MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating apples using sodium bisulfite?

Does anyone use sodium bisulfite when drying their apples. I like the looks of the ones dried using it, but never have used it myself. If you do use it, where do you buy it at. I know you can purchase it on line, but wanted some opinions first and would like a reputable company to purchase it from. Thanks!

I THINK it's generally metabisulfite that's used ,not bisulfite, but I could be wrong. I know I've used it before. Most homebrew shops should have it. Ip refer to support local stores, but if you don't have one locally, stick with one of the reputable homebrew websites. Two that come to mind are northernbrewer.com and http://www.austinhomebrew.com/. Northern Brewer lists it here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/wine-ingredients.html

It certainly helps stop browning, use it in wine making for the same reason (stopping oxidation, which is what causes the browning).

I have dehydratyed nearly a bushel of apples this season and did not get anything special.

Several batches I did using canned sliced pineapple. Drain the pinapple juice into a bowl. Drop the apple slices in the juice for a minute or two then lift them out and arrange on the dehydrator trays. Dried the pineapple slices at the same time.

Some batches I did using diluted lemon juice to dip the apple slices. I probably did a 1 to 4 ratio of juice to water.

I also did some batches sprinkling the apple slices with Fruit Fresh (ascorbic acid).

All three methods worked fine. I would not spend money sending away for anything, when common ingredients work so well.

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking thru my "How to Dry Foods" book and it showed pics of apples dried using different methods. The ones that had been sulfured looked the best, with the ones dried using sodium bisulfite coming in a close second. But I also realize that just because something looks "prettier", it is not necessarlily better. That's why I come to you guys....so....having said that I think I will try different ways you guys mentioned instead of using something I can't really "pronounce"...lol. Thanks again.

Also welcome etp777.....haven't seen you here before. I will also make note of the sites you mentioned just so I will KNOW of some reputable suppliers. Thanks.

I don't use anything on my dried apples. I don't care if they are a bit tan in color. I would rather have them natural. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lemon juice makes them more tart to me.

Either way is fine, just a personal preference.

Thanks for the welcome, whitewolf.

The Fruit Fresh(ascorbic acid) would be my way of choice, as you can buy it in bulk powder, and it's just vitamin C. The powder seems to store better than the vitamins anyway, and takes up less space. I've never treated my apples, as the looks don't bother me either, but my curiosity would be whether the oxidation is binding vitamins, etc, in some way that they can no longer be processed by your body properly. Looks don't matter, but if I'm losing nutrition, that's not a good thing.

I have been doing a little reading this afternoon and this is a little of what I found, etp777. Food grade sodium metabisulfite aka sodium bisulfite retards browning and loss of vitamins. The down side seems to be that the trace that is left on the fruit is not suppose to be harmful to you.....but the holding and pretreatment solution can be harmful in ingested.....soooooooo....I will go with the ascorbic acid or something else natural or nothing at all. I figure we get enough "unknowns" in our foods as it is without adding more.

Yeah. There are also people who are allergic to sulfites. Generally, if you can eat raisins, you're probably not allergic to sulfites. But for those who are, can act like an extreme asthma attack.

Archived