MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annie's Salsa - Water Bath Canned

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh how KEWL jewlzm! You ended up with the same amount that I did! lol

That was really neat to see your pictures too...thanks for taking them and sharing them... ((((jewlzm))))

All we gotta do is get some more ladies to share theirs and we'll be stylin!

Quote:
I put them into my hot water bath canner, which is also a huge stock pot. I don't have an *official water bath canner*...I don't feel I need one because I can accomplish the same objective with things I already have here, and save the money I would have spent on that.

Right now, they are in there processing for 15 minutes.

(see attached)

Question Darlene, You aren't using a basket/rack thingie in the stockpot. I assume you've got something under each jar? What/how? The jars don't jiggle around and crash into each other during the boiling? I'm trying to construct a way to use my stockpots too.

This is a neat Show&Tell idea.

MtRider

Actually, I don't have anything on the bottom of my pot. For my 1/2 pint jam jars, I use my turkey roaster to waterbath can them and I don't use a rack or anything on the bottom of there either. I've never had a jar crack either so I dunno. I wonder if putting a dish towel down in the water on the bottom would work if someone is concerned about it. But me? I just put those jars in and let 'em rip. Maybe cause it's not being done under pressure and not for long periods of time is why I haven't run into a problem. Then again, I put the jars in an appropriate sized stock pot...I don't know but that's how I do it.

I dont put anything in the bottom when Im water bath canning in my stock pot either. I havent had a problem but then again I havent been canning long either. When I pressure can I do use the rack for pints but I cant get the quart jars and the rack in there if I actually want the lid on. So I have been looking for a larger PC.

Quote:
Umm...I didn't blanch and peel my tomatoes. Did I flunk?

My Quality Control Officers didn't catch it, either.

Keiko

ROFL! You are too cute! lol

Fire those quality control personnel! lol

Actually, what you might find is that the peels, during the water bath processing, may seperate off of the chunks of tomatoes. It's not going to effect the taste at all, but you may notice the texture. All in all, it's safe to eat!

Hi everybody,

I am so-o-o-o late. I finally had a chance to can the salsa. Came out good.

I used lime juice instead of vinegar, I did not add sugar, and I left the seeds in the jalapenos for some heat. Yeah

Have a nice week

YYY

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have some of those Ball Salsa Mixes, that I bought at Walmart for a quarter and so many Romas...Thought I'd give the mixes a try. If I add peppers, onions, garlic, herbs and pressure can the stuff for 30 mins. Would that be ok? The mix calls for adding 14 cups of tomatoes and 1 cup cider vnegar, but no other veggies and WB for 35 minutes. Should I cut the vinegar in half?