MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oh What A Night

Jeepers

Are you guys getting tired of my doggy updates? Be honest. If I'm taking up too much time/space I'll stop. No harm...no foul. I'm trying to keep it in one thread.

...snip...

Prayers appreciated!

I'm enjoying the little stories and the pictures. IDK how anyone else feels.

:pray: for the dog and their handlers.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard anything more yet. Bentley and Carlene are still at the vet. The vet lives right next door to his office and he is on SDP board of directors and a friend of Carlene's so I'm sure the best care is being given. He is only about 5 min. from SDP.

The electricity was what was causing him to not let go if Carlene's wrist. It was causing muscle spasms and there was nothing he could do.

Oh my, what could have been...They could have been electrocuted. If a paralyzed person with their dog would have gotten on that elevator... George and Bella... It was an elevator for the handicapped.

Here is what she had to say in her daily blog today. I cleaned it up a little. No bad words but even she laughs at her own spelling. And she writes in caps so she can see it better. Her daughter was there today and said Bentley is very traumatized.

I WANTED TO HAVE A TRIAL RUN ON THE ORANGE LINES SUBWAY TO SHANNON 47'S PLACE AT THE OTHER END OF THE LINE. ONLINE THEY SAID HANDICAP ACCESSABLE. I PARKED NEAR THE ENTRANCE BUT THE ELEVATOR WAS OUTSIDE AGAINST THE TOWER TYPE BUILDING. I PUSHED THE BUTTON, DOOR OPEND BENTLEY WALKED IN, SCREAMED AND FLIPPED ON HIS SIDE SCREAMING AND SNAPPING. I REACHED FOR HIM, GOT ZAPPED AND FELL SITTING ON ONE FOLDED (UNHAPPY) LEG. AS I REACEHD FOR BENTLEY I GOT ZAPPED AGAIN (I KNOW THAT STUFF FROM ELECTRONIC FENCING DAYS) AND HE LATCHED ONTO MY WRIST AND HELD ON. AS I PULLED HIM OUT OF THE ELEVATOR ON HIS SIDE, ALL 160 POUNDS OF HIM, HE BIT TWICE MORE, MY OTHER HAND AND THEN MY KNEE, BEFORE HE LET GO. BY THEN MY WRIST WAS BLEEDING PRETTY STEADILY SO I GRABBED THAT AND SCREAMED FOR HELP. THERE WAS A WOMAN ABOUTO 50 FEET AWAY WHO SAID SHE CALLED FOR AN AMBULANCE BUT SHE WAS AFRAID OF DOGS.

BY THEN BENTLEY WAS STANDING QUIETLY RIGHT NEXT TO ME. SHE SCREAMED AT ME "HOLD ON TO HIM" AND THIS IS WHERE THE COMEDY STARTS. I COULDN'T HOLD HIS LEASH BECAUSE BLOOD WAS LEAKNG OUT PRETTY FAST. SO I STUCK HIS LEASH (THE ¼ X 20" PIECE OF ROPE) IN MY MOUTH AND THE ARRIVING EMT'S FELT MUCH BETTER ABOUT THAT. THE FIRE DEPT WAS THERE ALSO. I TOLD THE ASSEMBLED CREW WHAT HAPPENED AND THEY UNDERSTOOD SO I SUGGESTED THEY SHUT DOWN THE ELEVATOR. ONE OF THE MEN PRODUCED A KEY AND TURNED IT IN THE LOCK FOR OUT OF SERVICE.

CHAOS WAS STILL IN MY CAR, WHICH WAS PARKED NOT FAR AWAY, SO ONE OF THE FIREMEN SAID HE COULD DRIVE MY CAR TO THE HOSPITAL AS LONG AS I COULD ASSURE HIM THE OTHER DOG DIDN'T BITE. CHAOS IS KNOWN TO GET CONFUSED SO I ASKED THEM TO PUT BENTLEY IN WITH HER. ALTHOUGH I HAD MADE THEM FULLY AWARE THAT HE COULD /SHOULD RIDE IN THE AMBULANCE, POOR BENTLEY LOOKED BACK AT ME AS THEY TOOK HIM TO MY CAR. BUT THEY RETURNED HIM TO ME IN THE ER WHERE HE COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER BEHAVED.

