MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food calculator

suzyq322

To be quite honest, I've never heard of anyone buying or selling quantities of anything that comes anywhere near these lists. It seems up here that if it ain't tinned, it ain't available. We have Costco, JTF, Batleys wholesalers and general farm shops but nothing like what you guys have got.

I just keep me flatcap pulled down and me whippets close by as I toddle through the white rose county in the northern shires chewing a freshly dug liquorice root. Wow! I've gone all homey at the thought of another kinsman on the site. Welcome Servalan.

Quote:
Wow! I've gone all homey at the thought of another kinsman on the site. Welcome Servalan.

Well, I kick of my sandles, and sit on the veranda, drinking mint julips while I watch the palm froms blowing in the breeze.

I take it that's a little too far a stretch for ya UKGuy?

lol
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a bit puzzled by the LDS calculator. Can anyone tell me how long the calculated amounts are supposed to last ? 70 gal for 3 Adults doesn't seem much. I already have twice that stored and hope it would last a month.

Ogre

If you are referring to water, Ogre, I agree that seems very little water. I suspect it is the amount of water necessary for FOOD PREP only for 3 adults for 3 months.

Whooops. Yes sorry. I was referring to water. Ah.... Sorted. Everything apart from Water is calculated for a year. Water is for a two week period. That's a relief.

Ogre

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
To be quite honest, I've never heard of anyone buying or selling quantities of anything that comes anywhere near these lists. It seems up here that if it ain't tinned, it ain't available. We have Costco, JTF, Batleys wholesalers and general farm shops but nothing like what you guys have got.

I do quite well in my local Lidl (in fact I think they should sponsor my site )

I take a pound to work each day, try and make sure it comes home in the evening and save it. I prep shop in Lidl each week and usually come back with a respectable amount of canned goods with a lonnnnnngggg best before date. They also have occasional specials that would appeal to a 'prepper' like night vision lenses, fire lighting equipment. In fact the scabbard for my main hand weapon (until I can afford a new haft for my axe)is one of their walking pole carriers cut down and converted.

Ogre
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey just wanted to comment if anyone is looking for a practical way to buy a years worth of food, you can do it a little at a time. You pick up a couple of things a week, every week for a year. Then you just rotate it as you use it. The main things to know about food storage are: 1. Get things in that food group that your family will eat. 2. Get a variety. (if you don't do this and your stuck with rice and powdered milk; you will get to a point where you would rather not eat anything. Which totally defeats the purpose!)

But I digress...

I kinda have 2 storage plans going at the same time. I have our "everyday" foods that you buy at the grocery store and our "long term storage" that I buy in #10 cans or buckets. The everyday stuff is where I just buy extra on shopping trips. The long term storage items are purchased based on a "premium year supply" that's sold at Emergency Essentials. They list everything that comes with it and it's set up for 1 adult, 1,600 cal. per day.

I've printed off the list and multiplied everything by 4 since there's 4 of us here (2 are kids but I still buy as if they were adults). Each premium year supply is $1,400 (x's 4). That's roughly $6,000! Can't afford that!!! So each month I try and order a couple of cans (or buckets) and keep a list of what I have and what I still need as compared to what they sell for a year's supply. It's definitely a work in progress. This allows me to make substitutions for things we wouldn't eat. It's also a good list because it has alot of comfort and convenience foods (not just beans and wheat).

Most servings sizes are 1/2 cup which is about what we eat at meals. The only thing it kinda skimps on is beverages. There's only enough listed for 1 cup of milk and 8 oz. of drink mix per day per person. So I have lots more kool-aid and an extra 100lbs. of sugar stored in buckets just for this.

I also try and purchase more than what's listed for some things as I know that an adult needs about 1,800 cal. a day. I also incorporate some of these LTS items into our everyday meals to help rotate and get them used to the "different" taste.

Sorry this was SOOO LONGGGG! Just wanted to give a different option for calculating food. Works well for us!

Archived