MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kari's Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

I thought I would share my Chicken and Sausage Gumbo recipe with all of you. If any of you make it, please post and let me know how it turned out for you. ;)

Ingredients:

1 large chicken, washed

1-2 pounds of Andouille Sausage (or you may substitute with your favorite link sausage)

1 cup of vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups of flour

1 cup of sweet onion (Maya, Peru, Vidalia)

1 cup of sharp yellow onion (for bite)

2 cups of de-veined and finely chopped celery (Use the inner leaves! They are excellent.)

1 cup diced and de-seeded bell pepper

1/4 cup of finely minced garlic

3 sprigs of fresh thyme

2 cups of finely sliced green onion tops

3 bay leaves

1 tbsp chopped fresh basil

1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

4 tbsp of Cajun Spice (see recipe below)

3 tsp Hot Sauce

Salt and Pepper to taste

3 quarts of chicken stock (reserve the stock from your chicken, or use the organic, low sodium boxed variety)

cooked white rice

Place washed chicken into a large stock pot and cover with plenty of water. To make the boiling quicker and more thorough, I recommend quartering the chicken. Add a small amount of salt and a bay leaf. Set heat to a medium-high setting and boil the chicken until cooked thoroughly. Add water as needed. Remove pan from heat and let cool. Remove chicken from the stock and remove the skin. Pull cooked meat from the bones, removing the fat. Place all cooked meat into a container and put into the refrigerator until ready to use. Reserve stock!

Cut the sausage links down the middle and then into small 1/2 inch slices. Sautee sausage in a skillet over medium heat until cooked and slightly browned. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.

In a 2-gallon stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until golden brown. Immediately add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes or until all vegetables are wilted. Add chicken and sausage to the vegetable mixture and saute another 15 minutes. Stir mixture regularly. Slowly add the chicken stock, one ladle at a time - stirring constantly. Add bay leaf, green onions, thyme sprigs and basil. Bring this mixture to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for about half an hour. Skim any fat or oils that may rise to the surface. Add parsley, cajun spice, and hot sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer an additional 15 minutes (longer if needed). Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Serve over steamed white rice.

Cajun Spice

8 tbsp paprika

3 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper

5 tbsp of freshly ground black pepper

5 tbsp of garlic powder (not garlic salt)

4 tbsp of onion powder (not onion salt)

2 1/2 tbsp of dried basil

2 1/2 tbsp of dried thyme

5 tbsp of salt

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, blending well. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Yields 36 tablespoons.

**Note: This method will make the chicken stringy (which most people enjoy). I tend to also cook 1-2 pounds of chicken breasts, chop and add to the mixture during the final half hour of simmering. This gives people a little more to chew on. It's up to your preference.

**Note: I also cook my rice in 1/2 chicken stock, 1/2 water with a bay leaf for extra flavor.

Archived