MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

waiting to see if i can get an equity loan to buy a small place down in GA. The plan is to sell place #1 after a bit (have had offer of $80,000) and pay off the loan, thus leaving the GA home free & clear. Found a nice prospect - 3 BR, double wide 2 bath mobile home, built 200, on 1 acre, own well & septic. Just minor cosmetic issues, walking distance to a lake & deeded access boat landing. under $50,000. fingers are crossed. I like it down here, no snow, MUCH lower taxes, many fewer legal restrictions on personal land usage. Waiting to see what happens...

:thumbs: Hoping all goes well!

Thursday evening we joined several friends for a Christmas dinner party and so relaxing. After a fine meal we played some "guess" games (that were a hoot!) and then sang some Christmas songs (another friend brought her keyboard). Oh...if you want a really funny game...find yourself a paper grocery bag and put eight "things" in it. Hand out paper and pens to everyone. WITHOUT LOOKING IN THE BAG, each person feel around inside and secretly writes down what they think each item is. Then they pass it to the next person ...so on and so on. It's really funny what some people write down! Friday we went to an Amish store so I could pick up some more dried elderberries (to make some more syrup), some canning rings (had to pitch a few this last time around) as well as butter flavored coconut oil for our popcorn. Then after supper last night, we loaded up and went around town to view the Christmas lights as well as the very popular "dancing lights" in a subdivision. They really do a bang up job. Takes about 10 minutes of sitting with your car radio turned to a specific station & watch the lights and music. We love it! Abby-girl didn't so much...figure? But, she goes ape when she hears out GPS lady voice. Then had popcorn and hot chocolate when we got home. Today...made a trip to our local hardware store to pick up some corks. Want to use a hard cider bottle (dark brown) for the elderberry syrup. I also want to make up some kombucha this spring and I'll need the corks for those bottles also. Made a trip over to the homestead for Mr to exchange some of his books and took all the canning I had done with us. Then had supper, exchanged our gifts and then watched the news and that's about it for this evening. Mr bought me a gift set of a Zippo lighter & hardwarmer (with the fuel), a flip knife and a leatherman (for my BOB). He also got a knife and a leatherman, and I crocheted a bar of his favorite shower soap into a scrubby. I left a "tail" on it so we can change out the bar of soap when he needs to. Got all our taxes paid for the year...and can now breath a bit easier. Having 3 makes it really tight. But we'll be getting out from under this one at least before much longer. Merry Christmas to everybody!

Edited by The WE2's

We went out to pick up a couple things. Yes, it was a mad house. For giggles, we went into Toys R Us. So many Grandparents walking around with lost looks on their faces. And the store looked like it had been raided. Wow.

A couple of Mil's cousins visited. IDK Spanish, so I listened with a stupid look on my face. MIL says they know English. It is what it is.

Had a quiet evening and got some sleep.

Today, my ToDo includes, fixing the water heater because the pilot light went out. Then, cooking/smoking a rib roast and making home made mashed potatoes.

Merry Christmas everyone! Happy Birthday Jesus!

waiting to see if i can get an equity loan to buy a small place down in GA. The plan is to sell place #1 after a bit (have had offer of $80,000) and pay off the loan, thus leaving the GA home free & clear. Found a nice prospect - 3 BR, double wide 2 bath mobile home, built 200, on 1 acre, own well & septic. Just minor cosmetic issues, walking distance to a lake & deeded access boat landing. under $50,000. fingers are crossed. I like it down here, no snow, MUCH lower taxes, many fewer legal restrictions on personal land usage. Waiting to see what happens...

Nice! What part of GA?

Merry Christmas everyone!

I spent all night with about 500 of my closest friends watching a dog sleep. It was a lot of fun (really) and some of them are still going. Lainie was due to deliver some puppies. It would have been nice if it would have happened on Christmas Eve. But it was even nicer that it happened on Christmas morning. Her first litter. So far four boys and one girl. That will probably be it.

One perk of living alone is I only have myself to answer to and can do whatever whenever. With Gussies 9 about 10 days ago and Lainies 4, hopefully there will be some more stellar service dogs coming up. Gotta start saving my pennies for wee-wee pads and goats milk. Takes a village dontcha know... :blah:

:sleep1::offtobed::sleep1:

Munching ribs and happy I didn't have to try to cook them.

