MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ways to fill in a lop-sided 'tree'

geneology is a topic I usually avoided like the plague, until my son wanted to learn more about family history. From my husband's perspective, it's a piece of cake, his family has a long history that can be traced, right down to pictures and all of that. Mine is vastly different. I suppose what I am trying to do is make my 'cactus' blend in with the real 'tree' that my husband has so that my son can have a bit more of a balance.

Awhile back, I was really grasping, and did that National Geographic genographic program and I was thinking it would be more than it was. It pretty much just traced the maternal dna back - it didn't give much info though, very general (boils down to golly gee my people hail from planet Earth LOL). I wish I could think of a way to integrate even that little bit of info (pretty much just the general migration) in to a tree somehow. (???)

I am wondering if there's a way to get something together. I know I will never have the robust history that my husband has, but I am holding out hope for something. Or even just a different way of looking at it ..

goodmorninghummingbird.gif

Hi lumabean, first off, do you have forms/charts you can fill out?? If not, there are many places on line to print them from. This is just one place: http://www.familytreemagazine.com/info/basicforms

http://www.ancestry.com/cs/Satellite?childpagename=USLearningCenter%2FLearning_C%2FPageDefault&cid=1265124577005&pagename=LearningWrapper

I hope this one works for you. This is ancestry and it has all kinds of ideas and helps. They also have forms/charts you can print and use. Also, if you go to rootsweb.com you can get a lot of information.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi put the name you are looking for and any information you might have and it comes up with several answers and then you will have to look at them.

If you are needing infor, have you checked with USGENWEB usgenweb.com they go by state and then by counties etc.

I do hope this helps.

Snowmom

HUGS3.jpgHAVEAGREATDAYTEAPOT.gif

Lumabean..try talking to older relatives. It is surprising what info sometimes pops out. You may get some new leads that can point you in a fruitful direction.

Yes, the above.

Hubby's family goes back to Welsh and English kings circa 1200's.

Mine,...3 generations back to steerage passage and indentured servitude from Norway.

But don't give up!:darlenequeen:

Edited by Skagitgal