MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can't get DS into the Ped, talked to the nurse

Jori

So, DS is coughing with a runny nose again. This has been going on since Christmas, gets better for several days than it's back. He's been into see the pediatrician at least once since this started (I think it might be longer than Christmas) and the same result. I called to make an appointment this afternoon for anytime I could get him in, they took my name, number and info and said the nurse would call back. She finally called back at almost 6 and told me the same thing. It starts with a low grade fever within 36/48 hours it goes up to 103 and the cough is lasting 4 weeks. Basically, it has to run it's course, clear fluids, cool mist vaporizer, stay away from dairy, give the little noses stuff, if it gets worse call back.

Annoyed and frustrated. So when DH finally makes it home tonight, I think we are going to have to sit down and talk about the both DD & DD going to the kinesologist/chiropractor to go on homeopathic. They need to get well and stay well and I need to be able to sleep before the arrival of DS #2 in June.

Jori, sorry to hear you are having trouble finding good care for your child. Hope a solution comes soon.

Hey, Jori, we have the same stuff going around my kids' school out here.

Almost the exact same symptoms. The cough lingers, but once the active infection is done, it's pretty harmless. I can totally understand that you want some good sleep, though!!! You poor thing!

A good and easy-to-give remedy for a really awful cough is a spoonful of honey, chased by as much water as you dare give your child right before bedtime. If they'll drink the honey mixed into a small cup of warm water, so much the better...my kids won't, though. The warmth would definitely help soothe the throat.

Good luck slogging through this bug, honey. It's been an awful year for germies. Try to get some rest during the daytime, if you can. Hugs to you all!

Thanks! We just came home from school, my parents (lunch), and doctor for DS. The virus that is going around had gone to a cellular level with him so he wasn't going to get rid of it by waiting a month. He got an adjustment & put on homeopathic drops and has improved a little so far (appt. was at 9:45) - you could see a spark of mischief in his eyes again. LOL

Thanks again!

Turtlemama - my mom use to give us honey and lemon in hot water. I think my mother-in-law said if you add some liquor to it, it's a hot toddy??? But I've been living on honey and lemon for 2 days now.

Thanks! We just came home from school, my parents (lunch), and doctor for DS. The virus that is going around had gone to a cellular level with him so he wasn't going to get rid of it by waiting a month. He got an adjustment & put on homeopathic drops and has improved a little so far (appt. was at 9:45) - you could see a spark of mischief in his eyes again. LOL

Thanks again!

Turtlemama - my mom use to give us honey and lemon in hot water. I think my mother-in-law said if you add some liquor to it, it's a hot toddy??? But I've been living on honey and lemon for 2 days now.

LOL I didn't get the whiskey in the hot toddy until I was 15... :D Until then it was the non-alcoholic version! Of course, now I put in the "good stuff" for DH and I when we need it! :mornincoffee: My kids still get just the honey (because they hate lemons, silly little people!)! hehehe

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo glad your DS is feeling better now!

Archived