MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Brands of canners...

OK ~ we got a tax refund :cele: and so *deep breathe* it's time to to order my first pressure canner.

Now, WalMart.com has a Presto 23 quart for $97.98 (with free shipping to my local store) but I want to have the weighted thing-y (instead of just the dial gauge) and WalMart doesn't seem to carry it.

The CanningPantry.com has the same canner for $84.95 ~ but they charge shipping so it's basically the saem price. And again, I didn't see the weighted thing-y listed for sale there, either.

Amazon.com has it for $71.99 ~ and it qualifies for supersaver free shipping! BUT ~ they don't seem to have the weighted thing-y (and I have got to stop calling it that! ;) ) either!!!! :(

Is there a place that would be good to order from that carries both items? I'd really appreciate any advice anyone here might have. :)

: Christy

Edited by ChristyK
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, CannedNerd! :)

But things have changed ~ my dearest, most darling husband :kissy: said to go ahead and get the AA pressure canner! :thumbs: Woo-hoo!!!!! He said it looked as though it was a quality item and would be a fine thing to have and be able to share with our children and their future children ~ and hey, who am I to argue with that?? :D

Oh, I'm so excited :cele: ~ this is going to be great, getting to know how this whole pressure canning thing works ... assuming I don't blow myself/my kitchen up with it, that is. :rolleyes: But y'all have assured me that if I'm careful that won't happen ... right? :pray:

• 2 weeks later...
You can process 7 quarts/19 pints in the 921 or the 925...there is no difference there. The only difference is the 925 is a little bit bigger, which means a little bit heavier, so that'll be a personal preference.

For me, I can't think of any advantage I'd get from the 925 over the 921, but perhaps someone else might have a reason.

The Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry pressure canner is a weighted gauge canner just like the "All American" is.

Hello good people,

This forum thing is new to me so if I make a mistake, just let me know...

My husband and I are very interested in getting a pressure canner. I have water-bath canned for years, but my freezer fills up every year with the produce that I can't can in that manner...Anyway.... I am trying to decide between the AA 921 or the AA 925. The only advantage that I could think of is that perhaps the 921 won't take the 1.5 quart jars. Having never actually seen either canner, I'm not sure if this is true... If I don't have to get the bigger, heavier one, I would prefer not to. But, there are times when I use my larger jars....

Any help on this matter? B)

Hello good people,

This forum thing is new to me so if I make a mistake, just let me know...

My husband and I are very interested in getting a pressure canner. I have water-bath canned for years, but my freezer fills up every year with the produce that I can't can in that manner...Anyway.... I am trying to decide between the AA 921 or the AA 925. The only advantage that I could think of is that perhaps the 921 won't take the 1.5 quart jars. Having never actually seen either canner, I'm not sure if this is true... If I don't have to get the bigger, heavier one, I would prefer not to. But, there are times when I use my larger jars....

Any help on this matter? B)

You are not able to safely can anything in a jar larger than a quart. Not other than fruit juice, not even tomato juice. Besides, you need a really tall canner in order to use larger jars.

I don't think there is an advantage to the larger one in this case. I would go for price on the two models.

I agree with Violet. The 925 has no advantages to canning...it's just a bigger and heavier pot. I have the 921 and I can do everything in it, than I can do in the 925, so don't spend the extra money.

I agree with Violet. The 925 has no advantages to canning...it's just a bigger and heavier pot. I have the 921 and I can do everything in it, than I can do in the 925, so don't spend the extra money.

Thank you both... I'll go with the 921, then. I am curious as to why it's not safe to use jars larger than quarts?

The larger jars take too long to process the foods. Often the food becomes too thick or dense for the heat to properly penetrate while canning. Botulism can grow in those cases or in high acid foods, like fruits, the fruits can mold or ferment.

Ony fruit juice, not even tomato juice in the half gallon jars. I don't know how you can really find a canner tall enough for them considering the water would have to come up over the tops of the jars by 1 or 2 inches and still have room to boil.

From USDA:

What can I process in half-gallon canning jars?

At least one canning jar manufacturer is selling half-gallon canning jars. That manufacturer has a printed note on the top that says half-gallon jars are only used for some highly acidic foods in a boiling water canner, with instructions to call a toll-free number for the instructions. When we last called, the only choices are grape juice and apple juice, as we also recommend.

The only processes that USDA, the National Center for Home Food Preservation and the University of Georgia have to recommend for half-gallon jars are for very acidic fruit juices (and juice only): Apple Juice (http://www.homefoodpreservation.com/how/can_02/apple_juice.html) and Grape Juice (http://www.homefoodpreservation.com/how/can_02/grape_juice.html). This process time is not to be used for tomato juice, for example.

There are no other research-tested processes for half-gallon jars. Boiling water processes for other foods for jars larger than those published with recipes (usually pints and/or quarts) cannot be extended by any formula to a larger jar.

We are aware that there are historical recommendations for canning foods in half-gallon jars. However, these are not currently accepted or endorsed by the USDA, Cooperative Extension System or U.S. manufacturers of home canning jars.