THE EMT'S HAD WRAPPED MY WRISTS, BASICALLY TO COVER UP THE MESS, SO THERE I SAT IN THE ER WITH EVERYONE COMING OVER TO TALK ABOUT BENTLEY WHILE MY WRISTS WERE HURTING WORSE. FINALLY THE WAY I GOT ATTENTION WAS TO REST MY ARM ON THE RAIL OF THE BED AND DRIP RED BLOOD ON THE FLOOR.

SO A NURSE CAME AND UNWRAPPED THEM AND CLEANED THEM UP SOMEWHAT AND LEFT ME USING PEE PADS. THERE ARE DOCTORS, THEN THERE ARE PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS, AND IN THIS ER I WAS BEING TREATED BY AN ASSISTANT TO THE PHYSICIAN'S ASSISTANT. MEGAN ARRIVED AND TOOK BOTH DOGS HOME. OF COURSE I HAD NOTHING TO DO EXCEPT STUDY THE STERILE TECHNIQUE OF THE VARIOUS PEOPLE WHO CAME AND WENT.

THERE IS AN ART TO HANDLING STUFF IN A STERILE MANOR WHICH DOES NOT INVOLVE PICKING UP DROPPED ITEMS FROM THE FLOOR WITH STERILE GLOVES OR LOADING A SYRINGE (TETNUS) WITH STERILE GLOVES WHEN YOU ARE HANDED THE VIAL OUT OF THE CLOSET. GEORGE (VETERNARIAN) WOULD HAVE HAD A FIT. SHE DID PUT IN 2 STITCHES ACROSS A GAPING WOUND IN MY KNEE AFTER DISCUSSING IT AT LEGNTH WITH THE PA AND SHE MADE 11 KNOTS PER STITCH. I COUNTED, I HAD NOTHING TO DO. THEN THEY COVERED EVERYTHING UP WITH WHITE BANDAGES AND NO ANTIBIOTIC GOO BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY. 2 WRISTS AND A KNEE. THE SDP VOLUNTEERS AND STAFF SWUNG INTO ACTION DELIVERING AN EXTRA DRIVER AND I WAS PICKED UP.

BENTLEY WAS BREATHING, PUFFING SHALLOW BREATHS. GEORGE WAS ON DECK BY NOW AND HAD MEGAN COUNTING. HE WAS BREATHING FASTER ETC. SO IT WAS DECIDED TO TAKE HIM DOWN FOR A LISTEN AND MAYBE AN XRAY. CONCERN IN ELECTRICAL ACCIDENTS IS APPARENTLY FLUID COLLECTING IN THE LUNGS/HEART OR SOMEWHERE. SO WE SAT AROUND ON THE FLOOR WITH BENTLEY AND COUNTED BREATHS. HE DID NOT SEEM TO BE GETTING WORSE SO WE WENT HOME. GEORGE SAID FOR 24-48 HOURS WE NEED TO MONITOR HIS BREATHING.

DURING THAT TIME GEORGE GOT TO EXPLAINING WHAT HE DID WHEN HE GOT BITTEN, NOT WANTING TO BE ACCUSED OF GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE TO A HUMAN (ME) HE DID SAY BEST THING WITH TO DOG BITES IS SOAKING IN A BETADINE SOLUTION SO WE BOUGHT SOME ON THE WAY HOME AND GRACE MADE A SOLUTION IN A (CLEAN) DOG DISH. I SOAKED AND SHE SCRUBBED AND FOUND SOME NEOMYWHATEVER AND REBANDAGED MY 2 WRISTS AND A KNEE.

I FEEL A LOT BETTER TO HAVE SOME PROPER BANDAGING AND ANTIBIOTIC UNDERNEATH BUT IT HURTS SO I DID NOT HAVE MUCH SLEEP. WHEN YOU FIGURE THE CRUNCH OF BENTLEY'S JAWS AS HARD AS HE COULD ON MY WRIST, I WONDER IF THERE MAY BE SOME BROKEN BONES IN THERE. SO I MAY JUST GO TO LAHEY TODAY AND SUGGEST AN XRAY. THE PA'S ASSISTANT SAID MY HUGE KNEE WAS PROBABLY JUST FLUID AND IT IS WORKING PRETTY WELL.

ABOUT 9PM ONE OF THE TV CHANNELS CALLED TO SEE "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 78 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO GOT ELECTRUCUTED ON THE ORANGE LINE." THEY MUST LISTEN TO THE EMERGENCY RADIOS. WHEN I TOLD THEM IT WAS GEORGE'S (BELLA'S) FATHER, EARS PERKED UP THEY SAID THEY WOULD CALL TODAY.

