MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WE'VE BEEN ADOPTED?

We've talked several times about getting a young cat(s) to raise at the Homestead when we relocate there to be outside cats, for mousing etc. But that's a "future" project. Well...there's a cat that has apparently adopted us! It's staying on top of a barrell, under the carport, that we have Abby-girl's old fleece dog bed. Can't tell if it's a boy or girl because it's not friendly. It does have a white flea collar on it so it must have belonged to somebody at some time, but the collar looks a bit tight. We can't remove it because it moves away every time we come near. It doesn't run, just moves away. Abby is tickled pink, and just wishes she could get close enough to make friends! LOL MrWE2 put some dog kibbles out within it's view and it immediately began to chow down. It's been sleeping there all week. We fed it because it's so cold and we just can't stand to see it curled up in a tight ball trying to keep warm in this kind of weather. When it does run away, it runs under our camper van even though there's an old shed next door that's got a doggie door. Anyway, we've decided to call it "Ugly" because it is. It's the ugliest cat you can imagine! Scrawny, greyish stripes with a white patch on one corner of it's mouth/jar/nose, and it's tail looks like a possum tail! Anyway...we think we've been adobted instead of us adopting one. Maybe...I'll be able to get a picture of Ugly before much longer LOL!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our kitties often come to us in one way or another. hmm come to think of it.. I can't say I've had to go looking for a kitty. Even the one we got from a friend.. the kitty tagged along in her car and so she carried it into scouts one night and asked if we knew anyone who wanted a kitty.. that she was going to get the kitty fixed and it would be available. Well I'd just told my oldest daughter that we could get another when we could afford to get one fixed.. and here's one for free that was (going to be) fixed. Yep.. she's our kitty now.

Edited by Suncat

Our "ugly" was a scrawny solid grey cat with a non-fluffy rat tail. I was a kid (Jr. Hi?) and crawled underneath our porch [remove lattice work] to feed her some raw liver I'd begged from my mom. I was known for taming WILD cats and kittens. She had two grey kittens and I'd already tamed them. I'd been working on the momma. Hunger/weakness finally had her literally eating out of my hand that afternoon.

Good thing it was late fall ....no spiders under there or she might have died. :animal0017: I hate spiders/snakes, y'know.

Turns out she lived...tho without that liver and subsequent food I gave her, she wouldn't have. One of her kittens named Tuffy eventually went home with my MO grandparents and lived a long, spoiled, adored life. LOL The momma lived with us a long time too. Suppose the other kitten did too but it wasn't memorable, I guess. :shrug: Momma Cat never did get to looking any better than she came as....filled out a bit with regular food tho. Skittish til the day she died but not the kittens.

MtRider ....."Kitty Whisperer" ;)

Edited by Mt_Rider

Okay, here's "Ugly"...eating his daily meal, sitting on top of his fluffy white fleece bed, that used to belong to Abby-girl. Abby always tries to tear it up so we took it away some time ago. Now? She's trying to figure out why Ugly's got it :-) We're still not sure if it's a he or she, or old or ??? Either way, Ugly's got a warmer place to sleep that previously? and we know it's getting at least one nutritious meal (Abby's 4-Health dog kibbles). We were really concerned last night because it got down to 21, but Ugly's still here with us. We've got a smaller dog house that Abby grew out of. We're going to get it from the Homestead garage and see if we can set it up for Ugly to call home. We're not sure where to sit it though because Ugly seems to want to perch up high and view the whole area...for safety? We're hoping Ugly's not a poor male cat that got the worst of it and has no other place to go. We're able to get within a couple of feet of it, and it moves away, but doesn't run. We keep Abby on leash and let her get a couple of feet from Ugly, and we tell her "Ugly" and restrain her. So far, Ugly just watches her...as if knowing we've got Abby in control. If Ugly's going to stick around, he/she will need to get to know Abby-girl.

post-9087-0-41758900-1451531161_thumb.jpg

Ugly's rather a pretty cat really. Not ugly at all.

And you are doing an innocent animal a favour, taking care of it.

He/she is way better of now and might make a good mouser for you.

Well done.

No heating pad...electricity in rain or snow wouldn't be good :-( Tonight when MrWE2 put Ugly's kibbles down, he reached over and scratched his bottom (he was curled up asleep) and all he did was turn and start to eat. Yeh! Progress? It leaves every day about noon and we're figuring it's a "potty break" because it's never for very long, and then again for just a little while after it's eaten it's kibbles. We'll try to get the dog house over here before too much longer and see if Ugly will make it his/her home. We'll put the white fleece bed inside so he/she will know it's his/hers. We're really thinking it's a "he" so we'll probably refer to HIM from now own until we know different since we don't see a bunch of other tom's hanging around. Let's hope we don't find out it's a "she" the hard way...a litter of kittens :-(

MrWE2's making progress with Ugly! Yeah!!! When he came "home" for the evening, MrWE2 took his kibbles out to him and was able to scratch his neck to wake him up to eat. Then while he was eating, MrWE2 was also able to scratch his neck! We'll bring the dog house over tomorrow and set it where he's sleeping, and put the white fleece bed in it along with a few of his kibbles. We're only feeding him when he comes "home" for the evening. We want him to prowl and mouse etc. We're starting to feel "attached" to him so maybe he's starting to feel the same way? Hopefully he'll get friendly enough to let us take him to the vet for some shots etc. and take that stupid flea collar off! Anyway...for now...he belongs to us!

Edited by The WE2's

He was gone all day today so we're thinking he's getting stronger by being fed and that because it was sunny and not so windy, he went mousing :-) He came home after dark so MrWE2 went on out and dropped his kibbles on his bed. He didn't even flinch, so it will be there when he wakes up. We didn't go get the dog house. We just didn't leave the house at all today. If fact, didn't even wake up until after 9am. I'm thinking it's the oil diffusers I plugged in last night. I made up a bottle of the eucalyptus and added some lavender to it and put that on the wicks tonight. Oh my what a wonderful smell :-) By mixing it up in the bottle with a carrier oil, it will be alot easier to just put a drop or two on each wick each night. We've still got to get the humidifier put in the livingroom. Perhaps tomorrow?

Ugly was gone all day again today, but showed up after dark. So...his kibbles were placed on his bed "as usual"...LOL We failed to get the dog house today. Too much other stuff going on :-( But the nights haven't been nearly as cold as they have been.

Well Ugly seems to have a pattern, he leaves and comes back after dark. We saw him "roaming" across a yard and he's really got a belly on him! Guess he is getting our meals and mice, and probably an older cat? Anyway, tonight MrWE2 put the dog house up where he was sleeping, put the fleece bed inside the dog house, and we put some kibbles with some chicken stock in a bowl, inside Ugly's new house. When MrWE2 went out, Ugly was curled up a bit away from it. So! MrWE2 picked him up!!!! Yes, he allowed MrWE2 to pick him up and put him inside his new house, and he began to eat! Progress for sure. MrWE2 said he did "sort of resist" with his back feet, but he wasn't feral, and MrWE2 didn't have far to go with him, just a matter of inches. Not sure if he'll stay inside or not, but we'll check later on. Next...off comes the flea collar.

We're just not sure. Don't know that much about cats. Do they have kittens in winter? Ugly didn't sleep in his house. He stayed in there long enough to eat, then came right back out, curled up oon the other fleece bed (we put another down) and slept there. So...we turned the house around to face our back door thinking perhaps he'd feel safer? Figure? Leaves every morning, comes back every night. Perhaps he's hunting, perhaps he's scavaging? Just don't know. We'll just leave him be for as long as he wants to stay.