MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

French Cut Green Beans

I want to can some French cut green beans this year. I like them sautéed with onions and mushrooms. I was wondering if I could can them with a little bit of onions and mushrooms in the jar with the sliced green beans? Packed loosely in pint or maybe even 1/2 pint jars. Add salt and water and pressure can. I know you can can onions and mushrooms separately.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Virginia. I just looked up the canning times.

Green bean pints are 20 min. @10 pounds of pressure

Onion pints are 40 min. @10 pounds of pressure

Mushroom pints are 45 min. @10 pounds of pressure

So when I do them I'll do them for 45 min. Now if they just hurry up and make beans in my area. Everything is so slow this year because of all of the rain we are having.

I'd be concerned with them getting really mushy from that long of cook time. French cut will already get more mushy than regular green beans at the green bean time let alone another 25 min.

Good thought. Maybe not blanch the green beans?

I personally would do them separately since there is such a differing processing time, otherwise most of the contents will be over processed to some degree. However if you are looking for convenience and short storage times, the all-in-one might be acceptable. Try it and compare results.