MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Scottish recipe for Westbrook

Hey Westy - If you're ever passing by Scotland stop in and I'll treat you to some Haggis. Once I got past the ingredients, it turned out very tasty. rofl

The neeps and tatties are a regular around here, as well as rutabagas in all our soups.

th_sheep.gif

Haggis

1 sheep’s pluck (heart, lungs, liver) and bag (stomach)

2 tsp toasted oatmeal

1 tsp salt

2 sm onions

½ tsp black pepper

8 oz shredded suet

Scrap and clean bag in cold then warm water, soak in salt water overnight. Wash pluck then boil for two hours with windpipe draining over the side of pot. Retain one pint of stock. Cut off windpipe, remove surplus gristle, chop or mince heart and lungs; grate best part of liver (about half only).

Parboil and chop onions, mix all together with oatmeal, suet, salt, pepper and stock to moisten.

Pack the mixture into bag, allowing for swelling. Boil for three hours, pricking regularly all over. If bag not available, steam in greased basin covered by greaseproof paper and cloth for four to five hours.

It is not known who invented the haggis, or where it was prepared for the first time. It’s been speculated that the dish originates from the days of the old Scottish cattle drovers. When the men left the highlands to drive their cattle to market in Edinburgh the women would prepare rations for them to eat during the long journey down through the glens. They used the ingredients that were most readily available in their homes and conveniently packaged them in a sheep’s stomach allowing for each transportation during the journey.

Haggis was born of necessity, as a way to utilize the least expensive cuts of meat and the innards as well. In fact, in times of famine people would eat whatever is was that they could get their hands on, which is how all those fascinating ingredients became a part of local tradition and a rite of passage for all Scots.

The dish is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties” or translated turnips and potatoes, which are boiled and mashed separately, along with a dram (a glass of Scotch whisky).

th_ScottishFlag.gif

haggis.. oh yes, ingredients not a problem! I ate a dead frog once and I didn't die!

I will be right over.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
haggis.. oh yes, ingredients not a problem! I ate a dead frog once and I didn't die!

Did you cook it first? grin
Stacy

Y'all may know about this already, but products from Caledonian Kitchen are pretty good! He has canned haggis, in varieties. Here's the link:

http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/catalog/

I like Scottish meat pies - I'm searching for a recipe, since ordering them gets pricey!

now I gotta make a kilt!

I am learning to make one! all this talk of haggis has me looking up my husbands scotish lineage!

Does anyone have a recipe for Scones? My Dad used to talk about eating scones when he and his siblings arrived home from school. (Dad was born in 1900) and his Mother would have them warming on the back of the cook stove. My DM tried repeatedly (using different recipes) but none matched Dad's memory of his Mother's scones. Now, both Mom and Dad are gone, but I'm curious to what a scone taste likes.

Archived