MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing jerky

Ok so I am making jerky. The only problem is I no longer have 3 sets of hollow legs in the house to devour it within a week. I have 02 packs and I have moisture absorbers, I am going to store it in glass jars. Does anyone mix the to packs? I know I need the moisture absorber to keep moisture out and I want to use the 02 packs to help seal it. Any suggestions?

What did you mean?

Does anyone mix the to packs?

Edited: Oh, you mean putting both O2 absorber and moisture absorber packs in with the jerky. Ah.... :shrug: I actually haven't used O2 absorbers in anything ....yet.

I've had some jerky in freezer. I have some purchased jerky in original packaging in the cool basement [sealed away from rodents.

MtRider :scratchhead: Nope, I don't know the answer either.

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • 2 weeks later...

I have jerky in a canning jar, lid screwed on, in my freezer. The low moisture in it keeps it from getting 'freezer burn' or off flavors. Every time I take out a slice it seems to be pretty much the same as when I froze it months ago. Note: it is pretty dry jerky.

:wave: lgarden2.

Lately, I've noticed O2 and moisture packets in the packaged pepperoni. I've used both together and never had a problem.

Jerky does not last long enough in our house to store it long term. 30 lbs of deer jerky was gone in a week. :faint3:

• 3 weeks later...

Jerky never lasts around here either. Between me and the begging dogs it goes quick. Beef has gotten so expensive that I haven't made it for awhile. After reading this I am craving some again. If only I could make it without the critters smelling it!