MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

Homemade baked macaroni and cheese with ham in it from yesterday's baked ham. :yum3:

Tapioca pudding from a mix... haven't had tapioca pudding for a LONG time!

Mmmmm....I :wub: tapioca pudding. :)

Still left-over Vege Soup here....but...I made venison burger gravy and home-made yeast biscuits for breakfast and DH browned up the rest of the venison and put it in the soup. :feedme: Pretty darn good on biscuits. ;)

Had a couple of left-over potatoes in the fridge, so DH made a small pan of potato soup for lunch. :)

For dinner I made bacon wrapped, stuffed anahiems (stuffing: ground venison and pork; rice; goat milk ricotta) and *mashed* hubbard sprinkled with parmesan. YUM! :feedme:

Venison Stroganoff

Made Amish bread again today. Tried CHERRY!! We kind of had it for desert. DH says he doesn't care for it. Even though he ate a WHOLE small loaf! :faint3: So he wants me to try STRAWBERRY next time. dry.gif:008Laughing:

Chicken & dumplings (Paula Deen's recipe, slightly modified) with hot poppy-seed rolls. Made it worth the snow shoveling!

Last night I made baked beef cubed steaks with mushroom soup gravy, with mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

I got not only a "That looks GOOD!" from my DH, but a "Wow, Mom, this is a great meal!" from lilDD. :wub:

It's awfully nice to get a compliment now and then. :cook:

DH has been moving snow all morning and I've got a jar of corn chowder warming up that I canned last summer. We're also having pumpkin bread that I made last fall and has been in the freezer. A pie I made this morning from my next to the last squash of the summer and voila lunch is ready when he comes in.

I love these meals I make from my own garden all winter long!

Stuffed Shells :)

Stuffed with spinach out of the freezer from the garden, venison burger, goat cheese (compliments of the *girls*) and eggs from the *ladies*. Even used dried herbs from my *weed* garden for seasoning. :lois: Made the sauce with a couple pints of salsa and a quart of tomatoes. :yum3:

DH didn't get his strawberry Amish bread this time. I'm out of vanilla pudding. :wacko: It takes two small boxes or one large box and all I had was a small box of chocolate and a small box of cheesecake, so chocolate cheesecake Amish bread it is! :rolleyes: DH has been putting peanut butter on it and calling it Reese's Sandwiches. dry.gif He's weird. :24:

I did a search and found this: http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40231&st=0&p=337766&hl=+friendship%20+bread&fromsearch=1entry337766

My recipe is similar to CoM's. For my starter, I mix 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup milk with bread yeast. The batch I have now has been going for about 4 months. Where it says to add 1 cup of each again on day 5 and on day 10, I only add 1/2 cup of each. Then take out 1 cup starter to hold back for next batch before I start my recipe. Otherwise, if you add 1 cup of each, you gotta find 2 friends to pass the extra on to or make extra or whatever.

For the variation of flavors: I don't add the cinnamon and I don't *sugar* the pans. Instead of vanilla pudding, you can substitute other flavored puddings--lemon, pistachio, butterscotch, chocolate, etc. ....or... use vanilla pudding and instead of vanilla extract, substitute other flavored extracts--orange, cherry, strawberry, almond, black walnut, etc. I usually use 1 1/2 tsp flavoring extract, instead of the 1 tsp vanilla the recipe calls for. You can also add fruits (drain well), nuts, raisins, etc. Sometimes I do *banana* nut with banana creme pudding and walnuts, or oatmeal raisin. Usually if I use *real* fruit (blueberries, cherries, cranberries), I make the bread in muffin pans. (YUM!)

There are so many things you can do with this recipe and since you keep the starter back, you get to start over *fresh* and come up with something totally different anytime you want. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It was kind of a strange day. We didn't really eat at "normal times". They had a late breakfast, I fixed brats around 2, and baked baby back ribs for supper. Boy, were THOSE good! :feedme: I love Sweet Baby Rays's BBQ sauce.

The ribs were a Super Bowl special... nearly half price. So I baked them till tender and then cut them into sections and baked them in the sauce.

And there are enough to have tonight, with some in the freezer for one of "those" nights. :thumbs:

(And yes, we had side dishes, but nothing special.) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For Valentines Day, I made Hubby's favorite meal... meatloaf and scalloped potatoes. Added freshly cooked asparagus that I found on sale, and even lilDD said it was great. :)

*SIGH* I like making them happy. :wub:

Satueed chicken with tarragon some garlic and onion and adobo minus the pepper. It smells good and you just let it slow cook in the pan.

Green beans and fresh carrots.

Tater tots. LOL.

I forgot to get ice cream again......... lol. Have not had any in about 5 months....... what kind would be good for dessert if I had bought it?

Necie said : My recipe is similar to CoM's. For my starter, I mix 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup milk with bread yeast. The batch I have now has been going for about 4 months. Where it says to add 1 cup of each again on day 5 and on day 10, I only add 1/2 cup of each. Then take out 1 cup starter to hold back for next batch before I start my recipe. Otherwise, if you add 1 cup of each, you gotta find 2 friends to pass the extra on to or make extra or whatever.

Thanks for the reminder Necie I need to start learning to make it and use it!

But we need a breakfast thread , this is for supper! :grinning-smiley-044:

I love sourdough bread and stuff too!

Can one use whole wheat flour with sourdough starter to make pancakes? I think I have seen recipes for pancakes with Sourdough starter used??????? :ashamed0002:

Edited by arby

Necie said : My recipe is similar to CoM's. For my starter, I mix 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup milk with bread yeast. The batch I have now has been going for about 4 months. Where it says to add 1 cup of each again on day 5 and on day 10, I only add 1/2 cup of each. Then take out 1 cup starter to hold back for next batch before I start my recipe. Otherwise, if you add 1 cup of each, you gotta find 2 friends to pass the extra on to or make extra or whatever.

Thanks for the reminder Necie I need to start learning to make it and use it!

* we need a breakfast thread since I was thinking pancakes with sourdough starter, but my post didn't post......

I love sourdough bread and stuff too!

Can one use whole wheat flour with sourdough starter to make pancakes? I think I have seen recipes for pancakes with Sourdough starter used??????? :ashamed0002:

Edited by arby