MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

I have a lot of computer problems. I always have.

The last couple of computers I bought didn't come with restore disks so I went ahead and bought them. I know me. This computer is about 8 months old and I've restored it once and had to take it in to reinstall Word and a software program I couldn't get figured out. I'm tough on computers. :coffeescreen:

Sunday...desktop is going to have to have either a new reinstall or a new hard drive...grrrr! Only purchased 5 months ago but not under warranty, bought a re-build w/new parts. Took Abby for her vet check to renew her flea/tick meds and heartworm meds. She's now a 10 month old, 70 pound lab/aussie! Headed out shortly to stop by "homestead" and pick up my last bucket of ripened tomatoes, then to the "little house" to do some more work to get it ready for us this spring (I hope) and get this "occupy" house sold. Yesterday stopped by area Dutch store and picked up 4 big bags of dehydrated sliced potatoes and 2 large bags of diced potatoes, then re-sealed them with food saver & oxygen absorbers and sealed them in my "little white buckets" ... a few in each bucket. Figured it's easier (right now) to just buy the potatoes already dehydrated. I boil alot of fresh potatoes for my freezers for everyday use. Everybody have a wonderful Sunday!

Edited by Philbe

I hear you on buying some things already dehydrated. Oftentimes when you can buy them in bulk (I buy mine at Winco) it's cheaper when you consider the electricity costs and time it takes to do it yourself. I also do this with onions. We use sooo many onions and I can't seem to grow enough to meet our needs so I will often buy bulk dried onions. This year, I'm attempting to change this, I have onions and garlic squirreled away in the strangest parts of the yard!

I've enjoyed reading this thread, Thanks! Oh, and :rofl: at the powdered donuts joke!

I hear you on buying some things already dehydrated. Oftentimes when you can buy them in bulk (I buy mine at Winco) it's cheaper when you consider the electricity costs and time it takes to do it yourself. I also do this with onions. We use sooo many onions and I can't seem to grow enough to meet our needs so I will often buy bulk dried onions. This year, I'm attempting to change this, I have onions and garlic squirreled away in the strangest parts of the yard!

I've enjoyed reading this thread, Thanks! Oh, and :rofl: at the powdered donuts joke!

From Philbe...how do you "squirrel away" onions and garlic? Like you we go through ALOT of potatoes and onions! And YES...the powdered suger donuts joke sent me on a laughing frenzy!!! When I first started reading the reply post, I have to admit...I thought she was going to suggest perhaps something was open! ROTFL!!!

Monday...we're already into some near freeze nights, so all garden veggies are gone. Turned over the Mels Mix in our SQFT garden squares and will cover them with heavy black milar...to smother any future weeds that might be tempted, to encourage earth worms, and to keep birds etc. out of it. Mountain Man will return to some work projects for a couple of clients and I hear the laundry calling out to "wash whites!" By the way...I tried the laundry mix with Dawn and absolutely do NOT like it, especially for my whites. Guess I'll use it up on fragile washings (which I don't have much of) for sweaters or ??? Have a great Monday friends...and we're looking forward to our next "bug out" and especially our annual camp out for Thanksgiving. Still trying to find a solution for a new desktop pc.

Tuesday...with reluctance, told son we were going to have to reclaim our other pc ... I know he's got a long face, but we just can't keep using our little notebook like a desktop unit. it's only for emergencies & for when we're traveling. It's not for powering 4-1 printer, fax, copy & scan machines etc. Plus...this tiny keyboard and tiny screen make it really difficult for us who are amongst the "over the hill" gang! LOL He's got most of his business taken care of now, and what he needs to take care of he'll have to go the library...it's free. Or he can try to barter out his laptop for an up and running system. We offered to throw in an older fax machine and some hard drives Mountain Man kept when he did some scraping earlier this year. We're just not in a financial position to foot the pc bill for him. The "homestead" has been eating our lunch...we've got two occupants in two apartments, and neither are paying rent! Mom's in the lower apt., son's in the upper. How did we get into this fix? GOT TO get this antique we're liivng in SOLD!!! But...gotta get the "little house on the hill" finished before we can move into it! As I mentioned once here...ever feel like you're taking care of everybody but yourself!? Guess I'd better stop my whining...just sounding off where there's some people who understand...

A lazy day here too and COLD. It is 6C but the wind is blowing 90mph. We are tired after our traveling adventure, and our bed felt pretty welcoming and cozy for a nap this afternoon. Philbe, our trip was a little taste of "taking care of ourselves". We will have to nurture that in less expensive ways for awhile, but we can coast on good feelings for a time. Hope you get some good coming your way soon too. We surely do understand.

