MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do with pulp from juicer?

DH and I juice every morning. As a result we have lots of pulp that probably has use and nutritional value. Does anybody use the pulp from their juicers and, if so, how. Also, is there a way to preserve it? I thought about using the dehydrator but I don't know how I would use it after it is rehydrated. Any suggestions?

It will take a lot less space dried. You can dry it chewy and eat it like fruit rollups, or dry to the brittle stage and powder it, adding the powder to pancake batter, cakes, etc.

I also juice regularly. The pulp contains a wealth of fiber but I'm not sure how much nutritional content is left after juicing. It can enhance most baked goods. If you dehydrate it, it can be ground to a powder and used in different ways depending on what it contains. I use dehydrated and ground vegetable pulp in my coatings on meats and to thicken soups and in casseroles. I use the dehydrated ground fruit pulp in deserts, mixed into drinks or yogurt.

If you juice every day though, that can be a lot of pulp a week. I mix it into feed for various livestock and poultry and even the cats like some of it, especially, believe it or not, fruit pulp.

I put it into my compost pile if I'm in a hurry but I've been thinking of starting a worm bed and use it for feeding them.

:bighug2:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm juicing for my Mom who had colon cancer surgery in October.

I use these items: broccoli, kale, red leaf lettuce, carrot, 1/2 an apple, cored, 1/2 a seedless orange, cabbage, a Roma tomato, celery. Then I make a stir fry out of the pulp, even with the white stuff from the orange. It's surprisingly good seasoned up with some herbs and little salt. It's bright and colorful too.

Then I added some mayonnaise to the leftover stir fry and made a very good sandwich spread out of it.

This is my first post...so HI!!

Carrot pulp is good as a carrot soup--add some water, ginger, ect. and cook.

Fruit pulp, Ifreeze into pops for the kids,

veggie pulp can be added to a cracker base to make some yummy crackers or even just dehydrated like a fruit leather only till it gets crunchy and used as crackers.

Fruit pulp mixed up into leathers or dehydrated and sprinkled onto oatmeal.

I ended up getting an awesome blender that purees veggies into juice so now I get my juice and drink my fiber too!

I have some good recipes for pulp usage, but I just had surgery on my right hand so typing left-handed is slow and tedious. (also why my post is choppy)

You can add applesauce and dry it into fruit leather.

You can feed it to the worm bins, chickens (they love pulp of all sorts) or compost.

I don't think I'd be creative enough to add it to muffins, etc.

Hi try2basunbeam!! Welcome. Good post y'all. DD juices some and I'll pass these on to her!! Thanks.

Okay. Experimenting I have dried my vegetable pulp. I have added the dried pulp to bean soup, spaghetti sauce and stew with really good results so far. It makes a good thickening agent. Although it doesn't have as many of the vitamins as before it still has nutrients and fiber (way better than flour or corn starch). Dried and food saved it has a pretty good shelf life. Also you get the flavors of the veggies when you use it.

Archived