MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A New Season of Wild Edibles

DH and I picked asparagus again today. It grows wild in the ditches and belongs to anyone who gets it first. It makes for an exciting game in the neighborhood. We country people are easily entertained!!! :twister3: We probably have a total of a 1 1/2 gallon bag in the freezer, with more to come.

Dandelions are thick too. I used to make dandelion jelly but no more. I loved to make and serve to city people. They all spray their yards to get rid of the dandelions so it was fun to show them how good the jelly was. Actually, it's kind of bland and not really that wonderful but my city relatives were impressed! :eclipsee_Victoria:

That's all I can think of for wild edibles ready around here now. How about where you live?

Keep your eyes on the ground and enjoy the results of your find! :cele:

Well wink, may go take a walk towards evening and see what last nights rain storm made surge up high today, lol.......or go extensively foraging for greens tomorrow since I have to wait on my fishing license til next week.........

I also hope to find a fresh down branch of birch to use for carving a cup or bowl or a cooking spoon or something. Would love to make a wooden dipper. Fresh birch is nice to use for carving since it cuts like butter in a man's hands.

( not on private property, but there are some areas you can walk around and find such on and its ok.)

Edited by arby

I've never tried whittling Arby so have no idea on woods to use for what. We do have birch so maybe I'll try making a wooden spoon. Wouldn't that be something!!!

Wild blackberries? Wow, they sound good and then on top your pie my mouth watering.

If you get some birch make sure its fresh wood or it breaks down really fast and becomes very brittle and cracks as it dries too much.

That's why I like to go out after a good storm because there is always new wood fresh on the ground.

I follow a fellow on FB and his blog who does wonderful birch carving. He can make a lovely cup in two hours time.

It is one of the easiest woods to carve and has a beautiful grain when shaped.

Get something with a bend in it if you need to have an angle in a spoon or dipper shape type carving.

Once done you can oil it with olive oil if you like.

Big pieces make lovely bowls and serving dishes too.

His favorite is the Kuska or Kuksa, its a Swedish style of cup that has a curved handle, but a simple cup without a handle is very easy to do too.

Once made of fresh birch, as long as its solid to begin with it will last many years.

Edited by arby