MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Apple To Use For What – Apple Varieties

~~Copied from HBHW~~ There are so many different types of apples, it makes it hard to choose. If you’re at the store, the farmers market or picking your own apples at an orchard, it’s good to have a basic idea of what apple works well for what. Not every kind is good for eating plain or baking into a pie. The list below has some of the most commonly found apples in the US. It is by no means an extensive list, but a great place to start.

Cortland

This is a great baking apple with bright red skin and juice white flesh. They are slightly tart and don’t tend to discolor too quickly. Great addition to pies and cobblers.

Crispin

These are large apples with a yellow-green skin. They are juicy and crisp with a sweet flavor that lends itself to baking and making apple sauce.

Empire

Empire apples are a cross between McIntosh and Red Delicious. This is a great apple that works for just about anything including baking. They are also delicious for slicing and eating and even freeze well.

Gala

Glala apples are one of my favorite eating apples. They also make great apple sauce. I don’t recommend using them in baking. They tend to fall apart very quickly. They have a yellow skin with red striping.

Golden Delicious

If you are only going to keep one type of apple around, make it golden delicious. They have a mild but sweet flavor that tastes great if the apple is eaten fresh or baked. These apples also keep their shape well during baking, making them perfect for pies.

Granny Smith

This is one of the most popular apples around and for good reason. They are bright green and have a nice sour flavor. They are perfect for eating raw and hold up well in pies and crisps. I recommend combining them with some other apples (like golden delicious) for baking pies.

Honeycrisp

This is a fairly new apple variety that’s crisp and juicy. I love the honey-sweet flavor and use them quite a bit in pies and apple sauce.

Ida Red

This is a very old apple variety. Ida Reds keep their shape during baking and even freeze well. I use them for baking and in apple sauce.

Jonagold

These apples are a blend of Jonathan and Golden Delicious apples. They are best eaten fresh or used in apple sauce.

Jonathan

These apples are perfect for baking pies and cakes. They hold their shape well and have a nice crisp flavor. They don’t tend to be very sweet so adjust sugar as needed in baking.

Macoun

I have a bit of a hard time finding these apples at the grocery store. They are best eaten raw and have a pretty white flesh that pairs very well with sharp cheeses.

McIntosh

My favorite way to eat a good McIntosh apple is right from the tree. Since they break up easily when cooked, they are perfect for apple sauces but won’t hold up in a cake or pie.

Red Delicious

Don’t try to cook or bake with these. They are meant for eating as is.

Winesap

This is a firm but sweet apple that holds up well in baking and makes a great addition to your apple sauce as well.

My favorite was Granny Smith but now I use that for cooking..putting in oatmeal, apple crisp, etc.

I fell in love with Braeburns!!! But the Fujis are very good too.

My all time favorite is WHATEVER is on sale for $1 per pound!!! I will eat anything I can get....except red "Delicious"....cuz they're not unless you have them from an old tree before they ruined that variety.

MtRider ...I want to have my own orchard!!!!! :happy0203:

And bitter! I'm one who tastes 'bitters' more strongly. Too strongly to ever drink coffee....inherited my mother's taste buds, evidently.

But my aunt/uncle worked at an orchard and the Red Delicious were great, according to my mom. I've heard that before.

MtRider ...somebody ruined them! :baseballbat:

I agree that my favorite is the one I can get on sale, or work a swap for. My parents inherited an old orchard when they bought my childhood home, we had wonderful old-timey apples. The sauce apples were called 'transparent' because they were a yellow skinned, white fleshed apple which cooked down perfectly into sauce. They did not keep at all, and got mealy when over ripe. We also had "duchess of Oldenburg" apples long renowned for pies, but I loved them for eating, because they were just the right tart-sweet balance and very juicy. They kept medium well, but were nicest for summer pies. We had a 'whitney crab' which was a large sweet crab specifically developed for pickling. They were popular for selling to people with small children because the apples were sweet and just the right size for a child; and we had regular customers who canned lots of pickled apples. We had 'okabena' which was a biennial apple, but had heavy crops, so heavy they branches would bend down, making a tent underneath which was perfect for a teen age hideaway for reading; 'golden delicious' which we cellared all winter (they would wrinkle a bit by late spring but tasted mellow, like pears), Jonathans, "Snow" apples, and a larger coarser-fleshed one (but juicy and tasty as a late fall fruit) that stored for 4 months, which my grandfather said was called "sheepnose". Sometimes smaller nurseries will carry these localized favorites, otherwise to find them to grow y9u have to go the the St. Lawerence Nursery, which specializes in super-hardy heirlooms on apples, pears, peaches, etc. They are the only nursery I have found that sells homestead fruits hardy to 50 below zero!

Sad to say, the new apples are not as good, but then again, I am probably biased.....

'

I agree on the list of store-bought apples and their uses though, they correspond exactly to my findings....

Edited by kappydell