MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple Pie Filling Recipe Needed

Carie

Flavorful Apple Pie

The “secret to this pie, is to mix “types” of apples, Sweet-Juicy, Tart-Juicy, Sweet & meaty, Tart & hard, Firm, PULPY, etc..

I use 7 or 8 “Types”, Red Delicious, Washington Red, Golden/ Yellow Delicious, Granny Smith, Galia, Roma, Sugar-crisp, ( in season— 1 only), ,Honey-Sweet, McIntosh, Wine-Sap, Johnathan, ( or any of their LIKE) According to what’s abatable where I live.

Length Slice the “meaty” (baking Type)

Length Slice the McIntosh

Short Slice the “Juicy” baking type, Golden Delicious–

Short slice the Jonathon

Cube the :tart” Rome & Granny Smith

Slice & cube the RED Delicious–

cube-crumble the Winesap Types

Each type Slice, or Cube is interspersed with in opposite, ( sweet on a sour, firm on PULPY) If you LAYER slices. Each layer is spread with the Cubes-crumbles apples.

Or you can MIX all this together and pour the mass into the Dough.

_----------------------------

I like the Apple falvor to come threw, so I use little sugar, and light spiceses

1 Pie, 8 Inch

The Sliced, Cubed, Crumpled apples

3 TABLE spoons Sugar

3 TABLE spoons Milk

2 tea-SPOONS Apple Pie Spice

1 tea-SPOON cinnamon

1 tea SPOON salt

Mix all ingredients in Bowl, place in pie tin/dough Bake in 450 oven 15 Minutes, turn doen oven to 325, bake another 45 minutes..

My Dough for this Recepie

2 & ½ cups A P flour

1 tea SPOON salt

1 Teaspoon Sugar

I cup Butter OR Shortning

1/4 Cup Apple cider----COLD COLD COLD

Cut the butter/shortening into dry mix well, add a few drops, apple cider ( water if you insist), mix slowly but well, leave the dough a bit “crumbly”. Flour your hands, Pick up by finger-full’s, a bit of the dough, work gently onto the pie tin, till the bottom & sides are covered with the dough, Smooth with some Juice or water to “connect” any seams, don’t overwork. Add apple mixture, shape, add flattened bits of dough here 7 there about the surface of the Apple pile, connect where you can with a pastry brush in Juice or Butter.. Or piles of “Crumbles” all over the pie. Bake

I moisten my pie crust throughout the baking to prevent it drying out to much......

ENJOY

Uh...Darlene..500 pounds...dehydrate a lot of them. Seriously.

And think about getting yourself a cider press if you are going to persist in this madness each year!!

I'd go to apple sauce..the kind you make from the chopped apples, without peeling them. The peels strain out when you put it all through the Foley food mill. I do a couple bushels this way easily and quickly in several huge pots at once. But 500 pounds must be something like 12 bushels...yikes!

JCK, I'm all over the place processing these apples. I'm not into much dehydrating (other than jerky), so today I have a 24 qt pot going with a bunch of apples (3 varieties) that I'll make into applesauce and apple butter.

I have the Squeezo food mill that I put it through after the apples cook down, which takes out all the peels, seeds and core for me. It's not that big a deal to do when I get on one of my focused missions...it's just getting focused that seems to be a pita at times lol.

Today, I'm just making 1 batch of the Apple Pie filling jam, a batch of apple pie filling, and the huge pot will cook down over night to process into sauce/butter tomorrow.

I am flagging this thread until I can get it printed. I have a new pork recipe that is so pitifully easy and it calls for apple pie filling.

Apple-Stuffing Pork...(From Kraft Foods) my guys love this...

The recipe calls for pork chops but I use pork loin (caught them half price and I use chicken in this also)

1 box stuffing mix - cooked according to box

1 can apple pie filling

4 chops

spray your baking dish with pan spray, spread filling on bottom of pan, top with uncooked chops, cover with cooked stuffing. Bake at 350 degrees until chops are done.

No...DON'T ever buy 1080 lbs. of apples, and then DON'T ever go back and buy MORE! Well...I can sleep easy, mine are done...Except for that box I bought today, hidden in the back of my van, and the 4 boxes, I bought, last weekend, and hid in the back of the basement. Now....My total, with the box I canned into applesauce for my dear 83 year old friend......1200 lbs....I am nuts! Oh well...I am getting through my apple thing...Now there are the 10 boxes of Romas, I just had to have......

Gosh Darlene--thanks for bumping this. thanks i have always used the cornstarch recipe--but I just deleted it from the cookbook and replaced it--you guys are so good at all of this bow OBTW, I use my canned apple pie filling to make fried pies--yummy. Well, we do fry everything down here in the south crazy

I was just thinking about fried apple pies today...I didn't have enough apple pie filling left to can to fill a quart, so I put it in a pint jar thinking that would be enough to make a couple of fried pies.

For breakfast, I layer the pie fillings, with oatmeal, in parfait glasses, and put whipped cream and sprinkles on top, or put it on top of waffles/pancakes, with whipped cream.

Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
I am flagging this thread until I can get it printed. I have a new pork recipe that is so pitifully easy and it calls for apple pie filling.

Apple-Stuffing Pork...(From Kraft Foods) my guys love this...

The recipe calls for pork chops but I use pork loin (caught them half price and I use chicken in this also)

1 box stuffing mix - cooked according to box
1 can apple pie filling
4 chops

spray your baking dish with pan spray, spread filling on bottom of pan, top with uncooked chops, cover with cooked stuffing. Bake at 350 degrees until chops are done.

I made this for dinner last night. It was good. yumyum DS even liked it (except for the stuffing part, but he scraped it off). Before I could ask him, he said "Yes, I do want this for lunch tomorrow." Another recipe added to my quick and good files.

Thanks for posting.

I have a homemade stuffing recipe I'll add here...We can't eat the store-bought kind. The MSG makes my husband and son ill, and doesn't do anything good for any of us!

Stove Top Clone

1/3 cup freshly chopped celery

4-5 slices white bread

3-4 slices whole wheat bread

3 tsp chicken bouillion

2 tsp chopped dried onions

1 1/2 tsp dried parsley

1/8 tsp EACH sugar and onion powder

To prepare, you need:

1 2/3 cup water

1/4 cup butter

Mince the celery tiny and dry overnight on a sheet pan overnight, or in a very slightly warm oven. I have a dehydrator, which makes it much easier!

Press the bread together to compress it and cube it. You should have about 4 cups of bread.

Dry the bread cubes in a 250 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes. You should have about 2 2/3 cups cubes after drying.

Combine the dried veggies, seasonings and bread. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.

To prepare the stuffing, bring the water and butter to a boil, stir in the veggie/spice mix, cover and let simmer 10 minutes. Add the bread cubes, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Darlene, you are making me laugh.....500 pounds of apples! That would have sent me over the edge. Please keep an accurate count of what 500 pounds of apples will do....filling, sauced, pureed, relished.....whatever you end up doing. I am curious to see how creative you are going to be.

I got tired of canning applesauce and pie filling so our small family, so I started dehydrating apples.

I really need a second dehydrator because this family of mine is eating them about as fast as I can dehydrate them.

Originally Posted By: Darlene
bumping this also...don't ever buy 500lbs of apples.

ROFLOL, I am sitting here, trying to picture 500 lbs of apples. I can't imagine eatting 50 lbs of apples a year, or 100 in two for our family much less 500 lbs.

Dry them. IMO that will allow them to last a lot longer than any other method of preserving.
Originally Posted By: HannaLee
I have a homemade stuffing recipe I'll add here...We can't eat the store-bought kind. The MSG makes my husband and son ill, and doesn't do anything good for any of us!

Stove Top Clone
1/3 cup freshly chopped celery
4-5 slices white bread
3-4 slices whole wheat bread
3 tsp chicken bouillion
2 tsp chopped dried onions
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp EACH sugar and onion powder

To prepare, you need:

1 2/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter

Mince the celery tiny and dry overnight on a sheet pan overnight, or in a very slightly warm oven. I have a dehydrator, which makes it much easier!

Press the bread together to compress it and cube it. You should have about 4 cups of bread.

Dry the bread cubes in a 250 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes. You should have about 2 2/3 cups cubes after drying.

Combine the dried veggies, seasonings and bread. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.

To prepare the stuffing, bring the water and butter to a boil, stir in the veggie/spice mix, cover and let simmer 10 minutes. Add the bread cubes, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Oh HannaLee you are my new hero. I told hubby this weekend that I needed to find a stove top clone recipe. I can't handle the MSG either. Thanks a million!!

1200 pounds of apples..... rofl My DH would have an absolute fit ..... I can't even imagine the look on his face. He is trying to come around to my way of thinking he just isn't quite there yet... I have canned like 300 jars this year and making plans for a lot more next year and when I said I wanted to be like the ladies on here with 1000's of jars he just shakes his head. Yeah! canning

My sister paid almost $40 for one bushel of apples...I felt so sorry for her, since she wants to do more and more, but the price isn't worth it.

I had boxes of apples laid out on top of my chest freezers, dining room table, kitchen table, counter tops, sun room floor, and in my bedroom. They were everywhere.

Now, tomatoes are laid out everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Cricket
Trying to picture 50 or 500 pounds? Here's a link to a neat chart to calculate the number of pounds in a bushel.

I *think* the lady said there was around 44lbs in each bushel...I got 12 bushels.

Archived