Edited by lovinit

I am doing better physically and emotionally. this is good. Every day its a little better. Someone now has me hooked on garlic cheese biscuits too and made Miss Macy's week for sure. Laughter is good medicine and its gorgeous outside , or was in day light.

Chicken Soup for the soul as well as healing physically.

Thankful I can still check in for the moment. Its a good day. tomorrow may be more challenging.

I put my language discs from the books I had bought when Borders went out of business over a year ago? on my laptop. Tomorrow I need to set up the printer again and am able to do light chores so that is good since I have my VA ICW coming over.

I am trying to adjust to winter coming but todays bright skies and trees were a blessing. Wish I could get out and get panoramic photos and put one over my desk of a vista I love nearby. But I can think about how it must be. So dynamic today. Definitely in color, it would go with the theme I have in my home too.

Miss Macy is delightful and enjoying her special treats and some toys and we are working at play time to make sure she knows she can be active. Well, she doesn't really need me to say so, she has her own methods some days! She likes to include me however, so it is good for both of us to have those moments. Really simple pleasures, hot cocoa in my coffee first things in the morning as its a bit brisk. One of those fuzzy blankets on my knees and checking for cool and fun posters and pics on fb from friends as I wake up. I can indulge, well sometimes.

Chocolate is its own food category, as many of us know. it does me good and I do keep it reasonable. The Spanish used it to help restore health. It seems to be part of helping mine. ( Great logic right??)

So, on the mend although no one really knows whats going on except it caused my pancreas and IT system to not be nice. I realized it would take true coddling for this although honestly I have rarely ever had to do that before with anything . One of those I want to curl up in a tiny spot and not do anything but I found things I could do and it has helped in many ways and I get ready for the next stages of my life.

Had good news , possibly. Please pray my VA disability rating works out. I know it would be an incredible and is much needed as a practical blessing for me. I have been told its gone to the decision stage already, well more than a year but they evidently are pushing to get some done now as there are so many. It would help so much.

Thankyou. Have a great night!

Edited by arby

A lazy day here too and COLD. It is 6C but the wind is blowing 90mph. We are tired after our traveling adventure, and our bed felt pretty welcoming and cozy for a nap this afternoon. Philbe, our trip was a little taste of "taking care of ourselves". We will have to nurture that in less expensive ways for awhile, but we can coast on good feelings for a time. Hope you get some good coming your way soon too. We surely do understand.

Son was quite gracious in returning my former office pc to me when our "big one" did a crash. Got his laptop being worked on for alot less than it will cost us to buy a new windows system for MM's big pc. So...we did have a blessing today!

I am doing better physically and emotionally. this is good. Every day its a little better. Someone now has me hooked on garlic cheese biscuits too and made Miss Macy's week for sure. Laughter is good medicine and its gorgeous outside , or was in day light.

Chicken Soup for the soul as well as healing physically.

Thankful I can still check in for the moment. Its a good day. tomorrow may be more challenging.

I put my language discs from the books I had bought when Borders went out of business over a year ago? on my laptop. Tomorrow I need to set up the printer again and am able to do light chores so that is good since I have my VA ICW coming over.

I am trying to adjust to winter coming but todays bright skies and trees were a blessing. Wish I could get out and get panoramic photos and put one over my desk of a vista I love nearby. But I can think about how it must be. So dynamic today. Definitely in color, it would go with the theme I have in my home too.

Miss Macy is delightful and enjoying her special treats and some toys and we are working at play time to make sure she knows she can be active. Well, she doesn't really need me to say so, she has her own methods some days! She likes to include me however, so it is good for both of us to have those moments. Really simple pleasures, hot cocoa in my coffee first things in the morning as its a bit brisk. One of those fuzzy blankets on my knees and checking for cool and fun posters and pics on fb from friends as I wake up. I can indulge, well sometimes.

Chocolate is its own food category, as many of us know. it does me good and I do keep it reasonable. The Spanish used it to help restore health. It seems to be part of helping mine. ( Great logic right??)

So, on the mend although no one really knows whats going on except it caused my pancreas and IT system to not be nice. I realized it would take true coddling for this although honestly I have rarely ever had to do that before with anything . One of those I want to curl up in a tiny spot and not do anything but I found things I could do and it has helped in many ways and I get ready for the next stages of my life.

Had good news , possibly. Please pray my VA disability rating works out. I know it would be an incredible and is much needed as a practical blessing for me. I have been told its gone to the decision stage already, well more than a year but they evidently are pushing to get some done now as there are so many. It would help so much.

Thankyou. Have a great night!