I WONDERED WHO WAS THE BUILDING INSPECTOR AND WANT TO KNOW WHEN IT WAS INSPECTED LAST. NOT THAT I AM SUE INCLINED, BUT GEORGE POINTED OUT IT WAS POINTLESS TO SUE AT 78. THEY WOULD PLAY THE ODDS OF ENDLESS DELAYS.

AND SO IT GOES.

What a terrible thing to happen! They'll be doing some rehab work with Bentley to get him to enter another elevator? Dogs will bite when they're hurting, no matter how much they love you. Abby got her foot caught in a chain once (we'll never put her on a chain again!) and when MrWE2 was getting her released, she bit down on his thumb. Once she was free and realized she'd bitten him, she began to lick his hand and finger :-) So Bentley couldn't help himself. SOOOOO glad he's doing better Jeeps! PTL!

Bentley was thrashing about and just clamped on the first thing he could get a hold of. Plus pain and fear. No one blames Bentley especially Carlene...she was getting shocked too and was feeling the pain. I'm not sure if they will ever try to get him on an elevator again. He is Carlene's personal service dog and pulls her around in a wheelchair at places like Home Depot and Costco's. I guess it will be up to him. He is a major stud dog there at the farm though. He is still lying around but giving lots of kisses and wagging his tail. And getting lots of attention.

Here they are last fall. He's a big dog.

And Bentley as a puppy.

post-2492-0-87374200-1453863833_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-75264800-1453863853_thumb.jpg

Magnificent dog! Hope he's okay...and gets over his trauma. If she's HIS person, I'm so glad they let him be at the ER with her for a while. I know Koa gets upset if I even take the truck down to the barnyard without her to guard me. They know their job and their person!

MtRider :wub:

Carlene took Chaos (and a cake) to the firehouse to say thank you to her rescuer. Chaos is looking at Carlene who is sitting on the bumper outside of camera range. The other dog is Clark. Bentley is in quarantine because he bit. The people in charge said it would definitely not go against his record as a biter. Someone told her if she had fallen forward instead of backward they both probably would have been electrocuted because she would have still have been standing in water and would have completed the current. Shudder.

She is doing pretty well but Bentley has PTSD. He will need some retraining. He's very needy right now but is getting lots of reassurances from everyone. A loud noise happened in the house the other day and he yelped. It really scared him. Asked if she would take him on another elevator she said probably not. Why subject him to that terror all over again. She's not even sure she will go on one again.

One of America's Finest:

post-2492-0-90038300-1454301485_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeepers

I don't know why dogs love these cars so much but all of the litters have played in them. Guess this one needed some chains.

An unexpected guest arrived to visit Carlene in her house today. Sigh. You'd think she was raised in a barn. :grinning-smiley-044:

post-2492-0-76087000-1454803186_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-77429700-1454803202_thumb.png

:icon19:

I thought about you yesterday. She has one of those hospital type beds too. She had the area under her knees bent up and had the head of the bed raised to watch TV. Ahhh, livin' the life! Then the power at the house went out. She was stuck in a "/\/" position in the dark until they (volunteers) could get the generators fired up. Of course the kennels came first so there she sat practicing her 'wait'. She's a chubby 78 year old...she wasn't going anywhere in that position. :008Laughing:

"....practicing her "WAIT"......" :008Laughing:

Yeah....before leaving for a visit with my folks or shopping or whatever....I make sure to leave mine in a "DOWN" position....for the same reason of losing power and not being able to sleep in the N position.

MtRider ....like to be doing HALF of what she does when I'm in my 70's. ....like to be doing that right NOW! :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update on little Hunter. He had his surgery last month and is doing great. He is still in a special brace from his hips to his knees but he is adjusting well. Wendy has done an awesome job. She had a little time adjusting to his wheelchair but with a day of training...she is now a pro!

From Hunter:
All thumbs up today from the doctor! I am healing well. And now mom and dad say the hard work starts my rehab!!! I am able to start some standing with my new braces, start pool therapy next week, and have no restrictions with moving my legs. I need to do everything slowly and as I tolerate. Very long day, but it's better with good news!

post-2492-0-26314200-1456974317_thumb.jpg