MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Still cleaning and rearranging my foods, and I found canned chicken (small cans like tuna) and canned oriental veggies mix dated 2012. :shakinghead: There was no bulging, rust, or dents in them. I know they've been stored correctly.

I bought an orange sauce to try with it, making it a kind of sweet-and-sour mix.

I had a "backup plan" if it wasn't any good. :whistling:

I opened the 2 chicken cans and the veggies and dumped them both together in a pan. They both smelled completely normal, and looked fine. I boiled them together for 5 minutes, then I drained them and added the jar of orange sauce. In the meantime, I made (fresh) rice. :)

DH's only complaint was that he didn't care for the orange flavor. He would have preferred a more traditional sweet-and-sour, or a Teriyaki - based flavor.

2012 is pushing it for me, but I wanted to *know*. So I figured I would make it a test and I could share my experiences with you people. :happy0203:

And I did tell DH *before* he tried it. ;)

:hidingsmile:

I'm still eating food from 2006 that was already expired or near so since it was obtained from a food distribution charity, both home and commercially canned, and of course dehydrated stuff. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the container is intact but I do encourage rotation.