MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Basic NT Questions

amyd

As with anything new, the transition to NT seems overwhelming! I know baby steps are the answer. I posted this on another board I frequent. . . I'd love to hear your advice etc. Links are welcome too!

I recently bought some raw milk from the Amish semi-near where I live. (It's SOOO yummy!)

Anyway, while looking online for the health benefits (there seem to be quite a few) of it vs. pasteurized I ran across quite a few references to Nourishing Traditions. I've heard of the book before but never really paid much attention. I read more and more and finally used some Swagbucks Amazon gift cards and ordered it.

I find it really interesting and it goes along with some of my own theories about food/eating/processed foods etc.

My questions are:

Have you read it?

Do you follow it? How closely?

What are the best ways to frugally follow it?

What do you NOT do that is recommended?

Any other thoughts/suggestions/etc, I'd love to hear also!

Yes, I LOVE Swagbucks!

There is a bit of cream on the top but it's pre-separated mostly. Not enough to make butter with, just enought to have to shake the milk before you pour it. The next town over (14 miles) has much better grocery sales than our IGA with no competition. The amish farm is about 10 miles past this town. I figure if I'm already that far, it's worth the extra miles for milk/eggs/salvage grocery store stop on my Saturday morning shopping trips. I travel that far about once a month, sometimes twice for groceries. We have a Wal Mart (8 miles away) or an Aldi in our town that I round out my shopping with.

Sometimes they have homemade butter for sale too!

I LOVE going there. I took a friend a few weeks ago and she kind of turned up her nose at the dented cans, mashed boxes etc. Granted there did seem to be more damaged packaging than usual, but for the price it sure doesn't bother me!

My questions are:

Have you read it?

Do you follow it? How closely?

What are the best ways to frugally follow it?

What do you NOT do that is recommended?

Any other thoughts/suggestions/etc, I'd love to hear also!

Yes, I've read it, I own it, but it's been a while.

We do follow NT, however, I'm a bit further along on my journey now, and I follow a primal/paleo diet.

The best ways to frugally follow it are the same as being frugal overall- I hesitate to suggest this, because I don't eat either anymore, but lots of grains and beans, and shopping sales, etc. I've found coupons aren't very useful, since I don't buy a lot of those kinds of foods anymore. But when you buy the basics, it's helpful. Maybe this book would be useful to you? http://www.keeperofthehome.org/my-books/real-food-on-a-real-budget-book

Hmmm... I can't remember the list much anymore, but I don't get raw dairy right now.

The NT way is the old way, just focus on getting those processed foods out. It's a journey, not something you have to do all at once. I recommend taking your favorite recipes, and removing the processed ingredients, and replacing them with whole ones. If you need help, post a recipe. I'm really good at doing this. :)

The way I eat now is closer to the Garden of Eating way- I LOVE that cookbook and use it as my cooking bible! SO much useful info in there about shopping, menu planning, meal prep, etc. http://www.thegardenofeatingdiet.com/

Archived