Please be aware this is not verified

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=57868

Friday, September 28, 2007

Dozens in Mexican city ill with suspected avian flu

Raises concerns over international implications of epidemic

Posted: September 28, 2007

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Dozens of people in a Mexican city are gravely ill with what is being treated as a possible outbreak of avian flu, according to a new report from a Spanish-language website.

El Universal is confirming that authorities in a neighborhood in Guanajuato 45 patients have been given medical attention at the area's hospital after they reported symptoms including extreme headaches, stomachaches, vomiting, diarrhea and other weaknesses.

The cases have developed over the last two weeks, and "feel [like] death," according to Silvia Villalobos, one of the victims who spoke to El Universal correspondent Xochitl Alvarez in Spanish.

A spokesman for the regional general hospital, Ernesto Castle, indicated he does not know the cause of the problems, but officials are looking at an avian flu virus, which is transmitted by birds and is similar to botulism, as a source.

He reported at least 45 patients have been given emergency room medical attention, while other individuals went to their private physicians for help.

One man reported his wife was hospitalized after the symptoms hit, waking her with fever and chills, before she fainted.

Guadalupe Gomez, a resident of the area, said her concern was that the epidemic was being carried by flies attracted by leather processed in the tanning industry, which includes leathers from other nations.

City spokesman Jose Eusebio Olague said officials have directed that barricades be set up so that the sick do not spread the infections even further.

Traditional causes for fever and chills essentially have been ruled out by various tests, officials said. Sources in the air, water and other industries have been eliminated as a cause, officials said.

This specific situation already was addressed at the recent Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America summit in Canada, where officials released a plan that establishes U.N. law along with regulations by the World Trade Organization and World Health Organization as supreme over U.S. law during a pandemic. It also sets the stage for militarizing the management of continental health emergencies.

The "North American Plan for Avian & Pandemic Influenza" was finalized at the SPP summit last month in Montebello, Quebec.

More at link

It will be interesting to see if this is confirmed. I rather doubt it. It seems highly unlikely that avian flu would be spread by flies around a leather plant. Are they processing huge amounts of ostrich leather? Could the virus make the jump to humans from ostrich skins, even if the birds were infected? Hard to say. What we have is some conjecture from non-medical officials about why people got sick. The news source seems questionable, as it reports without questioning (or correcting) that avian flu is similar to botulism. Good reporting is so rare!!!

Check out the tri-lateral agreement (Canada, Mexico, US)

http://www.spp.gov/pdf/nap_flu07.pdf

Botulism is a bacteria caused illness. I don't know how anyone could confuse it with the flu though. It is a paralytic condition, not respiratory. BTW - botulism has been identified as a potential bioterrorism threat (back in 2003)

more info http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/botulism/

"The last three influenza pandemics, in

1918, 1957 and 1968, killed approximately 40 million,

two million and one million people worldwide, respectively."

I got this quote from your article and does anybody remember pandemics in 1957 and 1968? I was 2 and 13. I remember being sick when I was around 13 or 14 and had to get a shot of penicillin for the first time in my life. I thought they said I might have pneumonia. I remember fever and something with my chest, and was really weak when I went outside for a walk when I first got over it.

1968 was the Hong Kong flu. It was a pretty nasty flu, but nothing like the 1918 flu. I got that one. High fever.

1959 was called the asian flu. I didn't get that one, but my understanding of it was that it was another pretty rough flu.

did anyone actually read this? I did!

here is my take on it!!!!

MISSING Pages!!!

I can't get back to it now as my computer has been giving me fits! "Problem Page Not Found" over and over... but... and maybe it is my computer..

but.. I went to page 22 -- Stockpiling and it is missing!

oh the page marker is there but the page is blank! I read before and after to make sure is just wasn't a fluke.. but there are several pages missing. When I went back to count my computer locked up and I can't get back into it.

The fact the only thing I am interested in is their take on 'stockpiling' and it is gone makes me wonder???? is it not written or it is not for public viewing?

my inquiring mind wants to know more!

I didn't have any trouble finding it.

Stockpiles

While the three countries may have different goals for

their respective pandemic influenza medical stockpiles,

they should work together to do the following:

• Share information on their strategies to stockpile

materials related to pandemic influenza, in

particular:

Share their publicly available stockpiling

goals for pandemic influenza countermeasures

and other pandemic influenza medical