MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SCORCHY SUMMER!

98 today with heat index 108...that spells miserable!  I wash clothes and hang them out one day at a time.  House dresses are a must, until I leave the house.  Hubby checked garden this morning on his way to work and everything seems to be doing fine just watering every other day.  Dusting with the baby powder seems to be keeping insects at bay.  I'm thinking that maybe using baking soda with some peppermint and lavender essential oil might work and be cheaper?

Edited by The WE2's

It rained (downpour) Sunday & Monday night. So much, we had a river running through our yard. 

It rained here in TX yesterday a couple hours after I arrived. The clouds are building again this afternoon. 

DH said it's over 100 today at home.  

Rain, hot and humid, more rain, more hot and humid.  Looks like we brought a Ga summer back to Wis.  Ugh.  Right now (late night) the thunder is rumbling nonstop. And several of our dogs are afraid of thunder.  So they want to sit on our laps as if its not hot enough already.  Poor babies.  All except the baby Jack.  He just misbehaves, chewing up all kinds of things.  How long will he keep teething, I wonder.  We are at 6 months now, and there are glimmers of brains now and again.  

We've been in "monsoon season" for weeks.  No end in sight.  That's great for me!  :hapydancsmil::frozen:  :hapydancsmil:

Saw 40 degrees on thermometer at 2am last nite.  Going down into the 30's at night in Aug is a bit extreeme.....even for 9,000' in the Rockies....  :rolleyes:

But this summer has generally been quite COOL. 

The downside is that it usually means constant THUNDER.....LIGHTNING.....RAIN tearing great gouges in the driveway and walkways.  I have to keep unplugging electrical things.  With DH not breathing at full capacity [up here where the oh-two is scarce anyway] ...I've been daily trying to shovel a few minutes, getting the driveway ravines filled in again......and again....and again.  :sigh:   I've only gotten the first of 3 great ravines filled in.  :0327:  

MtRider  ...but I sure do like the cooler summer!  :amen:

Monsoon season, wonderful rain. However, for us, it rises the humility and brings out mosquitoes!!!   

While Possum was here, we had a refreshing light shower that felt like a misting system. At least she didn't get fried from the heat. Lol. 

We got 2 days of off and on showers. One time the rain was coming down sideways. 

It is amazing how quickly the lawn grew. 

:sigh:  ....well.....we've been close a few times this summer.  Even in July. 

But now....it's happened!  :runcirclsmiley2:

It was 32 DEGREES when DH got up this morning. 

He even turned on the pellet stove!   :blink:

Now..... my elderly parents have turned on their furnace from time to time all "summer".....but they're elderly.  They don't count.  :unsure:

Y'all might not believe this but ....................WINTER COMETH! 

MtRider  :frozen:    :happy0203: 

Temperatures have been crazy here too. A couple of times this past week I've actually been chilly. I can't even run the fan. I like them for background white noise as much as anything. It also helps to keep my laptop cool since my lap desk thingy with a fan in it stopped working.

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

It also helps to keep my laptop cool since my lap desk thingy with a fan in it stopped working.

Jeepers....I used gel freezer packs for four years to keep my laptop cool enough.  My actual computer fan quit working before it was a year old.  I had a real problem cuz computers do not like heat.  Just had to be sure WHERE to place it underneath the laptop so it wasn't blocking any vents.   ....I love those laptop desk thingies!  Gave my mom one too.  :thumbs:

Around here, a small Frosty at Wendy's is 50 cents...limited time offer.   Not that we needed ANY cooling today but we stopped and bought four of them.  Two to eat and two to put into the freezer for 'sometime'.  :yum3: 

...saw the sun X2 today and rain/thunder/LIGHTNING/clouds the rest of the time.  The cactus will be growing mold soon....  :lol:

MtRider B)

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

A bag of frozen peas would probably work good too until I can get another lap desk. I like them because it keeps the computer off of my lap and they keep the air vents free. Sometimes (like now) I put a little something under the front edge of the laptop to hold it up a little for air circulation. Sometime just my hand holding it up for a few minutes helps. I'm on the 3rd. battery for this one. I've never had a laptop where the battery didn't get hot. You'd think they would fix that flaw by now.

I usually sit with my legs up and sideways in the chair and one side rests on my leg and the other side rests on the arm of the chair. I get the ones with a USB plug-in that runs a little fan under the laptop.

Not complaining here.  Typically at this time of year it's in the high 90s or low 100s.  It's only been in the 80s for the past several days and we haven't had to use the air conditioner at all.

Wow...that's nice, Dogmom.

As DH and I went in to visit today.....with overcast skies covering the sunshine we had this morning, we discussed if we could live in Pacific NW.  This is the Dress Rehersal summer for PNW weather....that's for sure!  In over two decades, we've never seen this much rain/cloud.  It hasn't bothered either of us.  The exception is trying to do a project that would be much easier in dry weather.  But most things....put on a rain coat and go.  :shrug:  I think we could do it!  I do like the morning [cooler] sunshine for a while.  The big difference would be humidity levels.  Tho ours are HIGH this summer....it's high relative to what we normally have.  PNW would be higher than we've experienced this summer, I'd guess. 

So....who knows.  My mom, however, is not liking the rain...rain...rain.  Too bad cuz her one surviving cousin lives near Seattle.  They'd have a blast in the same retirement place. 

MtRider  .....don't like mud either but don't have much in our granite bits...

• Like 1

It's been so cool here too. Tonight it's only 58 degrees. That's something for the middle of August. The high has only been in the mid to low 70's. We should be in the mid to high 80's. I'm lovin' it though. No air conditioning bill so far this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 11:48 PM, Jeepers said:

A bag of frozen peas would probably work good too until I can get another lap desk. I like them because it keeps the computer off of my lap and they keep the air vents free. Sometimes (like now) I put a little something under the front edge of the laptop to hold it up a little for air circulation. Sometime just my hand holding it up for a few minutes helps. I'm on the 3rd. battery for this one. I've never had a laptop where the battery didn't get hot. You'd think they would fix that flaw by now.

I usually sit with my legs up and sideways in the chair and one side rests on my leg and the other side rests on the arm of the chair. I get the ones with a USB plug-in that runs a little fan under the laptop.

We bought a couple of those folding things for laptops...they work great for us..available at WM...LOL