MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CALLING ALL NEW PEOPLE!!! (PART TWO)

Cat

Welcome, RebeccaP! As I said, just ask if you're looking for something!

(Unless, apparently, you're looking for a chittlins recipe!! <_< )

:24::24::24:

:bighug2:

Hi Ladybug 60, My friend. So good to see you here. You will find that these gals are not wimps but real survivalists and serious preppers. Pioneers if you would like to call them that. I have been impressed with the depth of their knowledge and intensity of preparing for their families needs. LOL, they would fit right into our little gathering clan's activities and be able to teach us lots of things.

Babbling on-- ramble around the site. Lots and lots to glean but don't just be a lurker-jump right in. See you on the cyber waves till April--yahoo.

Hi Ladybug 60, My friend. So good to see you here. You will find that these gals are not wimps but real survivalists and serious preppers. Pioneers if you would like to call them that. I have been impressed with the depth of their knowledge and intensity of preparing for their families needs. LOL, they would fit right into our little gathering clan's activities and be able to teach us lots of things.

Babbling on-- ramble around the site. Lots and lots to glean but don't just be a lurker-jump right in. See you on the cyber waves till April--yahoo.

How do you like my avatar? Thinking of you.

:wave: Welcome! Good to have you join.

:wormie2:

John

Thank you all for such a warm welcome.

I'll let you know how the strawberry jam turns out. It's my first time to can, but I have so many small jars and the berries are on sale this week.

We suffered quite a cold spell for about two weeks, but the temps are back in the 40-60 range.

After the berries, I'm going to try my hand at my favorite fruit, which is granny smith apples. My son wants me to learn to can so he doesn't have to cook anymore. ha ha, not much of a survivalist, but I wasn't either two years ago, so there is always a beginning.

Here in hurricane country the wise know how to prepare for 1-2 wks of no electricity, which means no gas pumps, atm's etc., but other than that, planning for a full blown disaster, I'm just now learning.

Looking forward to gaining as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks again for such a warm welcome!

LOL, you were in a real "jam" there WormGuy. Strawberry preserves are my favorite. Those and fig preserves. Like L-60 I have lots of jars. Have been buying extra lids for several yrs-whew, didn't know I had so many till I started trying to get them into one place. I am soooo unorganized. Need a secretary to keep me straight-lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I found this board by hopping around through all sorts of boards and sites online. I thought the "you are home" at the top of the page set a really nice vibe for the site, and reading through selected areas I see how true it is!

I am an economist by training, and have been into surviving since I was a kid - I always wanted to be dropped in the woods somewhere and be left for a week to fend for myself. I grew up prepared in earthquake country, re-upped my preps after 9/11 but it slipped after moving to the northeast a couple years into my working life. Fortunately I realized that my preps had slipped, and I'm working on that now! My husband is really handy and we've been doing all sorts of things to our new-to-us house over the 3+ years we've been here. We have an acre, so if things get bad I think we are pretty well poised to make the most of it. If things get horrible we're not in the best set up. We're looking for "lifeboat land", something to own free and clear that we can always fall back on if it all goes bad on a personal or larger scale.

Unfortunately my spidey-senses are telling me that we are in for very hard times ahead. I hope we can avert them, but I'd rather be ready and prepared to enjoy life. That is my real goal, not just surviving but enjoying the process.

I've been trying to cook from more basic foods, and I have learned a lot. Not just how to prepare the food, but that I can't eat gluten. Good thing I was just starting to stock up! Thank goodness those wheat sprouts were so delicious - if I hadn't overdone it with them I may never have made the connection! I'm still learning how to deal with that, and I could use all the advice I can get in that regard. I swapped the Coast Guard bars in my backpack with Ensure and tuna, but I don't know if there are better choices.

I have tons to learn, and you look like an amazing group of women to learn with. I am spiritual but not religious, and truly believe that in the hardest of times we can not only learn for the future but also realize the blessings within the situation. You never know how strong you are until you push your boundaries.

I can't wait to get to know you ladies.

Door#3

• 3 months later...

just posting an introduction, been onmost of the prepping sites and started in the 70's trying to be self sufficent now 30 odd years later I'm still trying, couple of years ago lost all my preps and home but am starting again, since i am on a limited budget i was glad to find this site for us gals and yesterday i saw the discussion on old cookbooks and joined i am also a cookbook addict this started when i was young as my mother and my sister both have admitted to me they suffer from this addiction also, decided i would post today about my new find.

• 1 month later...
Welcome Sherry! :bouquet: Glad you are here!!!

Thank you.

I especially appreciate seeing your signature line.

I wish I had time to stay and poke around a little but unfortunately I've got stuff that needs to be accomplished before I take my daughter to work in about an hour.

Blessings for you all and thanks again for the welcome.

sherry :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am so happy to have rediscovered this site for the ladies.

My husband and I are in the process of being more prepared for more than natural disasters and

we live in Northern California.

He is the retired householder and has begun canning and having a huge garden.

I work full time and have a long commute so I am trying to get more fit

to be able to make it home walking if a crisis prevents me from driving my truck.

I appreciate the willingness of others to share here and hope I can add some good ideas as well.

Welcome home, Edna! :bighug2:

I'm always thrilled when it's the guy learning to can. They can approach it with a whole different, yet still totally practical mindset. ;)

It sounds like you're starting on your goals. Let me know if I can help you find anything. I'm not on as much at the moment, due to computer problems, but I'll eventually find you what you need!

:bouquet:

I can't figure out HOW to vote :(

There are two sections to the poll.

In the poll boxes, you should see a box by each answer. Just click on the box and it should "checkmark" it. You can click on as many as you like. Some polls only allow one or two, but many times people have several different concerns, so I allowed more.

Fill out both (or one, if you prefer) and then go to the bottom of the poll box and click on "Vote!"

That means that you already voted at some time in the past.

If things have changed and you'd like to revise it, you could try "Delete My Vote" and then te-take it, but with the current board problems, it might not be a good idea *at this time*.