MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Back Surgery

Well it seems to have gone well. DH brought DM down as I was waking up. Had a nice visit. They put me in a paper gown at first which could be ( and was!) inflated with warm air. Ahhhhh !!!!!! So all in all successful. Just wanted to drop by and say "hiya!!"

Hey y'all. Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts. I got to come home Thanksgiving afternoon.

As most of you know, DH and I have been taking care of my mom. She's been doing alright, although she tries to do way more than she should. This morning, about 6:30, I heard her call to me. She sounded as if she were in trouble, so I pulled myself out of bed and in order to get to her, I didn't put on my brace - did take my walker though. Well I got to her room and she was disoriented and wasn't sure where she was or why she hadn't been fed (mini-stroke?) Anyway, I felt lightheaded so I got myself to the bathroom and on the toilet. I thought I'd begun to recover when I keeled over and landed squarely on my left cheek. :imoksmiley:

I twisted my neck some, too. Mom got hysterical and DH got there fast and got me up. Called my home health nurse and put frozen peas on my neck and my icepack on my face. When I felt better, I bathed my face in warm water, applied Arnica gel to my cheek and neck. There is barely a red mark now on my cheek and my neck is loosening up as well. Back seems none the worse for the adventure, but I've taken a hydrocodone (first pain med I"ve taken in all this; there's really been no pain). The home health nurse came last night to change the dressing on my incision. She counted 34 stitches :eclipsee_Victoria: and she took a picture for me.

Well that's my adventure. Whatcha y'all up to? :hapydancsmil:

So you're saying better you fell after the surgery than before? Wow.

I'm playing with recipes today. Also have red beans soaking for tomorrow's dinner and a loaf of bread baking right now.

Oh dear. It is so hard when the caregiver is ill and the person she was caring for still needs attention.

Me? I am waiting for the washer to finish so I can hang daughter's bed pad outside and get the rest of her laundry in the dryer. I don't like to put the pad thru the dryer because it is hard on the vinyl backing. Want to get her bed done before a friend of a friend comes to pick us up for a belated Tnksgiving dinner at the friend's house. We'll be late getting home. Wish daughter hadn't chosen today to sleep in and pee the bed. Guess I should have routed her out sooner but I was enjoying a little relaxing time. See, I paid for it. (Rueful grimace.)

I heard full time caretakers are some of God's favorite people! :grouphug:

Next time you get the woozies, MacK.....get ye clear down to the floor. DH will have a time trying to get you up but then....that happened anyway. Is your mom's orientation better now?

MtRider :pray: Bless this family and all those who are taking care of those in need!

Oh dear. It is so hard when the caregiver is ill and the person she was caring for still needs attention.

Me? I am waiting for the washer to finish so I can hang daughter's bed pad outside and get the rest of her laundry in the dryer. I don't like to put the pad thru the dryer because it is hard on the vinyl backing. Want to get her bed done before a friend of a friend comes to pick us up for a belated Tnksgiving dinner at the friend's house. We'll be late getting home. Wish daughter hadn't chosen today to sleep in and pee the bed. Guess I should have routed her out sooner but I was enjoying a little relaxing time. See, I paid for it. (Rueful grimace.)

:hug3:

Ambergris, I was just glad I wasn't any the worse for the wear - Mt Rider, Mom is feeling a little better but this wasn't the best day for any of us. May be time to pack it all in for the night and get a better start tomorrow.

Right now I'm wearing my brace and the ortho fit device (some sort of electric field contraption spose to make your bones heal faster and better). It's 4 hours a day, however you want to configure - 4 in one go, 2 here 2 there etc.

:wacko:

Edited by The MacKinnon

Ouch! I've passed out off the toilet before too, except from pain. It is very disorienting (is that a word?) I've tried to get to the floor when I thought I was going to pass out but sometimes I didn't make it in time. Glad you recovered without pulling your stitches apart...or worse.

It's been a quiet weekend around here. I'm just glad tomorrow is Monday and things can be back to 'normal' around here. Hopefully I can get my hair cut this week. It needs it bad! I usually let it grow out enough to donate to Locks Of Love but with all the canning I've been doing, I like to keep it shorter...shoulder length. It helps to keep it shorter in the winter so I can easily use hot wraps on the arthritis in my neck too.

Gees, I just painted a lovely picture of myself, huh? :gdtmi:

• 2 weeks later...