MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Monk's Hood

sygnet

I'm not sure if this isthe right place for this, Mods, please move if it isn't?

I have a rather large patch of Monk's Hood I need to get rid of, but I've been told it is actually quite a dangerous plant to burn, handle, or compost. Does anyone know how to safely dispose of same, and how tenatious is their root system?

Any information appreciated. (Or are there some benefits to this plant I should be aware of?)

• 1 month later...

All parts of the plant are deadly poisonous.

A perennial herb with a tuberous root. The generic name is Aconitum. Used in ancient times for poisoning arrows. The specific name, napellus.

Any contact with the living plant - even the smell of it - is highly dangerous. The tubers contain up to 1.5% of alkaloids - the poisonous aconitine, napelline and nenzylaconitine - also sugars, starch and resin. Aconitine is one of the most potent nerve poisons in the plant kingdom.

Only 10 grams of the root is a fatal dose.

A Google search turned up very little, one comment was notable; 'if wearing gloves then you must still wash your hands as when your remove the gloves there can still be traces of toxins present. '

I suggest digging it up, bagging it and finding a refuse center that can deal with hazardous materials.

Wow. That sure was a reliable tip!!

Yes, it seems it is dangerous. Wonder why anyone would have planted a bunch of it in a garden??? :motz_6:

Yes, I'll dig out the whole area because it is ideal space for strawberries, and I don't want any residual monkshood involved!!

Thank you for the naswer.

Archived