MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The time to take a stand is now

Midnightmom

Newt Gingrich Statement on the Proposed “Cordoba House” Mosque near Ground Zero

July 21, 2010 6pm

There should be no mosque near Ground Zero in New York so long as there are no churches or synagogues in Saudi Arabia. The time for double standards that allow Islamists to behave aggressively toward us while they demand our weakness and submission is over.

The proposed "Cordoba House" overlooking the World Trade Center site – where a group of jihadists killed over 3000 Americans and destroyed one of our most famous landmarks - is a test of the timidity, passivity and historic ignorance of American elites. For example, most of them don’t understand that “Cordoba House” is a deliberately insulting term. It refers to Cordoba, Spain – the capital of Muslim conquerors who symbolized their victory over the Christian Spaniards by transforming a church there into the world’s third-largest mosque complex.

Today, some of the Mosque’s backers insist this term is being used to "symbolize interfaith cooperation" when, in fact, every Islamist in the world recognizes Cordoba as a symbol of Islamic conquest. It is a sign of their contempt for Americans and their confidence in our historic ignorance that they would deliberately insult us this way.

Those Islamists and their apologists who argue for "religious toleration" are arrogantly dishonest. They ignore the fact that more than 100 mosques already exist in New York City. Meanwhile, there are no churches or synagogues in all of Saudi Arabia. In fact no Christian or Jew can even enter Mecca.

And they lecture us about tolerance.

If the people behind the Cordoba House were serious about religious toleration, they would be imploring the Saudis, as fellow Muslims, to immediately open up Mecca to all and immediately announce their intention to allow non-Muslim houses of worship in the Kingdom. They should be asked by the news media if they would be willing to lead such a campaign.

We have not been able to rebuild the World Trade Center in nine years. Now we are being told a 13 story, $100 million megamosque will be built within a year overlooking the site of the most devastating surprise attack in American history.

Finally where is the money coming from? The people behind the Cordoba House refuse to reveal all their funding sources.

America is experiencing an Islamist cultural-political offensive designed to undermine and destroy our civilization. Sadly, too many of our elites are the willing apologists for those who would destroy them if they could.

No mosque.

No self-deception.

No surrender.

The time to take a stand is now - at this site on this issue.

Every religion has its hate-mongers and periods of aggressive intolerance. I have no problem with a house of worship being built on privately owned and properly zoned ground, regardless of what that ground might overlook.

Thomas Jefferson drafted the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom: "[N]o man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer, on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

I believe in freedon of religion, but not when it's put in my face! They need to build the mosque somewhere else! I was a half hour from the city on 911 and believe me it wasn't pretty... I looked in the face of a 14 year old child who lost EVERY member of her family at the trade center that day...her face still haunts me!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone happen to catch the clip on Fox News the other morning (I think it was Wed or Thursday on the show that starts after fox and friends). They were interviewing the PR person for one of the groups pushing the mosque. I walked in part way through but watched from then on. They woman was LYING about them wanting to worship and pay respect. You can see her eyes dancing as she was trying to feed yet another load of.....

• 3 weeks later...

I support freedom of religion in our nation, and believe that it is necessary in a democracy. However, I also believe in respect, especially respect of the dead and ESPECIALLY respect of the dead who were killed in any sort of battle for the United States. Let the Muslims build a Mosque in NYC. It is their right. It wouldn't be American to prevent it. HOWEVER, said Mosque does not have to overlook the sight of an attack undertaken in the name of Allah that killed over 3,000 innocent civilians. The Cordoba house can be built, but should be built elsewhere in the city. If the people undertaking its construction were serious about "worship" and "respect" and "honor," they would not be insisting that their worship center be built on a site that is considered one of the most significant conquests of fundamentalist Muslim doctine.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of points to ponder:

1. In the recent past, Carmelite Nuns wanted to build a convent at or very near Auschwitz to pray for the victims. Carmelite nuns are a contemplative order and praying is what they do. However, Jewish leaders were opposed to the idea (I suppose of Christians praying for Jews), so the Carmelites abandoned the plan and went elsewhere. However, I suspect they still pray for the victims.

2. Destroyed along with the WTC was an Orthodox Christian (Greek maybe?) church. So far, NYC authorities have refused to allow reconstruction of the church at its site.

Ok point #3. Historically speaking, when Moslem warriors were successful in capturing 'infidel' (Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist) territory, the existing center of worship was converted to Islamic use. Most famous is the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, once one of the most beautiful examples of Byzantine Christian architecture and now the mosque. The Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed in 79 AD by the Romans, but the significance of the site was not lost on Islamic warriors circa 700 AD. They built their mosque on what had been sacred Hebrew ground.

And finally, the term "Cordoba". As in Cordoba, Spain, once the capital of the Islamic caliphate in Spain, a capital set up after the defeat of Christian forces in Spain.

Archived