MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CALLING ALL NEW PEOPLE!!! (PART TWO)

Cat

:wave: We'd like to help you find what you want.

I understand that you may be unsure about actually posting, especially if you're new to forums. But to participate in a poll, all you have to do is click on an answer (or two, or three...). *You must be registered and signed in!*

And no, you don't have to be new to vote. Any registered member can vote, and you're invited to comment on your choices afterwards if you'd like. Even if you've just lurked for years, you can do this. :)

In these two polls, you may vote for as many choices as you want. Hopefully, your input will help us better meet your needs and pull up information you'd like to see.

(The first thread about this lost its polls in the recent move. So we'll start a new thread, Part Two, which will give us a picture of *today's* concerns and needs.)

• 6 months later...

I was thrilled to find a feminine site for preparedness and sharing ideas and support in the tough times. I think of myself as a gentle preparedness person. Our home is in continually saving, stocking up and circulating stock, gardening and canning, heirloom vegetable seed saving, making homemade mixes, raising my 8 hens and composting. We are currently reinforcing our home security due to the poor economy in the NW. We have our own business and strive to be as self sufficient as possible.

I am so happy I found this website. I can't honestly say that I see things going well in the future for any of us, but I think preps make things easier. This forum is so easy to use and to ask questions of seasoned preppers. I belong to another forum and anytime I have added things I get shot down, so I just quit posting there. I love the fact that we have people on this site that can answer canning questions for you safely. I have learned so much here. It has helped me financially as well as emotionally. I can can now, dehydrate foods and have found many good recipes for bread. We hope to add more preps this next year that will make me feel even better about our situation. On that note, think I am done blabbing. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am a complete newbie, also in the NW, north of Seattle.

I am hoping to learn how to can, I have a dehydrator already.

I read somewhere about a group of women who get together one day a month to can. They buy whatever is the "loss leader" in the produce section that month, can, splitting the costs and the proceeds. I would love to find a group like that. It would be great to have a group to work with. I have talked to a few of my friends, but they tend to look at me like I am nuts, and I haven't even mentioned the whole "prepping" thing, just the getting good foods without all the added stuff in them.

Because of allergies, we will be basing our preps on things other than wheats, eggs, and milk products.

I have a question, if I am putting raw grains in canning jars, do I need to do them in a hot water bath or just add an oxygen absorber? both? Neither?

:wave: Welcome nini2323a, glad you joined up with us. If you are simply storing the grains and not processing them, you would use an oxygen absorber. You do not process grains in any form of canning when they are put up dry.

:wormie2:

John

• 3 weeks later...
I hope some of you might feel like adding your input for us.

smetpilf.gif

I too was glad I found this site and that it is from a woman's perspective. I am a 50 something, semi-retired person who has long wanted to be independent of as many corporations and government agencies as possible. Now I feel urgency to this desire.

I am in the process of "fixing up" my urban home so I can put it on the market in spring of 2010. I hope it sells quickly and I find a new place quickly. I have researched alternative energy and building since the 70's and have a good idea of what I can afford and do or not do. I have often, and currently do vegetable garden. Even if right now that is mostly container gardening. I remember my childhood on my grandparent's farm and many of my friends have already established themselves in a rural self-sustaining lifestyle, so I know it's a lot of work. But I am ready - more than ready for the challenge.

I still need to learn more, since most likely I won't have instantaneous help once I move. Besides I was raised that if you stop learning you are as good a dead and I am most definitely not ready for that!

I am spiritual but not religious. Long time free-thinking, informed and Independent voter and NRA member. I have fought many battles over the years for the environment, but will not do so at the cost of other people’s livelihoods or so that some entity can make mega profits. I usually see things as half full instead of half empty.

I look forward to discussing and sharing needs, concerns, tips and tricks with all of you.

If interested, I just completed some research on Security Landscaping. I had done this years ago from a younger, urban perspective and just did it again from an older, rural perspective. I would be glad to share my findings.

May God bless you and yours :D

What is Security Landscaping?

nini2033a

Security Landscaping is using thorny plants to help protect your property from unwanted intruders ... I actually posted it under the DYI area, it seemed like the best place to put that information.

Thanks, ckraus111!

Seems like we've had some of that discussion in the Urban Homesteading forum, too. How to prevent people from wanting to hide under windows, etc... thorns are pretty effective! ;)

I'll try to look for it tomorrow. I'm beat and heading for bed... offtobed.gif

Thanks, ckraus111!

Seems like we've had some of that discussion in the Urban Homesteading forum, too. How to prevent people from wanting to hide under windows, etc... thorns are pretty effective! ;)

I'll try to look for it tomorrow. I'm beat and heading for bed... offtobed.gif

My first research on this was from the urban standpoint about 15 years ago. I did another search recently because I am preparing to move rural and wanted to know if there was anything different for rual people than urban people - and there is. So what I posted has information for urban, suburban and rural security landscaping. Just thought it might be good information for people :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cat, I consider myself a 'shadow' prep person. Outside of SOME of my immediate family, no one knows what I have squirreled away, where it is (I have stashed in a few locations), and quite how deeply my preps have gone. I've been gathering for 30 years - and at times 'survival' has been a longterm illness causing financial troubles, or sudden job losses, not to mention nature's odd surprizes. My preps have seen us through all of these. Seen us through well as we have always been warm, dry and well fed.

But to have somewhere to read for ideas, maybe share the odd one of my own, to understand that everyone has the same goals... that's invaluable to me. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I'm an "oldie newbie" member, having come here back in 1999, before the switch to the new host/board, but I voted anyway.

I voted "other" in the first part, because I came back for the friendships. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome... any friend of our friends is another friend!! :happy0203:

:24:

Seriously, if you have any questions or want to find something specific, just ask! We love to help!

:bighug2:

They just do not know how to cook chittlins properly-LOL, wc

:blink:

Ummm... I have to agree with her, at least for *this* northern Indiana gal!!!

Now if ya wanna talk head cheese, souse, and saurkraut, let me know!!! ;)

:happy0203:

Hi "60", glad to see you on "this side of the hedge". These ladies will wear you out with their boundless knowledge of and about things. They just do not know how to cook chittlins properly-LOL, wc

Thank you for the welcome! Can't wait to gain some knowledge, specifically

in canning apples. I have all the equipment, jars, lids, canner, etc. except the

drive to actually sit down and do it. After I master that, I want to try my hand at canning

spaghetti meat sauce.

My son wants me to learn how to can so he doesn't have to cook anymore. (LOL)

:wave: We'd like to help you find what you want.

I understand that you may be unsure about actually posting, especially if you're new to forums. But to participate in a poll, all you have to do is click on an answer (or two, or three...). *You must be registered and signed in!*

And no, you don't have to be new to vote. Any registered member can vote, and you're invited to comment on your choices afterwards if you'd like. Even if you've just lurked for years, you can do this. :)

In these two polls, you may vote for as many choices as you want. Hopefully, your input will help us better meet your needs and pull up information you'd like to see.

(The first thread about this lost its polls in the recent move. So we'll start a new thread, Part Two, which will give us a picture of *today's* concerns and needs.)

Thanks to all of you that are involved helping with this great web site. I am new here and finding my way around, but really like what I see.