MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Three favorite Gadgets?

So, I have a kitchen full of gadgets. Everyone knows I like to cook so I get lots of interesting gifts. Some, that I thought I'd never use, I use all the time! So, what are your three favorite cooking gadgets?

Mine:

1) meat thermometer - why did I cook for 30 years without one?!? This thing is great and there is no guesswork involved.

2) Stir-Crazy - http://www.asseenontvguys.com/stir-crazy-as-seen-on-tv.aspx Making jam is such a snap now! I let that thing stir away while I prepare my next batch of fruit!

3) Food Processor - I just have a cheapo Hamilton Beach from Wal-Mart. It makes food prep so much faster and when I'm done, it goes through the dishwasher!

1 - Food slicer/dicer/grater/grinder(meat and grain)/flaker(oatmeal)machine :thumbs:

2 - KNIVES :happy0203: (OK...mebbe they don't count as 'gadgets')

2 - Dehydrator [for yogurt too]

3 -Rice cooker

4 - Bread maker [on dough setting only, for mixing, kneading bread/pizza crust dough] {hey, CGA had FIVE! :lol: }

Wish List:

Vacuum sealer machine

I try not to get devices/gadgets/appliances that are single use....too specialized. I TRY to make sure to use the simplest, multi-use, and even, non-electric.....y'know...in case. But in the meantime, while the lights are still on, it's nice to save energy/muscle/time with specialized gadgets.

MtRider :feedme:

LOL - I have far more than 3 "gadgets" that I use every day! In fact, the three gadgets I listed I don't use daily at all, but I put them down because I was absolutely astonished that I would find them so useful!

Microwaves, dishwashers, knives, canners, dehydrators, etc - these DON'T count!

List absolutely bizarre kitchen tools that you use that you never ever in a million years thought you would find a use for! (I'm making my Christmas list! :D )

Microwaves, dishwashers, knives, canners, dehydrators, etc - these DON'T count!

List absolutely bizarre kitchen tools that you use that you never ever in a million years thought you would find a use for! (I'm making my Christmas list! :D )

Sure, I finally come up with my list of 3 and you go and change the rules! :008Laughing:

1. Knife sharpener. Years ago, I bought DH one of those Lansky knife sharpening kits so he could keep his hunting knives sharp. He keeps the kitchen knives sharp with it, too.

I'll have to come back with 2 and 3 later on, since I can't use crockpot and dehydrator!

I am realizing how much I use my crockpot since I broke the lid a few weeks ago. Glass was everywhere, but no one got hurt, so that's the important thing. I went to an outlet mall and bought a round glass pyrex casserole dish lid that I THOUGHT would fit, but it's a little too big. No where seems to sell casserole dish lids anymore.

Took me a while to think of what was most useful and which were most used.

A rubber spatula, 1,000 uses.

A meshed sink drainer, I can not believe how much stuff it keeps from going down the drain.

A typical mechanical timer. Works without electricity, lol.

~~~~~

Oh, and a cutting board and a rolling pin.

Like others I have more than 3 but at this time of year I can't imagine being without my:

1. Food processor

2. Squeezo

3. Huge kettles.

The rest of the year they all are seldom used but now they are on my counter throughout the canning season.

Edited by Dee
Spelling

Gosh...3? No way!!! Microwave, food saver, dehydrator, mesh sink strainer, meat slicer, my Bullet, convection oven, cutting mats, sharp knives, ceramic knives, sun oven, where do I stop? I probably use at least 3 every day...some weekly...I'm with the rest of ya ladies! Got lots of tools of our trade (smile).

Welcome Philbe!!!

Keurig

Bunn Coffee Pot (we drink that much coffee in the water)

Kitchen Aid Professional Mixer

Bread Machine (for pizza dough)

Handheld food processor/blender (it was a shower gift and I love it. I can mince cups mushrooms in a matter of minutes when I make risotto)

Canner

Mini crockpot (it's for dips but I use it to keep my flat lids hot when I'm canning)

Cheese knife

Hand crank nut chopper (go one way for course, the other for fine)

Big crockpot