Wow, thank you Violet.... that was a very thorough answer.. I guess I'll be finding another use for my large jars...

I have another question that is off the topic of pressure canning. I have searched the archives and haven't been able to find anything (which doesn't mean that it isn't there). I want to get a grain mill and have been reading up about The Country Living Grain Mill. Does anyone have any information about them? If there is another thread about this topic, please tell me know.

• 1 month later...

Hi, folks!

I know its been awhile since I've been here. I was reading about canner recommendations. I personally have my MIL's old canner, its a National Ol' #7. I've ordered a new gasket, over pressure/automatic pressure vent, the steam guage and the book that goes with it.

We also have a 30 x 30 garden planted and many container plants, so I'll definitely be back here asking advice and having fun.

Kathye

After writing this note, I went to town stopping at my mailbox on the way, In the mailbox were the parts for my canner!!!

Edited by katholc

I LOVE my National No 7. I've got 2 - and a No. 5. I'm looking for another No.5 :)

They're great.

Good luck with the canning.

I know I'll probably get an answer here faster then from Presto. What size is this canner? It still has the original price tag and some kind of little envelope but no size information. I'm sure here will know or otherwise I clean the sink out and start measuring quarts :D

Kathye

• 4 weeks later...
OK ~ we got a tax refund :cele: and so *deep breathe* it's time to to order my first pressure canner.

Now, WalMart.com has a Presto 23 quart for $97.98 (with free shipping to my local store) but I want to have the weighted thing-y (instead of just the dial gauge) and WalMart doesn't seem to carry it.

The CanningPantry.com has the same canner for $84.95 ~ but they charge shipping so it's basically the saem price. And again, I didn't see the weighted thing-y listed for sale there, either.

Amazon.com has it for $71.99 ~ and it qualifies for supersaver free shipping! BUT ~ they don't seem to have the weighted thing-y (and I have got to stop calling it that! ;) ) either!!!! :(

Is there a place that would be good to order from that carries both items? I'd really appreciate any advice anyone here might have. :)

OH HOW HAPPY I AM THAT I FOUND THIS FORUM AND ESPECIALLY THIS PARTICULAR POST. I Have had my eye on that canner from Walmart for about 6 months, if I hadn't read this post I probably would have missed that very important detail. Thanks so m uch, now to go in search of a canner with the weighted thingie

Dianne,

It is really easy to get a weight set for a dial gauge Presto canner. Just order the part number 50332 from any place online that sells them. I normally order the sets from RedHill General Store. Fast service, too.

It can depend upon what kind of stove you have as to what kind of canner you will need to buy. A glass top stove may or may not be used, depending upon the manufacturer. Presto is the only one that states on the box it can be used with flat top stoves.

If you have an electric coil stove, you will need to get a special canning element or you risk killing your stove. How do I know ?? I learned the hard way, after the fact, that there is a special element for the stove. I killed 2 stoves before anyone ever told me this.

The Presto 23 quart canner is really good, but I do suggest the 3 piece weight set so you don't have to worry about getting the gauge tested. You are doing exactly as the new All American canner in doing so, you have both a dial and a weighted system.

I use the Presto because I cannot lift the heavy All American canners due to my back problems. I can find the Presto parts here a lot easier than Mirro. Mirro is only a weighted gauge canner, though, no dial involved.

So, if you have any questions, give a holler and I will help you out.

• 1 month later...

I read this whole thread, after the fact. I went with my theme song "If its good, walmart would be selling it". I bought their Presto 16 Qt, the one with the weight thingies. It looks all strange to me, i've water bathed foods, but never pressured them. I'm like a few others here, anything pressurized scares the heck out of me. I do this squinty eyed face that the thought. But I'll be strong and as soon as my tomatoes start turning, you can bet i'll have this puppy set and ready.

Canned Nerd,

They started selling that 16 quart size a couple years ago. No dial, just the weight set. Yes, same 3 piece set that I have been telling folks they can get and use on the dial gauge canner.

Cowgirl, they are totally safe. Especially with the weights since they self vent and will not get over the pressure you have set with the weight. We are here cheering you on !!

It is fun !!

It says on the box, holds 7 qt, 10 pints, 12 half pint mason jars. Any bigger and it wouldnt fit on my cooktop, its a very confined area.

Since i no longer cook for a army, family of 6, downsized to 2 now, i dont really need quanity, just looking for home grown things of our own.

Edited by cowgirl8

I have a 10 quart canner that only holds 4 quarts or I think 7 pints. Regardless, it's small but it does the job just the same as my big boys and girls.

I read this whole thread, after the fact. I went with my theme song "If its good, walmart would be selling it". I bought their Presto 16 Qt, the one with the weight thingies. It looks all strange to me, i've water bathed foods, but never pressured them. I'm like a few others here, anything pressurized scares the heck out of me. I do this squinty eyed face that the thought. But I'll be strong and as soon as my tomatoes start turning, you can bet i'll have this puppy set and ready.

I just did my very first pressure canning a couple weeks ago. I sat on a chair and watched it the whole time waiting for the explosion...it never happened, lol

Once you get through the first time you'll relax a lot.