MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can we please review what we *can't* can?

Originally Posted By: Lissalue
Sorry if this is clearly stated somewhere and I am just missing it, but what about corn startch?

Lissalue, don't every worry about asking questions, even if they've been asked 100 times before. Each person's safety is paramount around here so we don't mind re-answering questions.

Starch is considered a thickener, therefore is not recommended for use in home canning.
Originally Posted By: Darlene
AH...please.

I know that y'all are very bonded to them, and I hold great respect for them. Let's not take this off to a side road and harbor any personal feelings.

The canning guidelines are scientifically proven to be safe for a reason. Whoever decides to do it differently (whether it be Amish or otherwise) is taking unnecessary risks.

SORRY Dear . . . . it was a joke!
We also don't do EVERYTHING they do when it comes to canning

Can you can butter? I had seen on the net sites that talked about canning butter. I am fairly new to canning. So far I have only made Jam and Salsa. I want to do a bunch of canning this summer. I was hoping to do vegies, soups and butter. I don't want to can something that will make my family sick though. We do use a water canner. Can you can potato soup? Sorry for so many quesitons I just have no clue about it. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Amishway Homesteaders
Originally Posted By: Darlene
AH...please.

I know that y'all are very bonded to them, and I hold great respect for them. Let's not take this off to a side road and harbor any personal feelings.

The canning guidelines are scientifically proven to be safe for a reason. Whoever decides to do it differently (whether it be Amish or otherwise) is taking unnecessary risks.

SORRY Dear . . . . it was a joke!
We also don't do EVERYTHING they do when it comes to canning

LOL and here was me about to add that years ago they used to give you cigarettes to cure a bad chest!

I know it's been said here that you can't can butter, but what about GHEE? I just saw a video online somewhere that said it could be stored room temp, but I've seen it in a grocery in the refrigerator case, so I'm confused.

With what's been said in this thread about not canning OILY things, I'm even less sure...but it would be nice to be able to flavor canned items with the buttery flavor of Ghee...

What do y'all think?

Well, although this ticks off some people, no, canning butter, ghee or any other dairy product is not considered safe home canning practice.

I know that's a bummer, and yes, I canned butter in the past AND threw it all out once I read the facts about the dangers. It's not worth me putting my children at risk trying to push an envelope where there are very real risks.

What I do, since I want those types of products, is buy them from commercial operations where I can be assured they are safe. In fact, I broke down the cost of buying butter, going through all the process, all the equipment needed (jars, bands, seals, etc) and the cost was within pennies of buying a 12oz can of Red Feather butter. I was shocked myself that there really wasn't that much of a price difference and made me feel a little bit better about not taking the risk of canning it myself.

Thanks Darlene...good to know. Thanks for the price info on the Red Feather brand. Wonder how THEY get it processed safely?? I guess it has to do with pricey commercial equipment...oh, well...one less thing to have to do is OK by me!

They don't need to test every recipe or method out there. There are just basic scientific facts about density, ph, etc. that will provide the scientists with the information needed to determine if something is safe to can, using home canning equipment. We don't have that sort of training.

It is a lot of factors, not just ph that go into canning safely.

Foods can actually change ph level as they sit in the jars.

A lot of why we can't safely do some foods at home is just our equipment. It is the somewhere around $100 pressure canners we have, not the multimillion equipment commercial industry have. That, and then all the preservatives they put in the food. I feel that is a BIG reason we can our own food, to get away from all the chemical preservatives in our food.

Sorry, nothing that is like cornstarch, flour, masa harina, grits, etc. are safe to add. No starches.

Oh, there is a new USDA guideline coming out any time now. I keep waiting to hear it has been approved and published.

The extension educator here was going to ask that question at a conference she is attending.

I do agree, no need to pay for the information, unless you don't have a printer. It is all on the website. Same thing with the book So Easy To Preserve from Univ. of Georgia. It is basically the same information in book print. Other than some pickled egg recipes, things like that. I am not sure the book tells how to make yogurt, either. The book is handy to have, though.

They also have a DVD you can buy. Plus, there is a free online food preservation class you can take.

Rachel, the only way to make potato soup is to make a soup base. Then you open it and add your milk, butter, thickeners, etc.

I would suggest you buy a new Ball Blue Book. It has recipes in there for you to use for soups.

