MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

All my 'tates sealed, so we've got more potatoes to put back. Did lose some moisture so I know I either had the potatoes too high or too much liquid...but they "spewed" and sealed. I'll be canning some more today as soon as I get my jars washed in the soap & bleach and then into my oven for sanitizing. Wanna see?

post-9087-0-83507900-1438096537_thumb.jpg

Seven more quarts done today. Will find out in the morning when I remove the rings & wash them in hot soapy water if they sealed good! Now...only 3 more bags to do ... each bag has been doing about 7 quarts. :canning:

Forgot to report back - got 7 quarts of spaghetti sauce last weekend. Had about a pint and half left over so I used it for a dinner this week. A little watery but has a good flavor. I probably should have let it cook down more Saturday, but hubby was home and in the way so I had to get it canned.

Last night I did 4 half pints of pickled onions and 2 half pints of pickled cherry/grape tomatoes with onions. I had a Vidalia onion and a purple onion left over and didn't want them to go to waste.

Forgot to report back - got 7 quarts of spaghetti sauce last weekend. Had about a pint and half left over so I used it for a dinner this week. A little watery but has a good flavor. I probably should have let it cook down more Saturday, but hubby was home and in the way so I had to get it canned.

Last night I did 4 half pints of pickled onions and 2 half pints of pickled cherry/grape tomatoes with onions. I had a Vidalia onion and a purple onion left over and didn't want them to go to waste.

I love canning onions, but I don't pickle them. Also, about 3 years ago we had some lovely Okla, so I canned some "squats" of tomatoes, onions and okra. I chopped the Okra really small. It's wonderful stuff :-)

Ran out of good jars, so made a hasty trip to plain people store and stocked up on canning jars, another small round of metal lids, 2 doz. rings, and four boxes of Tattler Lids (they have their own gaskets...and you use regular metal rings on them). I'm keeping back the Tattler's...why? Shtf when all my metal ones are used up and I can't buy any more...I'll have the re-usable Tattlers "-)

I love canning onions, but I don't pickle them. Also, about 3 years ago we had some lovely Okla, so I canned some "squats" of tomatoes, onions and okra. I chopped the Okra really small. It's wonderful stuff :-)

This is the first time I've pickled any.Have a restaurant up near the TN river called Top of the River and they served pickled onions with cornbread. That is where I got the idea to try this.

I liked the white wine brine I used on the bruschetta I made last year and thought it would be good with that.

Your stewed okra sounds good.

No canning last night, but I did make meatballs - 2 lbs ground venison, 1 lb ground beef & 1 lb ground pork. Got 2 cookie sheets full. Will be dividing them up into freezer bags today. Will have to do it before DH gets home and gets into them.

Opened up some jars of potatoes that I canned late last year and made a nice batch of potatoe salad. Could have boiled some of the potatoes we bought, but I want to save them for canning. Freezing two packages & keeping one in frig to eat. (Made 3 containers). Wanna see?

post-9087-0-48291900-1438388662_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-07704600-1438388676_thumb.jpg

Put up 18 pints of tomato sauce yesterday and 5 pints of salsa today. Was able to buy "2nds" from plain people ... 25lbs for $12 and 20lbs for $8. Also 10# of bell peppers $4.00 and picked up a couple of speghetti squash two for a buck. Still have lots of tomatoes to take care of tomorrow and plenty of potatoes left to can up...not counting the meats at the homestead place. There goes the electric bill :-(

DH has taken the canners back to the basement. My marathon canning sent me to the doctor with muscle strain in my hip and down my leg. Not fun But, am doing much better now. Just no canning right now.

Finished canning all the 'maters, peppers & onions :-) Also put up 12 half pints of grape jam/jelly. But, as usual...I'm going to have to re-work the jams etc. These recipes are either not good (don't call for enough pectin) or something! Grrrrr. So we finished washing & drying all the canning equipment and we're planning to hitch up to the TT and bug out for a week or two. We're ready for a "real" vacation and not just 3 or 4 days here and there :-)

I never have good luck with jelly either. I've followed Ball Blue Book and the pectin package directions carefully. It never happens for me. I've accepted it and moved on. I wasted too much time and money trying. I bought a box of assorted single servings, like you get in a restaurant, at Sam's Club. It's just me here and I don't eat a lot of it. I'm on my 2nd. year of the same box so it was cheaper for me anyway.

I never have good luck with jelly either. I've followed Ball Blue Book and the pectin package directions carefully. It never happens for me. I've accepted it and moved on. I wasted too much time and money trying. I bought a box of assorted single servings, like you get in a restaurant, at Sam's Club. It's just me here and I don't eat a lot of it. I'm on my 2nd. year of the same box so it was cheaper for me anyway.

We talked it over and we're in total agreement with you...why waste the fruit, the time, the jars, the lids and the rings for something we rarely eat anyway! We figured we'd hit either $Tree or Aldi's but Sam's is a good choice for single servings!

We talked it over and we're in total agreement with you...why waste the fruit, the time, the jars, the lids and the rings for something we rarely eat anyway! We figured we'd hit either $Tree or Aldi's but Sam's is a good choice for single servings!

I will have to look at the single servings at Sam's. I usually just make jams to give away at the holidays. DH won't eat them. Only grape for him and he's happy with Welch's. Begged me to make him some Grape Crush jelly a couple of years ago after seeing me make Orange Crush jelly. I made it and then he didn't eat any of it. :shakinghead:

Not canning today but will be soon ... again :-) Travel plans have been delayed so we went to a wonderful orchard about 40 miles away and bought two nice baskets of peaches. We took a truck load of our previously canned stuff to the Homestead for inspection and re-stocking there, and I looked at the peaches I canned in 2013 and they looked chrystle clear and beautiful. We'll rotate them out when we've finished canning this new batch. This time I'll have some help! In 2013 he was working so didn't get in on the task :-)

Daelith and WE2...What I got was a mix of Smucker's strawberry, mixed fruit and concord grape. It was about $12.00 for 200 packages!

This is what I got at Sam's Club. It's out of stock online but I got mine at the Sam's Club store. I imagine they will still carry it because I just checked and 3 of the clubs near me have it in stock.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/asstd-fruit-spread-200ct-0-5oz-units/prod15730928.ip?navAction=

Daelith and WE2...What I got was a mix of Smucker's strawberry, mixed fruit and concord grape. It was about $12.00 for 200 packages!

This is what I got at Sam's Club. It's out of stock online but I got mine at the Sam's Club store. I imagine they will still carry it because I just checked and 3 of the clubs near me have it in stock.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/asstd-fruit-spread-200ct-0-5oz-units/prod15730928.ip?navAction=

We have a case of the mayo packets and a case of the ketchip packets...guess we'll look for some jellies! LOL