Got in a barely-happened accident on Monday, getting barely tapped twice from the rear. Apparently got hit the second time while flinching from the first, which is what got me all inflamed. I was fine until I tried to leave when the highway patrol finished, then I wasn't. It got so bad I couldn't close my left hand enough to polish my glasses and couldn't carry my knitting bag in the left hand without crippling shoulder pain. I let stuff ripen on Tuesday, then went to chiro on Wednesday morning. He is not a pill guy. He insisted I go see an MD for pills. Probably wouldn't have normally, but with the hardware in my neck being less than two years old, he doesn't dare do any adjustments. So I'm on Day 4 of prednisone, and just getting over the desire to rip out throats left and right. Even the lawyer who embezzled much of the settlement from my 2014 wreck is probably safe around me today. It *is* Christmas.

I keep thinking this is not how I had planned to wrap this year up.

But you know, it could be so much worse.

I way overdid my seed order. Again. With little chance of planting more than the herbs and flowers my sons put alongside the walk. I'm looking at yet another catalog, from which I will probably buy things that will in the end go into other people's gardens to keep them from waste--and I regret nothing.

"But you know, it could be so much worse."

Aw, Ambergris. So sorry you're in fresh pain AGAIN. That word "again" has the capacity to send me over the edge in life. I too, am trying to keep in mind how much worse these days could be. And be thankful. It helps but only if you keep focused on that. :pray:

MtRider

(((((Ambergris)))))))

Rib roast is on the grill. Seared , and now on a slow smoke. Break time.

Water heater is staying lit, but MIL is going to replace it. It is 20 years old and she doesn't want it to quit while she is by herself.

DH & MIL are watching football, as usual. We brought an animated movie. We shall see if we will watch it, with all the scheduled games. They are addicted to football. Lol

Time is up, need to make sure the heat is staying consistent on Da's grill. It is an old Char-Broil. Cast iron door and grates. I love that thing, it has never failed me.

Biscuit and sausage gravy breakfast, then Mr started unloading one of his bookcases into boxes, and we took them over to the homestead. Made a fresh batch of Elderberry syrup (and let it cool while we hauled books). I collect dark beer bottles and ended up with 2 bottles full, and corked them and they're in the frig. Spent most of the afternoon doing books again other than a lunch break. When last load (for today) was done, we finished dragging the bags of leaves over to the gardening area. Guessing we have about 100 bags now. Came home, had baked a small black forest ham accompanied by potato wedges (with olive oil, basil & pepper) and some pork and beans. Watched a couple of episodes of Dr.Quinn Medicin Woman and now we're winding down. Had a FAST moving downpour of rain. NOAA sounded the alarm and it moved in just when it was supposed to, and lasted about 5 minutes.

AAAAUUGHHH! THREE DAYS! THREE DAYS OF HOISTING AND BANGING AND LABORING to get the stupid brake pads in place. Waiting til the temperature is up enough not to crack your frozen fingers in half....then working and trying and trying and trying until the sun sets and the temperature again has plummeted to the single digits....

:sigh:

:motz_6:

DH just called off work again tomorrow.....cuz we STILL have no vehicle.

We DID buy a battery today at the one hardware store we can reach driving the ancient van. 'Course .....we couldn't shut off the van while in the store....cuz it's not starting without a jump. The new battery is for the van, not the truck we're trying to get the brake pads onto. Sure enough, DH shut off the van when we got home and I had to go down and feed immediately -- and had to walk cuz the van wouldn't start. :gaah: I am sooooooo exhausted!

We have done everything possible to get those stupid stripped pieces out for the brake job. DH has worked on vehicles since he was a kid, fixing his single mom's cars. He can get very creative but THIS..... We could do it if we could go get parts with a different vehicle. Cuz then you can destroy parts to get them off. But the van can only get to the bitty town via country roads. No auto parts store. The hardware store has only been here a year.

{I think we should do our project in the auto parts store parking lot.} :sassing:

So IF our single auto mechanic in this region comes back to work soon.....we'll have to get the truck towed and let HIM WORK ON IT. He has auto parts delivered. He has a nice garage to be out of the weather and doesn't have to wait for the WIND to stop. He has a lift to get to the affected area without laying in the snow.

