MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Patriot Nurse Recommends................

Latest FB post from Patriot Nurse:

I frequently get requests for herbal references and solid compendiums of alternative medicine. This is THE definitive source for creating, using, and understand herbal medicine from the modern master, Dr. Christopher. Referred to me from a student (Thanks Shelby!) some years ago, it has become an active part of my library. Swallow the cost and get it. You won't regret the $60.

School of Natural Healing
by Dr. John R. Christopher
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1879436159/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_lc?tag=thepatriotnur-20

• Thanks 2
  • 3 years later...

233 bux now.  :o

• Sad 1

https://natureswarehouse.net/collections/literature/products/school-of-natural-healing-by-dr-john-r-christopher

It's $56.31 here and free shipping.  I don't know what edition this is compared to the one Midnightmom linked. 

And through the school itself, it's $79.95.   https://www.christopherpublications.com/SNH.html

Looks like there's a deal where it's part of a bundle, too.    https://www.christopherpublications.com/snhsyllabus.html

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 2

Wow.  that is some high priced books.  I would have to think on that one a bit. But looks to be a load of good info. I think because it is a school book is why price is so high.  No wonder college kids have such high prices to pay for college. 

• 1 year later...

I used Dr Christopher’s book as one of the textbooks required for a wholistic healing course I took in 2000.  He is a well respected herbalist but his books are pricey.  Christopher Publications has two of his books on sale as a set for $100.  

One thing to remember in using herbal books, even if well respected, is they become outdated as to the safety of herbs as related to medications.  New medications are introduced continuously and you need to do your research before combining them. The medication manufacturer’s web site can often be a good place to start. 

• Like 5

Thank you for the recommendation!

I just ordered a used copy in "good" condition from Amazon for $34.23 and $9.12 S&H plus tax. Other copies are $138 and up, plus shipping. I got lucky, and just happened to look at the right time, but $45 for a used book does make me wince. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Mother said:

One thing to remember in using herbal books, even if well respected, is they become outdated as to the safety of herbs as related to medications.  New medications are introduced continuously and you need to do your research before combining them. The medication manufacturer’s web site can often be a good place to start. 

I have and like A-Z Guide to Drug-Herb-Vitamin Interactions, 2nd edition edited by Alan Gaby, MD.   It is from 2006, so there are new medications since then, and doesn't have everything in it, but it is someplace for me to start.   I agree with Mother, one has do your research. 

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 3

That is a good reference book, OOTO.  I should look to see if there is an updated copy or at least a newer interaction book.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 2

Just went to the Amazon site from above.  They want $353.97 new and only 1 left and $147.75 used. Think I will try to find it somewhere else. Amazon even wanted $3.00 for shipping. I am a prime user and have to pay to get it. Seems some price gouging going on.

https://www.christopherpublications.com/snhsyllabus.html

The bundle above is still $100 (free shipping, too), but they are out of stock.    It might be worth asking them when they might have them back in stock. 

Nature's Warehouse is asking $107.95, but they are sold out as well.     https://natureswarehouse.net/collections/literature/products/school-of-natural-healing-by-dr-john-r-christopher

Books, overall, have been having price jumps and availablity issues.  

• Like 2

Book prices and shipping fees are going up.  They are pushing e-version now but those versions will not help us if we lose our internet.  With the prices I believe I will start printing things off before ink and paper go any higher.  I especially want some of the Mrs S info.  There is some real first hand experiences and great info here.  

• Like 3

Mother, I started printing things off a couple of years ago. It took me a long time and at times I wanted to give up (old slow printer) but I got it done. Now I'm glad I did. I got some notebooks and some sleeves, and made different categories so things will be easier to locate.  

• Like 4

I started that a couple years ago too but there always seems to be more I want to copy . :0327:

• Like 1

Has anyone thought about buying a copy of last year's PDR? (Physician's Desk Reference) I used to keep a copy that was within a couple of years of current the one. They list all available drugs and interactions, including OTC meds. Things do change but generally not that drastically in a couple of years. You may be able to get a copy from a used book store online- I haven't looked for one for awhile. Local libraries may also sell last years copies. The info in a recent one would be much more up to date than a 2006 book. Just a suggestion....

Also, keep the inserts from your prescriptions, there's is a lot of good info on interactions and side effects.

:pc_coffee:

Love and hugs,

still Nana

In a world where you can be anything you like, please, be kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great idea Nana.  I have a very old one.  I’ve been looking for a recent book on nutrient content of foods.  Now I’ll add a reference book to that list.  Thanks. 

• Like 2

Mother, check for college textbooks on nutrition classes. I took the class over 40 years ago, while studying nursing. I actually just checked my shelves to see if I still had my textbook but, it seems to have disappeared at some unknown time.

:pc_coffee:

Love and hugs,

still Nana

In a world where you can be anything you like, please, be kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Physician's Desk Reference. It's packed away so I'm not sure which edition it is.

Another good reference book is the Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference book. Mine is dated 2015 (28th edition) and I have used it often for Rx information.

It says: "Administer drugs safely, accurately and professionally. Now the most trusted book in nursing is also available electronically."

I see they have the 2022 edition out now. I too doubt if much has changed but I wonder if an upgrade is prudent?  

• Like 2

I took a wholistic healing course 20 years ago and still have all my textbooks from that.  Nutrition, Biology, physiology, herbology, and all the other required ologies.  They are still valuable but I want to update.  One of the required courses was Iridology. The diagnosing of illnesses from the study of the eyes.  I recently talked with my eye doctor about it.  He said it was not taught in optometry and was not considered real proven by most doctors but that he’d studied it out of curiosity and had found a lot of it to be right on.  The hard cover book came with a set of slides of eyeballs.  Now that was an interesting course.  :ph34r:  

• Like 1

Mother, I know an Amish 'doctor' down in Mt. Hope Ohio who specialized in iridology. One time I took an Amish friend and his wife and two daughters to see him. The driveway was full of horse and buggies. My friend said, 'He does a booming business.' He also sells vitamins and herbs. 

He doesn't see non-Amish unless he knows you well because he is afraid of being accused of practicing medicine without a license. The FDA has been pretty strict on the Amish. Mostly from selling herbals and also unpasteurized milk etc.  :( 

• Like 2