From Philbe...I soooo hope it comes through quickly for you! My late husband and I fought 2 years for his disability (he had a brain tumor) before he rec'd it...but, they made it retroactive so it paid alot of bills and put a down payment on this "ancient" house I'm currently in...but...now, after 30 years, it's paid for! My son is currently awaiting his approval, he has diabetes, fractured back, and PTSD. Hang in there!

Wednesday evening...may I praise the Lord!!!??? Mountain Man and I went over to the homestead so he could load some tools into his truck...going to lay a laminate floor for a client...and I went to the house to say hi to Mom. When I opened the door, the smell of gas nearly knocked me down. MM went hunting but couldn't find any leaks so we immediately called gas company. They came with a "sniffer" and found a copper gas pipe in the basement had somehow cracked and was leaking gas! They repaired it so all is well. This could have been a VERY tragic happening for myself, Mountain Man, my mom, my son, and all of their beloved pets! Again, I just gotta PTL!!!

Wednesday...dreary day. Even Abby is playing lazy-daizy! Hey...does anybody around here reside in the central 4 midwest states? Just curious.

Which states are you talking about? I am in Missouri.

From Philbe...Missourian also.

Mountain Man checked out a book from our library..."Living Well on a Shoestring" from the penny-pinching editors of Yankee magazine. You can't believe all the neat stuff in it and it's truly "reader friendly"! Just short paragraphs etc., of different things people can do to save their dollars and/or stretch them.

:reading:

Friday...another dreary cloudy day but no real complaints. Did have to turn on the Edenpur that keeps our livingroom and kitchen toasty (smile)! We keep thermostat set at 60 for rest of house. I have several fleece "throws" that we keep handy if we want some added warmth further into the winter. Ours are deep green...Abby's are red! LOL She's already sleeping on hers on the floor on my side of the bed, along with her memory foam pillow (in a pillow case to keep her from chewing it!)...LOL Pampered puppy...yes, ashamedly I am guilty as charged! BUT...right now she's outside in the chill in her dog kennel, getting her "shedding" done. Mountain Man's working again today, so glad God's putting plenty of work into his skilled hands. This client had a tenant kick in a steel door and is thoroughly pleased that he's not going to have to replace the door, jam and frame. MM nearly has it all repaired. Also has to start laying a laminate floor for this client next week and then another client needs some sheetrock repaired after plumbing work was done. Can't scratch any "hitch itch" but that will have to wait, if nothing else until we scoot out for our Thanksgiving bugout. We like to go where the weather is autumn...ish. So nice to cook the turkey breast outside. Going to use my "oven" that sets on our Coleman stove. Would like to try my solar oven but if there's not much sun it wouldn't get hot enough to get it cooked in a reasonable amount of time. Anyway...it's just one of our "cheap" pleasures that we indulge in during Thanksgiving. It's not just a day event for us...it's usually a week or longer!

Saturday...just finished breakfast...a trial run on a "baked pancake" recipe that was in the book I'm reading (Living on a Shoestring). The only thing I added was a little cinnamon. Not toooo bad, but like my waffles better...LOL Only difference is in the baked pancake you don't use any baking powder or baking soda...which I do use in my waffle recipe. Anyway...like I said not too bad. Going over to the homestead to put some plastic over inside of upper unit windows to save son's heat bills this winter. So far he hasn't even had to turn the little stove on, gets his heat from the lower unit's ...(heat rises!). Then Mountain Man wants to work in his garage and try to find some tools he's going to need to lay a laminate floor for a client. The pic is one I took right after it had been built, sort of "pre-finish"...but he loves his man-cave! Thought he knew where they were hibernating, but didn't find them there (frown). Everybody have a great Saturday and may God's blessing be on each of you (in Jesus' name)...amen!

Edited by Philbe

I loved the Women on Target class today :hapydancsmil:

The whole thing was a very good experience, and empowering in a way, doing something I never did before, and that I faced some family opposition doing. Sadly, afterward I faced some ridicule from my sister, but, while I can't say it didn't bother me, I've been able to not let it detract from the sense of satisfaction I feel.

I even grazed one of the sporting clays -- okay, so it didn't break in a bunch of bits like the instructor's shots, but hey, I HIT IT nonetheless. THAT was so cool :) Loading the shotgun was a bit intimidating, but after I did it, I was feeling quite proud.

The handgun segment -- it was very good as well. My first time EVER for this too. And I managed to do pretty well. I also realized how heavy guns are! That or I need more upper body strength!

I left not being afraid, and wanting to take more classes. The instructors gave some very helpful tips on purchasing a handgun, and they also offer a beginner's pistol course (8 hours long!) that I am going to sign up for.

Another HUGE thanks to out_of_the_ordinary for passing along the links in a thread, otherwise I would have never even know these clinics existed :bouquet:

Edited by lumabean