THREE DAYS OF TORTURE.....and nothin' to show for it! :gaah:

EXCEPT....after an hour of fiddling, we DID install the new battery in the van tonite. Sheeesh that certainly shouldn't have been that difficult but working after dark in single digit temperatures; exhausted fingers fumble a lot and ....that one thingie that has to go into there just would. not. go. in. and. stay. in!!! Finally tho, we achieved goal. :cheer:

=================

So, after being trapped at home for four days over Christmas.....we are not starving. We are not cold...in the house. As far as a Survival Dress Rehearsal.....we're fine. We'll be out of bread but could bake some. We're out of desserts so DH is making brownies. We didn't get to do Christmas with my folks :( which was really sad, but we'll schedule another day....when we get a vehicle again. The van can make it to the mailbox to send out our mail soon. If we run out of pellets for the stove, we have plenty of propane for the furnace. And DH spent Christmas day on the computer, completing his continuing education certification for doing taxes this year. That was the other time pressure we faced: today's the last day and he's done/passed/certified again. :amen:

DH has lost 2 days of work so far....cuz he'd only earn enough to pay for a taxi 'round trip. :grinning-smiley-044: But last week he got called in for an extra day.

My folks are going to help with the vehicle bills..... :santa:

We're surviving but....it's been physically RUGGED :imoksmiley: and just not having a lot of fun here. :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: .....still in the uphill battle.....and YES I HAD TO WALK UP OUR DRIVEWAY AFTER FEEDING TONITE....AGAIN!

Late Breaking News: : :cele: My dad just called. He [and my mom] are coming out tomorrow and bringing parts to fix my truck. It's our 2nd best vehicle but it went down over a month ago. Fuel pump. It hasn't even been a part of the equation cuz it can't haul the hay. So if that goes well....... :pray: .....DH and my dad can get that up and running again. :amen:

MtRider :twister3: ....stay tuned. ...I'm SO wiped out! :faint3:

Well ladies [gents] ....we did not work PERSONALLY on any vehicle today - for repairs anyway. My dad called DH this morning and had second thots about standing out in our valley working on his beloved old truck. He knows the wind comes across and there is SNOW FIELDS to ....ah, freshen the temperature. :frozen: He's about as big as a toothpick and I'd warned him to dress WARM. Even if he's just supervising and handing out parts and tools.

SO....change of plans included transporting DH's main truck over to our local auto mechanic via a tow truck. Start on that one to finish the brakes. Then tomorrow we'll be sending my [dad's] older truck via same towing truck to have that fuel pump replaced. ....or whatever is wrong with it. We were able to drive the van-with-new-battery over to get DH's truck. :happy0203:

Tomorrow we go back and get the old truck whenever he gets done with that one. :happy0203:

Then mechanic must find us a new engine for DH's main truck and we'll have to schedule his work around putting that in. So it's able to climb the mountain when he does taxes in 2037. BUT.... :groooansmileyf: mechanic found slippage in the tranny when he test drove today. :blink: So that might be a deal breaker. Needs 4 new truck $$$ tires too, besides the new-to-us engine installed.

Now we really have to figure out if it is a good choice to keep refurbishing DH's truck OR to spend that $$$$ to get a different vehicle from a lil' ole lady who drives it to church on Sundays. :pray: Big choice time. :pray:

MtRider ....and need alternator in the van. [Not necessarily a priority now.] DH can go back to work now. :amen:

Glad you made it home safely, Annarchy. I'm sure you are glad to be home too!

:pray: Mt. Rider. I know how your dad feels. I was always the tool handler too. I think it's colder for the ones just standing there waiting.

I've been in your shoes so many times with those #$%^ vehicles. We always found it was cheaper for us to buy a new (to us) car and pray for the best. With our cars, once a couple of things started going wrong it wasn't long before something else cropped up. Then they ended up as a money pit.

I've been pretty lucky with the Jeep. It was 3-4 years old when I got it. It's a 2006 but I don't remember the year I got it. I've had to have brakes twice but that's normal for me. I don't know why because I don't ride them or slam them on. I've always been rough on brakes. I had to have a new battery but I think that was my fault. I'm sure the cell phone I kept plugged in was draining it.

I did see a little bit of paint bubbling at the top of the rear window this summer. I've noticed it on other Jeep Liberties too. Hummm. I've decided to have it fixed this summer to nip it in the bud. I plan on keeping it for awhile. They don't make this model anymore and I heard the newer Jeep SUV's aren't very good. I think it's the Patriot and Compass and Renegade. I keep getting letters from Jeep dealers wanting to buy my year and model Liberty.

