MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

sweet sour sauce for whatever I can find for a stir fry, hot and sour soup, or a rice salad. Would make an interesting addition to cole slaw, too, chopped up of course.

HOT AND SOUR SOUP (cheap, too...)

1 qt water

4 bouillon cubes (32 cents)

1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce (5 cents)

1/2 teaspoon vinegar (3 cents)

1 egg, beaten (14 cents)

2 TB soy sauce (120 cents)

2 TB cornstarch (20 cents)

optional: cooked leftovers (the gifted asian veggies and the pinapple)cut up to suit taste

Combine all ingredients except eggs. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until slightly thickened. Stir beaten eggs in stirring only one way, vigorously enough to make them spin threads as you add them gradually. Total recipe equals 84 cents, one cup is 21 cents.

(I'd put the pineapple in too, and adjust the vinegar to taste).

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE (I like this one from cooks.com as a base)

2 tbsp. cornstarch

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. white vinegar

1/4 c. pineapple juice (I presume the pineapple & water chestnuts have pineapple juice in it)

2 tsp. soy sauce

1/4 c. water

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer gently 5 minutes, remove from heat. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator and serve cold.

Sweet sour sauce is variable from cook to cook. Chop up the pineapple bits and leave them in for a chunky sauce. Make a large batch, then use as sauce for the stir-fry made from the chinese veggies along with some thin sliced onions and cabbage, and put the whole thing over rice. Vegetarian delight - even cooler (and stretches farther) with softened TVP, cut up leftover meat, or what have you.

Those water chestnuts & shoots are nice and crispy - would go well in a rice salad, too. Save the juice for the marinade/dressing.

RICE SALAD

4 cups cooked rice

1 cup frozen mixed veggies, thawed

1 TB honey

1 TB teriyaki sauce

1 or 2 sliced green onions

salt, sugar and pepper to taste

optional: a shot of Tabasco or some hot chili pepper shreds for fire eaters or Thai food lovers

1/2 tsp fresh ginger chopped fine (or 1/4 tsp powdered - to taste)

the gifted asian veggies, drained (save liquid) and chopped a bit

Combine juice from cans, honey, teriyaki sauce and ginger. Adjust proportions to taste - some add a little vinegar, some add sugar, some don't. You want a salad dressing balance. Mix into remaining ingredients and let marinate in refrigerator.

Edited by kappydell

I always did like to play with my food, and asian food is one of my new playgrounds! Send me an e-taste! I think the last thing I tried was my sweet potato sprouts...they were delicious! Im growing more this year (just bought the sweet potato, as a matter of fact...) The re-growing of the celery root and the green onions was interesting, but I neglected to re-plant the celery and the green onions were too ditsy (not to mention I kept tipping over their water bowl). Im a klutz - what I don't spill the cats do. But we have fun.

OK...here's your e-smell! I took one BIG Farberware deep skillet, put in a little bit of sesame seed oil, dumped in a package of frozen cauliflower/carrots/broccoli. Then added my terriaki (?) marinated beef strips and cooked until thoroughly done. Added 2 cans of the pinapple/chestnuts and 1 can of the sprouts & chestnuts...drained. Served it up with rice on the side. Pretty tasty for a beginner! LOL We love chinese food but I've just never attempted to cook any of it other than the quick stir fry thing, so we've always gone to our asian buffet (which is wonderful!)when we need a "chinese food fix". LOL Thanks for the directions, and I'll be trying more!

*blinks*

Somebody, please, try that hot and sour soup and report back on it.

Hot and sour soup used to be my go-to when I had sinus crud, but I haven't been able to find a good recipe or any place that doesn't put wheat in theirs.

Oh, that smells just wonderful! How bout that? I use the hot & sour soup all the time to melt sinus crud!! I like mine stronger though, so I add double the vinegar and tabasco. it also takes all manner of chopped leftovers, kind of like a chinese everything but the kitchen sink soup, but with a kick. I cheat occasionally though and make just hot and sour broth - adding tabasco & vinegar to just the bouillon. The soup and nice hot kung-po chicken keeps my sinses cleared up nicely. Im practicing egg rolls now, learning to make the wrappers.

Edited by kappydell

Yes, I have Tobasco but I'll have to sneak it in because MM doesn't like hot foods :-( I will try the "kitchen sink hot and sour soup" though. I like spicy/hot foods as long as I can still taste my food :-) Fixed speghetti tonight and "after" finishing our meal thought..."Philbe, why didn't you slip some of the pineapple/water chestnuts into the sauce? Next time...