MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What can I do with really ripe pears?

hopegrows

Pear leather! A little bit of Lemon juice (to keep the color if that is important to you) and a small amount of Honey, though if the Pears are this ripe you might not need that. Pear leather is sooooo good! Our summer (?) has been so crazy that our Pears are still green - ditto the Asian Pears - we're not sure if they will ripen before frost or not!

I wimped out. I am sick of canning! I canned 8 pits out of the decent one and the rest got juiced with some apples that needed used up. We put the juice in the freezer. I figure if the ones I canned are too mushy when we open them, I can mash them and serve them like applesauce or make pear leather. I usually make fruit leather when I have leftover fruit that nobody wants, casue as soon as it it leather my 10 yr old polishes it off quick!

Thanks for the suggestions, I still have a fridge drawer full that are too green to do anything with, so I can plan now what to do.

I originally read that as "peas" not pears and thought BLECK! throw em out! lol

juice em, freezer pops, fruit leather. Wouldn't be a storage item, but could you make a pear sauce cake a la apple sauce cake?

That's Ok, looking back at my last post I said I canned 6 pits, it was supposed to say pints! Overripe peas would have been in the compost by now :-) I hate to waste food espeically when it was a gift, but those pears are making me crazy. I told the boys we will eat the last of them fresh casue they were not going in a jar if I could help it. I still have chili to do, but that is easier. I put away everything in the kitchen except the items I will need for the chili and that helped alot. The kitchen was onverrunning with jars, lids, applesauce mill etc- way too much stuff for a little kitchen. I feel much better now that everything is put away and I am done for a while!

pear chutney? ( I used to make this but don't know if I still have the recipe.)

Hope, when you open the canned ones, stir in some cinnamon candy imperials or crushed cinnamon stars, and heat gently, stirring, until the pears turn color. We cannot keep that stuff in the house.

Archived