MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Worked today in "shifts" because it was almost 100 out :-( We did get some of the pole beans planted and a few speghetti squash planted. A bit late but better late than never. It we have to we'll low tunnel what we can. We've been enjoing some of our own lettuce, spinach, radishes and blackberries. A neighbor was gone of vacation for two weeks so we were able to pick some cherries from their cherry tree (instead of the birds getting them!) and we had a very nice dessert tonight with blackberries, cherries, peaches and some whipped topping. The wood ships seem to be helping hold the moisutre in the beds. We prayed we'd get some rain this afternoon but so far...none :-( We'd like to top off the 3rd barrel and re-fill the 4th one. I think our garden is loving being watered with rain water :-) My Roma tomato bush took a dive and really looked droopy today, so went ahead and watered it more. All the other tomato plants seem to be doing okay, so not sure what's going on with it. It's got some little Roma's on it so hoping it just needed a bit more water than the rest of them? We may not be able to feed a family for year but we'll enjoy the work of our hands when we can :-)

post-9087-0-19204500-1465782821_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-45756100-1465782828_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-07062600-1465782892_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-28158300-1465782906_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-07824400-1465782918_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-66503600-1465782931_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-01900300-1465782947_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-47791400-1465782964_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-86265800-1465782977_thumb.jpg

Took Abby-girl to visit her favorite vet for her annual checkup etc. She'll let her do anything as long as she gets the treat! Took a "draw" from a knot she's developed on her right shoulder and it's a fatty tumor. As long as it doesn't grow no worry. Clipped her nails, got her rabies, heartworm test etc., and we were outa there with a clean bill of health and a very empty wallet :-(

Worked at the church prepping walls and painting. I'm putting together a VBS workroom that has been in the planning stages for about three years. Finally taking action. I'm beat!!! It's looking good, but I think I'm going to have to do two coats. sigh

Now I'm sitting in the recliner, because ... old.

Abby-girl and I pertty much stayed inside. The weather has been near 100 and it's best to not do a lot of heavy moving around. We finally turned the a/c on June 1st but it's still set very high, so the temp inside is about 80. Went to $Tree to pick up some small hair clips...don't know what happened to the tiny ones I had :-( The went to the garden, watered a tiny bit (trying to conserve our rain barrel water...we still haven't gotten any rain) and picked another batch of blackberries. There's more coming on and it looks like some of our raspberries may have survived and might give us a few to chew on :-)

post-9087-0-46792600-1465957261_thumb.jpg

Mrssurvival is my "go to" place. Where else would I learn about cellulite shrinking MRIs, coon fishing, reclining 'cause....old, lambs quarter, (I need to google that, wondering if we have it here etc.) book writing, dear pets, fantastic gardens, complete with hard work, great bartering skills.........

I am so grateful to share in your lives through MrsS. Thank you.

The lawn mower and paint brushes are cutting in to my reading time. A few days left in June for driving the school bus, a visit to my son's, and an anticipated visit from friends, a street sale day in town, wedding, fair day and a couple of rodeos, and garden work may compromise it even more.

Stay well friends

Been busy here. The friend we gave 4 of the 6 chicks to, called and said, "It crowed!" Then, said, he was culling it and bringing it over. He lives in a HOA, a crowing rooster is not a good thing. I took the time to instruct him how to process the chicken but made him do it. :happy0203: We set the chicken upright on a beer can, and filled the crop with carrots, celery and onion, then, barbecued him.

Pulled all of the first crop of beats, filling a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full. I blanched all the greens, and sliced and blanched a pan full of beets before I had to quit from the blister on my hand. I'll do more when I get back home.

Pulled the last of the radishes too. This heat is wiping them out. I was pleasantly surprised the carrots look amazing.

We also had a batch of Calabasas, to use up the zucchini we have already picked.

The rest of the time, I have been preparing for my trip.

Time to get going, gas up the car, run a couple of errands and finish packing.

