MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

MrsS Get Together 2014

Darlene

I've talked with a few of you about doing a MrsS get together this fall. We seem to do them every 2 years and we're coming up on our 2 year anniversary since the last one this coming fall.

I've (thankfully) come a long way since the first one lol. I was new to moving the farm and there were 1000 things that needed to be done. 2 years after that I was a bit more grounded but there were still 999 things that needed to be done. 2 years after that I was definitely in my grove but there were still 998 things that needed to be done around here.

THIS time, not that there's anything that doesn't need to be done on a farm, but I've finally accomplished some of the critical components lol. This time, I specifically want to do something at our gathering if there is any interest in having one this year.

I started making soaps and lotions a few years ago. At the end of the last get together, a few of the ladies that were still here put together a body butter and I think it was a sugar scrub. I look back to those formulas and have to laugh (otherwise I'd die of embarassment lolol) at how pitiful they were compared to what I'm able to formulate now.

I've come a long way over the last couple of years. My soaps and body products are in several stores. My formulas are unmatched by anyone out there because I work on the premise that if it's good enough for me (I like the best I can do), then it's good enough for everyone else (which is true). I use oils, essential oils, etc etc etc that have such wonderful properties to the skin, whether it be moisturizing, soothing, healing, etc. We have a forum here that goes into detail about alot of these different things.

Over the last couple of months I've been feeling a burden to do a serious class on making our own soap and body care products. Even the most basic soap formula of palm, olive and coconut oils is a superior product to any commercial one you can buy. I make body butters, facial creams, lotions, shampoo bars, hair conditioners, deodorants with probiotics, hair styling gels, etc etc etc and they cost pennies on the dollars to what we have to buy.

So...I would like to do a several day class on soapmaking...'cold process' and 'hot process'. I'd like to teach those that are interested, in how to make these other body care products themselves. I'd like to teach y'all how to infuse oils with herbs to use in these products and how to incorporate them. I was talking with Mt Rider last night and we figured that if we had 10 people participating, they'd each be able to leave with 1 log of soap which is about 14-16 bars, along with the knowledge to carry on what they learned for their own families.

I want to start with teaching how to easily render oils from fats like tallow and lard, which by the way, make the most moisturizing and luxurious soaps. For the vegans, I have a slew of plant based oils that could be used. I want to take it from the foundation on up so that when hard times hit, people are empowered to take care of themselves in a more cost effiencient, healthier manner.

I guess we'll start with seeing if there's any interest in a get together. I'm going to say without asking that I'm sure Gunplumber will attend and do his special shooting classes that everyone enjoys. Aside from good food, I, myself will just be focusing on teaching y'all how to make soaps, lotions, butters, deodorants, healing salves and balms, etc. We'll render beeswax from my hives to use in the balms and a ton of other things. If there's enough interest I'll post some of the things we can make and we'll narrow it down to a few specific things to do while everyone is here.

I'll attach a picture of a couple of my soaps so y'all can see how much fun it is to make handcrafted products, especially when you delve into the artistic side of things :). The first picture is of a soap that I put aloe vera, chlorella and spirulina powders in. The second one incorporates activated charcoal which gently exfoliates the skin while it draws out the toxins and the 3rd picture is just a fun but very involved rainbow :).IMG_0136.JPGIMG_0755.JPG IMG_0762a.jpg

Let me know what y'all think. :)

Dogmom...I'm not sure if I can do it this summer. I have Madison graduating and going off to college so it's going to be a whirlwind summer. I know we could do it anytime in the fall...September, early October...that would work better I think. I sure hope you can come though...you've been such a valued and treasured member of MrsS for so long, it would be very special to meet you face to face.

2 years ago, I told myself I wanted to plan to come to the next gathering, and here it is and I still cant. :( I have to plan my next leave around my Mum's 80th birthday in NZ.

ok - maybe in 2016?

Awwww, SueC....it would have been so great to meet you! But our mums are only gonna be 80 once, huh?

Sewandsew....very probably room. Hope you can come.

MtRider :wave:....for that matter, hoping I can make it this time. :)

Edited by Mt_Rider

Probably not :-( We've got alot of "irons in the fire" and after Thanksgiving, we winterize our travel trailer. I don't do motels, hotels or other people's beds. I know each of the people here will have a wonderful time though!

Do you have parking for a 40 foot RV? I have a panic disorder and can only travel in an RV. I would love to meet everyone.

At the top of the property there's an area that your RV would fit into. Last fall a friend of mine came down with her husband from Nova Scotia with their RV that was big like yours and that's where they parked. I don't have any utilities up there but there's definitely room. We could always just put you out in one of the pastures too if you'd prefer lol (just kidding lol). The cows and sheep would be very curious lol.

Probably not :-( We've got alot of "irons in the fire" and after Thanksgiving, we winterize our travel trailer. I don't do motels, hotels or other people's beds. I know each of the people here will have a wonderful time though!

Clarification...DH has sleep apnea and snores like a freight train (that's why we don't sleep in other people's homes) and I just won't sleep in the crappy beds motels offer now days.

Count us in. Will be soooo good seeing everyone!

I definitely want to take your classes! My skin loved the body butter, we made at the last gathering!

MrMomM wants to shoot.

If I win the lottery... I would be sure to come. Won't have enough savedfor a vehicle this year. I do want to know what's going on so keep us informed. Maybe 2016 if the country does not go up in flames somehow.

it is a great experience and the folks are grand.

Can I ask where this all takes place...what state and where. Do you get a hotel room, etc. or what. Don't know anything about it.

We're up in north Georgia around the Blue Ridge, GA area, about 15 minutes from the TN/NC border. Everyone usually stays here and we have a huge slumber party for a few days. Lots of good food, and even better company. It's always a very special time.

Count us in. Will be soooo good seeing everyone!

I definitely want to take your classes! My skin loved the body butter, we made at the last gathering!

MrMomM wants to shoot.

It wouldn't be the same without you and MrMomM, that's for sure! I'm so glad that y'all can make it...you have a gift of organizing chaos :)