MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What IS this? new way to purchase?

Dash Button is a battery-powered, Wi-Fi enabled device that allows you to reorder your favorite household products at any time with the press of a button.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Dash

The Dash Button and Dash Replenishment Service (DRS) were introduced by Amazon.com on March 31, 2015. Due to the timing of the announcement, there were a number of news stories questioning whether the Dash Button was an early April Fools joke.[5][6]

The Amazon Dash Button is a small electronic device designed to make ordering products easier and faster. The Dash buttons come in packs; each device contains an embedded button and is emblazoned with the name of an oft-ordered product. Users can configure each button to order a specific product and quantity, via the user's Amazon.com account, and mount the buttons, using adhesive tape or a plastic clip, to locations where they use the products. Pressing the button would send a Wi-Fi signal to the Amazon Shopping app, and automatically order new stock of whatever product the button is configured to order; the click would also send a message to the user's mobile phone, and the user would have a half-hour window to cancel.

Initially, the Dash buttons are available by invitation-only to Amazon Prime members, who must then request the devices. The devices have received mixed reviews from critics and reporters,[7][8][9] and have been parodied online.[10]

Amazon Dash Buttons partner with over 60 brands. The most popular Dash Buttons are the Tide, Bounty, and Cottonelle buttons.[11]

I had never heard of it. Don't think I like it, but I am sure other people are just thrilled.

I read about this on amazon and to tell the truth,for me it costs more to do it this way , being a singular adult household primarily. If I had a larger family and was using more of these products than I do now, other than laundry soap, I would consider it but I would rather not be obligated, and it's another system.

I would rather just set up monthly orders if I could guarantee delivery safety for prime products, on the website itself. I worry that these things could be hacked remotely and your bank account could be wiped out before you know it and you might have 50 items delivered all at once of the same thing before you realized what has happened too.

As you can tell , I am very leery of automated systems involving my bank account information.

<snip>

As you can tell , I am very leery of automated systems involving my bank account information.

ME TOOOOO!

:sassing::shakinghead:

I mean....I do get frustrated when I run out of X-product and determine to put it on the shopping list when I get back to the kitchen.......and nearly ALWAYS forget by the time I get back there.... :motz_6:

But I think I could non-electronically put up LISTS in other parts of the house and collect them all on a shopping day. :shopping: I don't shop Amazon anyway...

MtRider ....good marketing strategy for the "Device-Attached" generations. Not so much for the "Device-Allergic" generations... :008Laughing:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Device-allergic, ( I like that phrase~ )

I see far too many hackings going on with electronics and data on computers. I also can forget I signed up for stuff or the website itself skewed things and just had a very harsh lesson in that , or not go back in a timely manner to make sure a paymt was made, so it can 'add' up . , so while I don't mind shopping amazon, it is very helpful, I only get stuff sent to my po box in town now due to sticky fingered neighbors in this building, or Lousy delivery .....and won't be ordering cases of food til I can get to NE, due to that. You still have to check for better local deals and if you can get them , get them !

I know I will have a separate home to live in and at least one good neighbor next door, nice wounded warrior lady in fact. M told me what happened to her, but it's something that will remain private as it was a very personal thing. Not the usual methods, let's just say, but M says we ought to be good neighbors and can do stuff with each other. I would certainly be glad to help her out anytime she might need a hand at something. I am sure we can agree to be on the look out for deliveries and such on the door step for each other , in time.

Plus with the move, I don't want to add to it , what I do have already. If I don't have to. I just plan on setting ,money aside each month, and it is prioritized for transportation and getting settled in NE once I arrive. Also if Plan B was needed before that I can hit the dollar store for canned goods,lol, if need be. ETC.