MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST!?

We have a thread for dinner, so how about breakfast! My grandma used to repeat the old saying "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper ... to keep you healthy and trim"...LOL

This particular morning MrWE2 took me to a lavish breakfast that has lasted us all day :-) Tomorrow? Probably eggs, sausage, an orange and a small bowl of oatmeal with honey & cinnamon....and my coffee!

For each of us: 2 over easy eggs, 1 piece of apple cider cured bacon, 1 piece of bread and an orange...and my coffee. MrsWE2 doesn't do coffee or tea, so his is water. Oh, also gulped down a juice glass full of that onery tasting 100% cranberry juice...then made my ugly face and stomped my feet...as usual when I down the hatch for the REAL cranberry juice!

Omelet; sausage, bell pepper mix, spinach, eggs & hard shredded cheddar cheese. One Yoplait light with granola. Coffee for me & water for him. Oh...and of course I do my "ugly dance" when I drink the cranberry juice!

Cinnamon raisin pancakes...that was it! Balanced the carbs out by corned beef on rye sandwiches for lunch and then very light on the supper menu...brats, sliced tomatoes, chili beans, and sliced sweet peppers.

When we want to treat ourselves, we make army style sos for breakfast.

1 lb hamburber, browned & drained

stir in 2 crushed bouillon cubes (we use low sodium) and 5 TB flour to coat the drained meat.

Slowly stir in 2 cups milk (any kind, we use skim) and a couple shots Worcestershire sauce, and heat & stir until thick.

Ladle over eggs, toast, bread, hash browns, what-have-you! We also use it on potatoes when we want a fast dinner.

We make it pretty mild here, but many folks like to add onion powder, cayenne pepper, or black pepper to spice it up.

Edited by kappydell

Been some time since I fixed biscuits and sausage gravy. It's not been on our breakfast list since we're cutting "some" carb etc., but...I'm thinking it would be nice to have some :-) this morning? 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 1 slice of toast & a greek yogurt. Stood on the scales this morning (before breakfast) and I reached my goal. Now...to keep it there until my body believes that it's supposed to weigh that :-)

Today it was steak & eggs....we had a tenderloin chunk that I cut into several nice thin steaks. Browned it up gently then served with scrambled eggs and fresh biscuits. I was a hero this morning!

BTW remember my 'ricochet biscuits?" When we were down south I bought some white lily flour (renowned all over the south as the no fail biscuit flour, and confirmed by a blogger on the internet - it does rise up 30% higher than other self-rising flours). Tomorrow I try it (they have a recipe on the back of the bag). Got my fingers crossed!

Blueberry shredded wheat cereal and two sausage patties. Headed out for a city-wide garage sale some friends were involved in, so breakfast was a quickie. Took a truck load and rained out Friday and didn't sell much at all. We're going to try one more local and then it's quits. Told the kids we're tired of hauling this stuff around. Money is tight and people are hanging on to their dollars I guess :-( Had women's jeans, women's pants, blouses and t-shirts for 50 cents...and didn't make a dent in the supply. Mother had sooooo many clothes, but she was short and squatty and the pants just weren't long enough for some women and too big for others :-( Guess we'll donate them to a local thrift store that keeps their prices low (salv.army prices stuff they get for free way tooo high!) and sometimes even gives clothing away. Anyway...long day.

Today it was steak & eggs....we had a tenderloin chunk that I cut into several nice thin steaks. Browned it up gently then served with scrambled eggs and fresh biscuits. I was a hero this morning!

BTW remember my 'ricochet biscuits?" When we were down south I bought some white lily flour (renowned all over the south as the no fail biscuit flour, and confirmed by a blogger on the internet - it does rise up 30% higher than other self-rising flours). Tomorrow I try it (they have a recipe on the back of the bag). Got my fingers crossed!

Don't handle the dough one second more than you have to. The batter should be wet, sticky, lumpy. Measurements will change drastically by the weather, so don't trust them. My granny had a big container of White Lily. She'd make a hill of it, and a caldera in the middle of the hill, and pour that full of buttermilk., She'd glop in a handful of crisco. She'd put her hand in that and squeeze the crisco to goosh it out between her fingers and when it was in fairly small pieces would start turning the buttermilk/crisco stuff over and over, mixing in a bit of flour with every movement, until patties of the stuff would just hold together. Those were the usual biscuits. For other biscuits she would pat out a layer of batter on a floured dish towel and cut out biscuits with a jelly jar--the kind with a cartoon character on it. the trimmings were just enough for one and a half biscuits. I got the half.

Not all the way full of buttermilk, but mostly. When she dropped in the crisco, the buttermilk did not overflow the caldera...or not by much.