MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Darn it all - left the yogurt out!

I made a quart of organic whole-milk yogurt overnight, and then got busy this morning, never heard the yogurt maker beep, and forgot all about it. Eight hours later, I just remembered it. So it's been sitting on the counter all day, yogurt maker turned off. I don't suppose it's safe for cooking? Makes me cringe to throw all that good expensive milk down the drain!

If you dont feel comfortable using it, [ you didnt say how warm your kitchen is] do you have animals? The dog, cat, chickens would all enjoy a moderate amount once a day until used up.

If you dont feel comfortable using it, [ you didnt say how warm your kitchen is] do you have animals? The dog, cat, chickens would all enjoy a moderate amount once a day until used up.

The house was probably about 70 degrees, so I don't know how that affects things. You're right - the dogs would probably love it!

sorry but I agree - it might NOT be safe to eat - - and do you want to take the chance that it MIGHT be OK?

I always write the time I started things and the time they should be done on a small blackboard I have in the kitchen. Just in case I don't hear the timer, also I can look and see just how much more time I have to do chores or gardening before I have to be back in the kitchen to finish.

Things like:

in oven -> 7:30

put -> 8:45

is all I need to know but sometimes:

In -> 2 pm

turn -> 3 pm

out -> 4:30

It work well for me.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

sorry but I agree - it might NOT be safe to eat - - and do you want to take the chance that it MIGHT be OK?

I always write the time I started things and the time they should be done on a small blackboard I have in the kitchen. Just in case I don't hear the timer, also I can look and see just how much more time I have to do chores or gardening before I have to be back in the kitchen to finish.

Things like:

in oven -> 7:30

put -> 8:45

is all I need to know but sometimes:

In -> 2 pm

turn -> 3 pm

out -> 4:30

It work well for me.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I threw it out last night. Normally, it's not a problem, my yogurt maker beeps several times before it finishes so I know it's coming. But, I was trying to get myself together to get out the door yesterday morning and it got lost in the shuffle. I looked at it when it still had half an hour to go - I should have just pulled it out at that point!

I am glad you tossed it. Getting food poisoning is not worth a bit of food thrown out.

The difference is that at first you have healthy bacteria being produced. Then, as it sits at room temp. then spoilage bacteria will start growing. Would you normally take already made yogurt, then sit out on the counter for 8 hours and eat it ?

You should see the astronomical rate in which food spoilage bacteria grows at room temperatures.

I am glad you tossed it. Getting food poisoning is not worth a bit of food thrown out.

The difference is that at first you have healthy bacteria being produced. Then, as it sits at room temp. then spoilage bacteria will start growing. Would you normally take already made yogurt, then sit out on the counter for 8 hours and eat it ?

You should see the astronomical rate in which food spoilage bacteria grows at room temperatures.

My husband has done that before. I gagged just watching him. Good point. :D

Archived