MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question regarding oatmeal storage

I bought a 25 lb of oatmeal and wondering if I should put it in the freezer to kill off any eggs, etc that might be in it as I do with wheat? What do you all suggest? I will permanently store it in 5 gallon bucket!

I usually buy my steel cut oats in bulk and just leave them in the freezer and take out enought for one small container at a time.

If you don't want to store it in there full time, I would still freeze it a bit in the beginning at least. I always give my stuff that is going into buckets 2 freezings. First I freeze 2 weeks to kill any buggies that are already in there. Then I bring it out and let it get to room temp and that gives any eggs a chance to hatch. Then I freeze a second time to kill them. After that I'll put stuff in my buckets.

You can dry-can oatmeal, grains, powdered milk to last 30 or more years. After washing cans, put in oven for 30 min. at 200 degrees to sterilize and dry them. Then fill them and return to oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours. Then wipe tops with a damp paper towel, add lids and rings. These need the rings kept on during storage. Simple and easy. I have powdered milk I'm just now using that I canned years ago and it is still fresh with no funny taste. I just canned some oatmeal this week.

At this time of year, when it's freezing, I buy my big bags of rice and flours and oats and such and put them on my porch for several days, then bring them in the house. When they are room temp, that's when to put them in the bags and containers. I do mine with sealed bags in two or three pounds and put them in a five gal bucket. I read someplace that freezing grains for at least two days will kill the bugs--but longer won't hurt the grain and maybe it gets the STRONG bugs, haha.

Originally Posted By: betty
You can dry-can oatmeal, grains, powdered milk to last 30 or more years. After washing cans, put in oven for 30 min. at 200 degrees to sterilize and dry them. Then fill them and return to oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours. Then wipe tops with a damp paper towel, add lids and rings. These need the rings kept on during storage. Simple and easy. I have powdered milk I'm just now using that I canned years ago and it is still fresh with no funny taste. I just canned some oatmeal this week.

Betty, just for reference, the manufacturers of the canning jars (Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest) do not recommend placing the jars in the oven. Their guidelines state that they have not made the jars to effectively and safely go through that process...

Just a thought to keep in mind.
Originally Posted By: JCK88
At this time of year, when it's freezing, I buy my big bags of rice and flours and oats and such and put them on my porch for several days,

I was thinking that I would like to do this but I have critters. (large dog, cats and who knows what comes out in the dark!) But you could but them in a large cooler.

Is your porch closed in or do you put them in a cooler too? smile

Ooops..Grubby..my porch is closed in, not heated though. ANd I keep my four cat critterss outta there when I'm freezing things! In short, my porch IS a large cooler!!

yes heating the jars in the oven filled and then sealed works great to create a vacuum and seals quite nicely. I usually do this for food stuffs that I don't want to germinate. I don't do this with wheat or corn or anything that I may want to sprout later.

It is a great way to kill bugs and eggs. I like glass because it is rodant proof! mice can chew through a plastic bucket if they detect anything to eat in it.

As for storing in constant temperatures... that is so very hard to do, but if you look at passive cooling techniques, you may find a technique that will work for you.

scroll down for drawing

http://www.azsolarcenter.com/technology/pas-3.html

http://www.greenbuilder.com/Sourcebook/PassSolGuide3.html

this one has great ideas

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooli...ive_cooling.htm

Here is a really great photo of a passive cooling system

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/...oling_tube.html

I have a similar system in my home. I have a closet in my kitchen to store roots in that operates like the link above. The tubing runs along an inside wall from the north side of the house to the closet and out through the roof. It really does work.

This system shown in the link if for cooling a much larger building. It is something to think about.

• 1 year later...
I always give my stuff that is going into buckets 2 freezings. First I freeze 2 weeks to kill any buggies that are already in there. Then I bring it out and let it get to room temp and that gives any eggs a chance to hatch. Then I freeze a second time to kill them. After that I'll put stuff in my buckets.

I'm a bit confused by this. How do you prevent the moisture that develops from freezing-then-thawing from making the oats soggy or creating mildew in the container? Are they placed in a certain kind of container or bag when you do this? Do you stir them around or spread them out on something to prevent moisture? (I wonder the same about freezing rice since that's usually in a plastic bag, which would trap moisture.)

And how long does it take for the container to get back to room temp? Is it just a few hours, or do you have to leave it out for a few days (during which point new bugs could find their way in)?

Thanks for your help. :)

Archived