MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's It Called

Jeepers

I saw a thing I'd like to get but I don't know what to call it. It sits over the kitchen sink. It has an arm on both ends, that's how it sits OVER the sink. It's plastic or rubber-ish and it folds flat (I think) for storage. It's like a bucket only flat. Gaaaawd. I can't think of anything. I want it to sit over one of the double sinks so when I can, I can throw either veggies in it with cold water or I can keep the lids and rings in it to use before I put them on the jars. It isn't a drainer. It holds water.

A flat bucket suspended over a sink that holds water. Preferably one what collapses. Just a name will do. :banghead:

I searched "collapsing square bowl" on amazon store ...got this. Any help? No "arms" tho...

http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-International-CB-20-Storage/dp/B00EZQQEU0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1442810366&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=collapsing+square+bowl

615XUUrLPFL._SL1500_.jpg

MtRider :pc_coffee: ...hmm..pic is kinda big.. :whistling:

Edited by Mt_Rider
add pic

Dish pan, It's called a dish pan. :gaah:

Sheesh. I can find a thing that sets over the sink but it is a dish drainer. Then there is the one that sits down in the sink and that is a dish pan. I want the combination of the two. Could be such a thing doesn't really exist. I thought I saw it but it COULD have been a drainer.

What I want, drainer with no holes with no holes in the bottom that sits over the sink. I don' think there is such a think.

post-2492-0-11466800-1442826303_thumb.jpg

post-2492-0-18362900-1442826320_thumb.jpg

Thank you Wormie! I couldn't think of the word 'dish pan' to save me. That's what I'm going to have to go with. I must have seen the over the sink dish drainer someplace and just thought it was a pan. It's really hard being someone who thinks so far ahead of the times. I only hope someday the world will catch up to me. Of course I'll probably miss it because I can't think of the name of it. :008Laughing:

I searched for an 'over the sink cutting board with colander', clicked on images, and got these:

http://progressiveintl.com/products/over-the-sink-cutting-board

Or a wood/bamboo: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/island-bamboo/over-the-sink-cutting-board-collapsible-colander-p129554

There are 100's of varieties. I made my cutting board to fit over my sink.

I really like that over the sink colander. Wish it didn't have holes in the bottom. I'm going to put it in my wish list though. My other colander tips over so easily. I'm thinking about cutting up lots of potatoes and carrots etc. and just throwing them in an over the sink dish pan full of cold water to keep them from drying out and turning brown. You could even pick it up and store it in the fridge over night if you got too tired to finish. Or peel the night before, add water and store in the fridge over night to get a head start in the morning. You can do that with a regular dish pan too I suppose. The collapsible ones would be nice for storage. I usually do that with a big pot of water but in the second sink would free up counter space. Suppose I could set the pot in the empty sink. Well, that was an easy fix. :blush:

Thanks for the links Annie. Lots of nice things there! :pc_coffee:

I searched for an 'over the sink cutting board with colander', clicked on images, and got these:

http://progressiveintl.com/products/over-the-sink-cutting-board

Or a wood/bamboo: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/island-bamboo/over-the-sink-cutting-board-collapsible-colander-p129554

There are 100's of varieties. I made my cutting board to fit over my sink.

Mine is a hard plastic cutting board with sliding metal arms. The hole at the end doesn't have anything, but I can set a bowl under it. Mine's older than dirt :-) but sure serves it's purpose :-)

I really like that over the sink colander. Wish it didn't have holes in the bottom. I'm going to put it in my wish list though. My other colander tips over so easily. I'm thinking about cutting up lots of potatoes and carrots etc. and just throwing them in an over the sink dish pan full of cold water to keep them from drying out and turning brown. You could even pick it up and store it in the fridge over night if you got too tired to finish. Or peel the night before, add water and store in the fridge over night to get a head start in the morning. You can do that with a regular dish pan too I suppose. The collapsible ones would be nice for storage. I usually do that with a big pot of water but in the second sink would free up counter space. Suppose I could set the pot in the empty sink. Well, that was an easy fix. :blush:

Thanks for the links Annie. Lots of nice things there! :pc_coffee:

I also have those wire strainers that fit into the drain in my kitchen sink. Often I just use the sink, peel into a plastic WM bag and then remove the garbage bag, wash my stuff and put it into a large collander. I have 4 plastic ones but only one stainless steel, so I use the stainless steel for really hot straining.

...or make you one. Sized to fit your sink, with a hole to place either a bowl or strainer into.

I made one when we were dirt broke. I needed a cutting board. I took a plank, cut it to match the width of my counter top, rounded the edges and oiled it. It fits nicely across the sink. Made one for a friend out of oak, but, cut it out in the shape of a piggy with a jig saw. The hole in the tail curl made a nifty finger hold. lol. :rolleyes:

Now, after seeing these designs, I might make one that fits a bowl and colander. It would really come in handy.

I like the dishpan too. I was watching a video on canning and the woman was washing her lids and rims and just tossing them in the other side of the double sink. I thought what would be more trouble than it's worth digging them out and rinsing them off again. Then when her camera panned around, is saw that she had a dishpan of hot water sitting in the other sink and after she washed and rinsed them in the first sink she was tossing them in the dishpan sitting down in the second sink.

I have some small round gallon sized plastic buckets. I keep one sitting in one side of my sink/counter. I fill it with hot, soapy, bleach water and when I remove my rings I toss them into it. When it's cool enough for my hands, I give them a wash, rinse them and then I hang them on a hanger (I've un-twisted the top part of the hanger) above my dish drain to dry. Then off to pantry when they're dry, and handy for the next canning session. I just grab the hanger (metal) and bring it back to the kitchen, rinse them in hot water & hang them up again over my dish drain where I can grab what I need when I'm putting them on my jars etc.

If you need to store a LOT of rings....string them on a cord and tie one end to something high and ....well I tied a wooden spoon cross-wise to keep them from slipping off. Just twist spoon to let one or more slide down and off the cord. Not pretty but it works.

I like the hanger idea for drying and storing a smaller number!

MtRider :thumbs:

I have shoe box size totes all over the house full of rings. I have a larger tote in the garage full of new ones. I keep using the old ones over and over until they start to look really bad. Wish 'they' made plastic or rubber rings so they wouldn't rust or turn gray.

Same here Jeeps...I don't care about discoloration as long as it's not rust :-) If I'm giving a jar of something as a gift, I put on a new ring...after it's gone through the canning process so it looks nice. I used to have some of the Betty Crocker white ones, but I've managed to give them all away on gift jars. Too expensive to buy these days because you have to buy the whole kit&kaboodle...red plaid lid and white ring.