You will also need to use a pressure canner, not a water bath canner for anything other than basically fruit, jams, some salsa recipes, pickled foods. All other vegetables, meats, dried beans, etc. MUST be pressure canned. Some salsa recipes also must be pressure canned. Unless you have used a safe, tested recipe designed for water bath canner. They are on the Univ. of Georgia website. (USDA guidelines ) http://128.192.83.157/faq/FAQ_home.php

Sorry, no Cheese Whiz, no butter, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread, thanks everyone.

Liek many here, trying to find recipes for all in one meals I can make and can, and every time I find one that looks good (browsing bettycrocker.com right now), I come back here and check the list. If it doesn't have any forbidden items, I'll make a small batch (once I get back in country), and if I like it, will can it. Anything I'm unsure of, will ask about here and a couple other sites.

A question about heirloom seeds...

The new directions on canning tomatoes are because of the new lower acid varieties. Does that mean one could safely use the older directions for the older varieties of tomatoes?

No, using older varieties won't insure safety. It also has a lot to do with the soil they are grown in. If we each grew tomatoes from the same seed, we would most likely wind up with different ph of our tomatoes. There is honestly no safe way to know if our tomatoes are acidic enough without adding the citric acid/or bottled lemon juice, plus, we need to use the full current processing times. Even using ph strips at home is not recommended. Foods can change ph as they sit in the jars after processing. Better safe than sorry, and use all the up to date guidelines.

Thank you, Violet.

Everything I read seems to say "because of the new tomatoes."

Just wanted some clarification, as I will be growing some heirloom varieties.

• 3 weeks later...

okay i know i am new to all of this and my mom talks about when she was young and her mom canned stuff and i have cousins in VA who can...can you do meats? what kinds? i guess i should go spend time in VA and learn alot huh...[i grew up in Baltimore while the rest of my dad's relatives grew up in the VA mountain area {loved it there} makes my citified end of the family outta the loop huh? shrug]

i know tomatoes can be done, sweet potatoes?, beans?, peppers?

i want to get a garden going again (we had one in 2005/6 but my mom had surgery so we didn't have time...don't want to have a garden full of food growing that the four of us here can't use or eat...maybe i caould sell it? hmmm...wonder if they'd let me have chickens here... happy02 maybe i'm getting ahead of myself again....;) lol

Kaki, you can put up everything you mentioned. I would suggest that you purchase the "Ball Blue Book", it is the Bible of canning. Also look in Preserving The Harvest forum or do some search's for canning certain items. Hope this helps.

bighug

wormie

John

kaki, welcome to MrsSurvival! We're so glad you've joined us.

You're going to love canning, and yes you can home can all the items listed...meats, veggies, fruits, the list is endless. The only things that are not safe to can are dairy products and starches (flour, noodles, rice, etc).

Along with the Ball Blue Book, the National Center for Home Food Preservation is the leading authority for home canning. They're the ones who do all the scientific studies on what and how everything is canned.

Bookmark this url and take your time reading through it...you'll be amazed at all the ideas:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

Feel free to ask any and all questions you may have, we love to share the things we've learned along the way, and we really do stand behind that old saying, "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I enjoyed reading this thread. I had no idea that there were foods one should NOT can so this has been very enlightening.

I have one question and it's about canning bread. Why should bread not be canned? I have canned quick breads by just cooking the bread right in the jars then putting a lid and ring on them. They sealed just fine and tasted good when I opened them months later. What is the danger in canning quick bread this way?

Check these links that Violet posted earlier in other threads

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_can_breads.pdf

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#30

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publication..._008_(2007).pdf

The reason you shouldn't can breads and cakes is that their density is such that heat doesn't penetrate to their core. This allows botulism to survive. if you DO make cakes or breads in a jar, keep them in the fridge, treat them like perishables and eat them right away. I used to make these until Violet updated me.

"Canning" bread is kind of a misnomer since you are only baking in the jar and putting a lid on. There is no processing in a canner, which also means there is no killing of bacteria spores, especially C. Botulinum that loves sealed jars to grow its toxin. And the environment of a low-acid bread is ideal for other molds, yeasts, and other spores.

If you do not want to can butter because it really isn't reccomended you can make Ghee (clarified butter) and just store it in jars. It last about a year.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/ho...-butter-205650/

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/ho...-butter-241324/

There is now commercially canned butter available as well. I am not reccomending this site just posting this link to show what is available.

http://www.internet-grocer.net/butter.htm