MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hypoglycemia

Quickie history...

'Old-old school' terminology, diabetes was detected and clinically defined as sugar/keytones in the urine and/or other body fluids.

Then the hyper-hypo-diabetic terminology was brought in. These are 'old school' terms.

Hypo = consistantly low blood sugar, body naturally produces too much insulin. Not diabetic.

Hyper = consistantly high blood sugar, body naturally does not produce enough insulin. Not diabetic.

Diabetic = 'out of control', 'high and low', 'bouncing'.

Today those terms are not used and are 'depreciated'.

Today, everybody is diabetic if not in 'bounds'.

Any recording on a standard meter of above 180 or below 80. mg/dl.

Or, new wrinkle, any recorded reading of a high (>6%) or low (<4%) A1c.

(A stressment here, a STANDARD A1c. There are alternates with different scales.)

Per an old ADA posting, the idea is/was to 'uncomplicate'.

This was controvercial, but been accepted.

I will shut down now.

Sarah

All I can read is for the most part, doctors tell patients to listen to their own bodies and eat accordingly. Main prescription is glucose tablets. But nothing I have read gits everyone even part of the time.

I do not, nor ever have eaten a lot of sugar. I simply do not like sweet food!

I can with sugar but it is always with light syrup, my jellies may not firm as well because I use far less sugar than the recipe calls for.

Being old fashioned, Sarah,I prefer the old way of looking at things. Grin..

When I first began having the "light headedness" episodes, I thought perhaps I was looking at insulin issues since my grandfather, his daughter (my aunt) were diabetics. My son is also very diabetic. But doc says it's inner ear issues. I have a constant ringing in one ear (not loud enough to drive me up the wall though!) and it never goes away. Allergy tablets (in worst times) and OTC motion sickness tables help me "get my feet under me"! LOL I try to avoid taking anything, but sometimes they're a must. I have a peppermint cream that I make up that I smooth on my cheeks at night sometimes to help "calm" my sinus etc.