MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Long Does Vacuum Sealed Jars Last?

Can someone please tell me if I make some of the meal in a jar recipes with freeze dried or dehydrated whatever they are and then vacuum seal with no oxygen absorber how long a shelf life they have? Also can you make a meal in a jar and put a oxygen absorber in with it and just put a ring and lid on and it will seal and not have to be vacuum sealedn and what is the shelf life?? Someone told me you can and I don't know. I guess it would pull all the oxygen out of the jar by screwing the lid on tight, IDK. Just don't want to waste products or risk them spoiling.

I don't have any experience in this one. But I did a search and it looks like there's lots of info out there. But I have no idea which might answer your question. :scratchhead:

Here's the link to my "Dogpile" search - https://www.google.com/search?q=vacuum+sealed+jar+shelf+life&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

("Dogpile" searches multiple search engines, including Google, so I like to use it instead of JUST Google.)

:hug3:

I have vacuumed sealed jars with dry product that was still good 8 years later. None of them had oxygen absorbers in them. I would want an oxygen absorber in the jar if I were making meals in a jar.

:wormie2:

John