Hope you all have a wonderful day. :wave:

I clipped the tomatoes to their supports, weeded some and decided it was too humid to mow,already feels like 93 at 9 a.m. though it is actually 82. We got nearly 2 inches of rain before daybreak and the humidity took my breath away.

Ann, I did not plant beets this year, they do do poorly here.

Guess I will sew, have 3 dresses on order for my sister, she has decided to only wear what I make for her.

When (hopefully) we get chickens, we're planning to put a "crow collar" on the rooster. Everything we've checked on says they work really well. If it don't...we may have the vet "fix it". A non-crowing rooster would be worth it to us.

I ran some errands today and had a really long list of things to do/buy. I got everything done on the list and then some. There is usually one or two things they are out of or I forgot to write down. All in all a good day.

Taking naps. Not unpacking. Taking another nap.... Trying hard to remember simple things like where I keep my onions. :sassing: Serious brain-drain.

MtRider :wave: It was a marvelous reunion!!!!! :wub:

:thumbs:

hot these last few days! strawberries coming on now. more and more coming out of our small patch. today got 2 1/2 qts. We are freezing them whole (hulled of course) until jam making time. I don't have a big thing about jam, but many friends do....I have orders for jam of all kinds! This years 'special one' will be the banana strawberry jam that is used on ice cream for making 'instant' banana splits. I might have to taste that one. Otherwise, there will be strawberry, grape, crab apple, cinnamon apple, pomagranite-cranberry and raspberry. As well as any others I can think of. I do think I will HAVE to plant a rhubarb patch though....I get the craves for the stuff and have zillions of recipes for rhubarb in everything from jam to cakes, to sweet-sour stir fry!

Edited by kappydell

It can be quite boring around here without you. Welcome back. :wave: Glad you took the opportunity for the reunion. We never know when those opportunities will pass by and we regret not being able to connect and make great memories. :)

Thanks for the welcome back, y'all. Yesterday was hideously UNCOMFORTABLE...in body and brain. Today is much improved. Whew...got a little skeered that I was in for a SUPER-adrenaline crash. :runcirclsmiley2:

Still needing low key but it's not good to completely drop after depleting adrenaline. E...A....S..E .. it down. :0327: ......um, not that far down...LOL ;)

Have added avoiding "imported" smoke to my list of activities today. <_< Wildfire smoke crosses state borders and sneaks up on the unsuspecting. N95 mask tonite when I feed.

And my folks had a bear in their yard so.....get out more hardware and bear season protocols. They're baaaaack!

MtRider ....yesterday I thot I'd LOST my marbles. Today....seems like I've just misplaced them. :sassing:

OUCH! Using a new hand shredder to put some carrots in our salad and "oops" took a nasty chunk out of my thumb. Sure glad we had Abby-girl's stop bleed (for her toe nails etc.) cause it was a wonderful thing! It has a analsticia (?) in it so it also stops the pain. Son called and he didn't get the subsidized housing after all :-( It wasn't a pleasant conversation. Finally just told him no more phone conversations, that MrWE2 and I would discuss the issue and we'd sit down and talk in person with him. Also told him that it wasn't our responsibility to provide an apartment that he could afford, and that WE would decide how long we were willing to let him stay to find another place to live. He's been really lax on keeping the mowing up since he "thought" he was moving. Wonder if he'll have it mowed when we go over this weekend sometime.

Sorry to hear about your son's housing issues. I was hoping they had been resolved. I'm sure you were too.

I have some of that 'stop bleeding' stuff with the 'numb-er' stuff added too. I haven't had to use it yet though. I got it at either PetSmart or PetCo. I think PetCo.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood :)

The roar of the city blending in with the songs of birds.

I am working on MIL's ToDo list today. 'Raid'ed the wasp nest in her window and am now going to attack the weeds in her lawn. They are not as bad as previous years. She isn't watering as much as before due to water rationing and price hikes.

Time to get pulling. Hoping everyone has a blessed day.

What are you doing today?