MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

Opened a jar of my canned chicken, some canned potatoes, and whipped together some chicken gravy from a homemade mix. Nothing special other than the chicken and potatoes were from 2008 and they were as flavorful as the first day they were canned.

Yesterday, I just had green beans for supper. It was so hot and humid that I just didn't feel like eating. DH worked outside all day and wasn't very hungry, either. He just had salad.

Today, we're having salmon filets on the grill. I'll make a veggie to go with that. Grilling will be good as it won't heat up the house more.

Marinating some chicken thighs in salad dressing and have some potatoes in the slow cooker outside. This would be a good day for salad, but there isn't any left after yesterday.

Had some left-over cold pasta salad (regular lettuce mixture with bow tie pasta & sesame seed oil drizzled over it) along with seasoned meat balls and baked beans. Needed to use up some things before we go camping for the holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

Lambs quarters pulled and set aside when weeding the new strawberry bed...a nice 4-oz steak, corn (saved some for fish bait later) and mashed potatoes & gravy. Very simple and uneventful, except for the greens...they were so good I was GLAD my room mate does not eat greens!

Lambs quarters pulled and set aside when weeding the new strawberry bed...a nice 4-oz steak, corn (saved some for fish bait later) and mashed potatoes & gravy. Very simple and uneventful, except for the greens...they were so good I was GLAD my room mate does not eat greens!

What do Lambs quarters look like Kappy? I keep looking a pics on the web but just can't figure out how to be sure in the real world.

• 1 month later...

Bacon, tomato, onion and mayo sandwiches. Then fresh bing cherries for dessert. I ate way too many cherries. I probably should have stopped eating them when I started hearing my tummy talk back to me. But they were so good. And already washed...

My room mate had leftover scalloped potatoes & ham (her favorite dinner, even reheated). I had catfish (she does not eat fish). Oh yes, soaked in buttermilk 30 min, then poached with Mrs. Dash garlic & herb mixture. Mmmmm. Made the garden fresh wax beans & fresh tomatoes almost an after-thought.

What do Lambs quarters look like Kappy? I keep looking a pics on the web but just can't figure out how to be sure in the real world.

Looking at photos on the web sometimes helps, and is a good start, but you need to look for triangular leaves with wavy (varies, sometimes almost serrated) edges, growing on little stems up a center stalk. They are often 'frosted' with white or sometimes pink on the upper leaves. The frosting is one of the most certain identifiers. Their stems are ridged too which is another good identifier.

They have blooms that are very unobtrusive- just some little stalks with rough & tiny balls on them, clustered at the tops of the plant. The tops of taller plants (12 inches or more) and entire smaller plants (8 inches or shorter) are the most tender. They taste very much like beet greens, if you like those. (My dad still picks & eats them and he's in his 90's and healthier than many in their 50s. His sisters-in-law think he is one crazy dude, eating the weeds....)

They are good boiled, steamed, or cooked any way you would cook greens. They dehydrate nicely, too - blanch them like spinach, then dry in a thin layer.

On another note, tonight's menu was some huge catfish fillets (marinated in buttermilk 30 min, then poached with some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb blend, along with the first ripe tomatoes and some green beans from the garden. Everything home-raised, caught in the local river, and very fresh. I noticed a distinct difference in how I felt after that meal, as opposed to one from all store-bought foods...kind of weird.

Edited by kappydell

Not weird at all, kappy. The nutritional density of fresh foods compared to processed, is HUGE.

Tonight we're eating vegetarian : stir-fry with garden veggies over rice or lentils. Dessert is fresh figs, halved, brushed with honey and broiled. I may serve them over a lightly sweetened socca if I get motivated (flat bread made from chickpea flour), and if I get really really motivated with a cashew cream.

Gonna try my hand at Chili Rillanos (sp?) tonight, with spanish rice & refried beans. Mtn.Man loves them so...here goes!

PS...got home too late, stopped at Asian Buffet for din-din...:-) Tomorrow nite's Chili R's...

Edited by Philbe

I was busy all day and it was after 8:00pm so I stopped in KFC and got a potpie to take home. Darn thing had a slice of bone in it. No harm done but it still skeeved me out. I'm one of those who has to pick all of the chicken off of the bone before I eat it. No skin, no fat, no gristle, no cartilage and no bones. Kinda why I got the potpie. :sigh:

Found a container of chicken soup in the freezer (I don't freeze with rice or noodles in it). Thawed that out, brought it to a boil, dumped a near equal amount of rice into the pan. Let the rice absorb the broth. And there was the chicken rice dish I ate for supper.

I'm ready for cooler weather. There's no soup left in the freezer!

Oh, and cantaloupe.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary