MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

I grabbed sandwich on the way home from VBS decorating. DH had leftover squash casserole. We both worked late and in the heat. Both. So. Tired.

Tonight we're going to have fried chicken tenders, green beans with potatoes and fried squash from our garden. I sautee up some Vidalia onions on the side to add to my squash. DH and his dislike for onions. :buttercup:

I opened a jar of steak I had canned last fall.

It was so tender when I stuck a fork in it it fell apart. It was a little dry but nothing a little steak sauce didn't fix. It's texture was more like roast beef than a juicy steak. But still good. It was nice to have when I was craving some steak. I have 10 jars left and will definitely can more to have on hand when they are gone. I'm not a big meat eater and to be honest, I enjoy the steak sauce as much as the meat. I'm not a 'foodie' or a picky eater.

I grilled them for a few minutes before I canned them so I could get the 'grill marks' on them. Waste of time. The lines disappeared when canned. I also marinated them before I canned them. I'm not sure that made a difference either but I'll marinate again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes, assuming I can get somebody to peel potatoes for me (hard with a wrist brace on). Will also do sauteed coleslaw mix.

Yup, it worked.

Kids even like the sauteed coleslaw. Apparently, it tasted like spinach. Yeah, I don't get it either. Sauteed it for a while on medium in bacon grease, then added a bit of soy sauce and salt.

Took a trip to a couple of our favorite plain people stores to re-stock some things. Stopped at the Amish restaurant buffet for a late lunch/early supper. We'll eat "something" later in the evening...a snack or something.

Actually my 'prepper meal' today was for brunch. We dug up one of our sweet potato vines to see if anything was underneath. Besides the sweet potatoes, I also harvested the leaves and leaf stems on the vine . The vine was too tough to be used as food but I twisted it into a wreath and hung it to dry to test its effectiveness for basketry. The leaves, however, I sliced up into strips; the leaf stems I cut up like green beans, about 1 inch long pieces. Then I made a stir fry and it was delicious! Sweet potato leaf stems, greens, precooked wheat berries, and chopped green onions and I had a feast! No wonder sweet potato greens are so popular in the Phillipines - they are good!