I got a really good buy so I can't complain too much. I'm a pretty good haggler. And by buying a slightly older car, I don't have car payments. Couldn't have done that with a new one. Plus they depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot. And insurance is higher. Yeah, I'm justifying.

Hi folks. I've been busy getting ready for DD1 and DSIL to come for "Christmas" this weekend, cooking, cleaning. Also visiting DH's cousin in the hospital. He had a tear in his colon and had a section removed. Doctors still say they have no idea why the tear happened.

Mt Rider, you bring back painful memories for me! I remember so many hours in the dark and cold, holding a flashlight and handing tools to DH while he worked on vehicles so he could go to work the next day. I'm glad you can get it done by a mechanic. I hope everything goes well.

Annarchy, glad you made it home safely.

I pray for each of you when I read your posts even though I may not mention something you wrote. :)

Edited by Daylily

Thanks, Daylily....and everyone else for your prayers/kind words. Most of us are kindred spirits [as Anne of Green Gables would say] in this vehicle issue. :gaah:

The old beloved truck was loaded and deposited to the mechanic today. Hopefully we'll hear that we can take DH's NOW-WORKING truck to go fetch it. And leave the wheeezy ancient van at home. I think it's brake lines might not be in good health. I started using downshifting to hold me back on the hills last nite....instead of just the brakes. They were 'singing' to me. :unsure: Heaven knows ya don't wanna lose brakes in these mountains... :grinning-smiley-044:

Having my folks cover most of these many backed-up repairs is definitely a blessing! Maybe tomorrow we can go into town to get the few gifts we exchange....and then reschedule Christmas with them. :santa:

Muscles acting very MS spastic today. Oye! Keeping the activities at as low a level as we can manage today....after walking to meet the tow driver down in barnyard. Walk the dog. [ride up with DH who did the feeding this A.M.] Wash/dry hair [so much work cuz it's down to my waist; need to get it a foot shorter]. And get us 'breakfast' at noon. Muscles are not working so I'm dropping things, running into things, mashing my toes and fingers with misdirection...

Gotta just sit and not try too much! I'll have to drive Old Truck back home later today tho.

MtRider :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Trying to stay out of the cooler weather, I'm still trying to get over this cold or ??? Finally figured out that the cold is past, and it's allergy stuff now. So taking an allergy tab each morning has made a huge difference. I hate to take them because they interfer with thyroid functions and I'm trying to get off the thyroid meds. They say you can't ever do that, but I've been following a gal's videos and she and her husband were able to get off the synthroid stuff by diet etc. The only thing that's the hardest for me is the coffee. Only a half a cup a day...:-) I've been just putting some of my 2012 dehydrated oranges into a cup of boiling water (after my morning coffee!) and it seems to help tons. No raw cauliflower, no raw broccoli, no problem. No allergy meds, was doing great...until now. No white sugar. She's got a pretty specific list...just can't remember them right now. Guess I need to write them down and put them on the frig :-) Laundry's done for this week. Finished blending up my homemade castille soap, made another batch of jello for out dessert, and still have some leftover chicken & rice soup that I made yesterday. We'll have enough for today's lunch too. Made up my "to-do list" for tomorrow. Time for Abby-girl's dog license, time for my driver's license renewal, and time for another year's payment on our local internet service. We keep it ($54 a year for email only) because it also has our local sales postings...and we use it alot for finding things we want to purchase or for things we want to sell. So far, that's it for today :-)

Oh God is good. So glad my dad follows the 'feeling' he had [from God!] and they did NOT replace the fuel pump that cold day. :grinning-smiley-044: It was NOT the fuel pump on my [his] old truck!

Ahem....basically, we ran out of gas. :shakinghead: Not quite that simple. Has dual tanks and the mechanism that switches between using gas from front and back tanks has broken. So while it appeared we were using gas from both tanks, only the rear tank was drained dry. Still gas in front....but now inaccessible. Since a replacement part [from the mid-80's] is not available, we'll simply use the truck by filling the rear tank only. :shrug: So we have it back. Cost $$$$ for that knowledge but that's what mechanic is for. It's the towing bill that's steep when the solution was to pour gas into rear tank. :sassing: Sheeesh!

