MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Saver

Reading the threads about Food Savers i've heard about being able to seal jars with them. I've gone to a couple of sites checking on FSs and i'm not really certain How to tell if the model i might be inteested in "has" one, or if i need to order something special. Or is it discribed a bit differently ? Help !!

Thank you. Mea.

You will want to get the cannister set for sealing jars with the food saver. This attaches to the foodsaver.

In average room temps, sealing the jars this way, say with flour or dry milk or dehydrated food you put into the jars you want to seal will extend the food life up to twice as long, generally. The cannister set has various sizes for certain sized jars to be sealed.

Edited by arby

ooops, I realized I didn't actually answer your question. Sorry!

You'll need a hose and these:

47_1_b.JPG,

and you'll need to be sure your Saver has a hose/accessory port. If it's new it will come with a hose or it will say it has a port.

Thank You.

I guess that i was looking for wording such as..."jar sealer" or "able to seal jars with this".

The ones i'm mulling over all have the hose, so with the attachment it should be good to go.

Mea, (who gets a bit bewildered with things at times. :P )

• 1 year later...

I have one, and found that if I pull out the tube from the top of the jar sealer, then remove the jar sealer, it will seal the lid. I don't know how well it keeps though, as I haven't checked them since I sealed them, though I should.

The seal keeps very well. I've sealed jars of rice, etc. that still had a good seal 2 years later. I don't have the name brand food saver but I'm happy with its ability to seal jars.

• 1 year later...

I have 3, but the newest one is a "gamesaver" and it comes with the hose attachment. My older 2 have the port, but the hose was lost. I also have the cannisters. I LOVE MY FOOD SAVER!!! I don't can. I dehydrate and then vacume seal in jars or bags. But...I will pass on a caution I've head...on vacume sealing flour. It can be combustible just like grains in a grain bin. So, I don't. I keep flour in buckets with oxygen absorbers. Have fun!!!

I have just been given a Seal-A-Meal (my Dad and stepmother bought a Food Saver). I have never used one. The hose, etc wasn't with it. Any idea if I can use Food Saver bags with it since I can't find any Seal-A-Meal bags at the store?

Probably will work just fine. I've used Rival's with my Gamesaver/Food Saver, but prefer the Food Saver bags because they're cheaper. I buy the rolls, cheaper than the pre-cut bags!

• 5 months later...
Anyone seen this?

Seal jar with Foodsaver handheld

I've been eyeing foodsavers, but I know I would only use them to seal my jars. The bags are cool, but I know me and I wouldn't use them much. But being able to use the handheld with the jar sealers would be awesome for my preps budget!

I have one of the original ones, before they came up with the adapter to use the jar sealer, but it should handle the jars just fine as long as it is just 1-2 of them. The battery runs down rather quickly. I use mine exclusively for the ziplock-style bags, which are also provided by Glad® and Ziploc®.

I have the set of 3 cannisters, the set of 2 lids (for regular jars and wide mouth) and then I use the hand pump that Ziplock sells to re-seal my jars etc. that I put back in the frig (lettuce, salsa, olives, you name it) to keep it fresh. I did the lettuce last year and my garden lettuce kept a very long time! Using all three methods I am able to keep just about any jar vacume sealed and can re-use it as I want...keeping it refrigerated of course.

Edited by Philbe

I wouldn't mind having the rechargeable hand held one! Even though I have a Food Saver, it would sure be a lot easier than dragging it out every time I wanted to seal a jar of dried stuff. Thanks for the link P.M.

The regular F.S. is great for sealing all sorts of things. But I'm like you...I know me. If you don't think you'd use it, you probably won't. Not right now anyway. :D