Actually, we might fill both tanks and get a siphon pump to transfer the gas from front manually when the rear empties. Rear tank only holds 15 gal. Less trips to the gas station and this is my 'driveway vehicle'. Assures we aren't building up fumes from an empty gas tank too. :shrug:

Today..... :D ....was a good day. A successful day. A Make-Up-For-Being-Stranded day. Went in to visit my folks. "Christmas" will be rescheduled as soon as DH knows when he works next week. I think he's picking up an extra day to work....cuz someone wants New Year's Eve off. That means with the extra day the week before Christmas, he'll have made up the 2 days of work he missed due to vehicles. :amen:

Then DH dropped me off to shop at Walmart while he went to do other business. I had at least a couple hours. Now I'll admit that leaving me solo was a bit risky. With all the exertion this past week, I could have dropped in an MS meltdown. But adrenaline is still high enough, so I did it. Replenished milk, bread, meats that we ran out of while stranded. Picked up fruit...Walmart apples are always a good price. Picked up cat litter and such that we get on our rare visits to Walmart.

AND I picked up my folks' favorite candies/nuts/etc which is part of our Christmas gifts we never had a chance to get yet. We give them flowers too cuz they both enjoy them. They don't need anything and don't wish to accumulate more 'things'. We've got a few other ideas of simple things but this is our way of Christmas now. So I toodled around on the disability scooter and shopped. Found everything on list and a few other needed things. Like $1 LED flashlights....we need one for the basement.

I did have one Brain Fail incident. :rolleyes: I carry several things with me to handle MS-related problems like water for a choking episode--energy bar for a hypoglycemic episode....etc. I always carry things in my pockets of pants, hoodie, coat.... I've got things stashed allllll over! I don't do "purse". And since I don't go to town often, my MS-impaired brain does not remember exactly where I've put what. [one heavy purse would not work...I need weight distribution]

Soooooo.....as I pull my scooter into a check-out with no one in line, I make sure I have the checkbook. Stuff into back pocket. Forgot to locate drivers license...... :sigh: As things were ringing up, I checked this and that and the other pockets. I went thru the small hip pack I use. Even looked in pocket of my water bottle holder. Checked pockets again. Check is written out and ....waiting for I.D. :unsure: Augh. Suddenly there are a hundred people in line and I'm holding up the show.

I assured the checkout person and the customer service person who'd walked across to see what was holding things up...it IS here, somewhere. So I said....can we just get me outta the way and you can continue with other people while I find it? Yes, that was doable. Told them I would find it or DH would find me and pay for it. I got out of the way and my cart went with the customer service lady. They were patient but relieved to do it this way....getting the line moving again. Checked everywhere 4X again.

Suddenly I looked down at the belt pouch I was wearing. I ALWAYS use this for cash, credit card, and DRIVERS LICENSE....so I can never set it down somewhere. Of COURSE that's where I put it. .....THAT, my friends, is classic MS Brain Fail. Something I ALWAYS do suddenly zapps right clean outta my head. :grinning-smiley-044: I was too relieved to be frustrated. I waved the drivers license towards customer service person and she came to finish the transaction in an empty check-out.

I casually brushed it off as just another MS thing. ......Then she looked at me and said, "My husband is now being checked for either Lou Gehrig's disease or M.S." Oye...not good. We talked a bit. Told her I'd vote for MS cuz I've had it since childhood and at this age...I'm still going. Obvious issues.....she'd just witnessed that...but I still have a life. She said after they'd fought so hard with his other health issues, she was not ready to lose him to Lou Gehrig's. I'm already praying for them....tho I don't know their names. God does.

So perhaps this Brain Fail was more about her this nite. If he is diagnosed with MS, she's seen me struggle but achieve. And likely it's why she was so kind and patient while I searched my pockets.

It was a successful day. It was an interesting day. Perhaps it was an important day..... :amen:

MtRider :hi:

Took DH to VA doc today. This one is doing labs for several things that I think should have been noticed and done 6 months ago, but I am happy they are being pro-active now! Look forward to getting a few answers! Ran around town all morning and part of afternoon. I think I'm about done except for putting about 70 ebay photos on computer and editing them.

Oh, and stocked up on rice, black eyed peas and Jiffy mix since there are good sale here now! I will only buy rice if it is LESS than 50 cents a pound and the blackeyes were 79 cents a pound.

MY NEW LITTLE PROFILE FRIEND IS "PEANUT BUTTER"! MY SWEETIE

Edited by snapshotmiki