MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Traditional foods lifestyle

I think in many ways, it's much more about how we prepare our food over the choice of food. Soaking the grains, fermenting veges and dairy, making things more bioavailable and nutritious.

And no one should be without Nourishing Traditions cookbook, of course. :)

I have just started working towards a TF lifestyle, but there are still things I have to do without for now. I am making my own breads with whole wheat flour, but don't yet have a grain grinder, and buying wheat berries are a little out of my pocketbook level.

Beck... also a note here that if you sprout your grains, you can get by without a grinder for now. I use my Vitamixer for grinding sprouted grains, and sometimes have even used my food processor for coarse grain grinds. Sprouting makes it softer and more vegetative, so it's easier to grind without all of those wheels.

In fact, I've often thought if I don't get a hand grinder before TSHTF, then I can just sprout the grains an extra day and grinding the sprouts can be done by hand no problem.

You can buy wheat from Walton - they claim their wheat has no trace levels of pesticides. I buy the organic wheat from them. Contact your local LDS church, they are more than willing to let a non member (if you are not a member, that is) jump on a Walton Feed order if they do one. If they don't, you may be able to get one started. You get a deep discount by doing it this way. The downside is you have to wait until the truck fills up and Walton to send it. But if you are doing it for storage and money saving, it's well worth the wait. My local LDS church is doing an order now for fall.

Here's an example of the cost. (Note that the first ones are organic) - the costs for your local area may vary... and these include shipping.

O001 Wheat–Hard Red Organic dbl plastic 25# bag $22.30

O002 Wheat–Hard Red Organic Paper 50# bag $39.80

O003 Wheat–Hard Red Organic dbl plastic 50# bag $40.20

O004 Wheat–Hard Red Organic 6 gal 45# bckt RB $44.72

O005 Wheat–Hard Red Organic 6 gal 45# bckt SP $47.52

O006 Wheat–Hard Red Organic Wheat 88oz #10 can $6.98

O007 Wheat–Hard Red Organic Wheat 6 #10 cans $39.86

W001 Wheat–Hard Red Paper 50# bag $19.75

W002 Wheat–Hard Red double plastic 25# bag $13.28

W003 Wheat–Hard Red double plastic 50# bag $20.18

W004 Wheat–Hard Red 4 gal 28.5# RB $19.53

W005 Wheat–Hard Red 5 gal 36# RB $21.44

W006 Wheat–Hard Red 6 gal 45# RB $23.72

W007 Wheat–Hard Red 6 gal 45# SP $26.70

W008 Wheat–Hard Red Wheat in 88oz #10 Can $5.40

W009 Wheat–Hard Red 33# 6 #10 cans $29.26

W030 Wheat–Hard White double plastic 25# bag $13.87

W031 Wheat–Hard White Paper 50# bag $21.03

W032 Wheat–Hard White double plastic 50# bag $21.49

W033 Wheat–Hard White 6 gal 45# bckt RB $25.38

W034 Wheat–Hard White 6 gal 45# bckt SP $28.35

W035 Wheat–Hard White Wheat 33# 6 #10 cans $31.43

W036 Wheat–Hard White Wheat 88oz #10 Can $5.57

AO54God, This is a WONDERFUL thread and one I was just thinking of starting after seeing TF mentioned in the thread on Coconut oil.

At first glance by people they may not think of this thread as belonging in Nature's RX but it truly does. The way we eat drastically changes the way we feel no matter WHAT our maladies. There are so many types of diets out there, even healthy ones. The paleo diet is one that comes to mind as being very close to the traditional one. Sometimes known as the Caveman's diet it advocates we eat foods that only our cavemen ancestors might have eaten. Another is the raw foods diet.

As an aside, my first introduction to a different way of eating came from the book Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe back in the very early 1970's. (She was trying to save our planet at the time I believe and I was very much for that). While that book doesn't give us the information that our Traditional Foods books and web sites do today, it is still worth a read to open one's eyes to just how far seeing she really was. http://www.smallplanet.org/

There are other proponents of whole foods out there. Some, like the Maker's diet, are very strict in their approach and are sometimes difficult to stay on. The reason really has little to do with your will power or even the cost in most instances. It has more to do with our bodies being adjusted to what we have been forced to consume because we had very little alternative unless we did our research and/or found resources. Changing to a whole foods/traditional diet comes with physical changes in our bodies and that can cause it's own, innitial, problems as our bodies adjust. It is much easier to let it do so gradually. You will often find cravings to begin with that will undermine your desire to stick to what your mind knows is healthy. Like AO45G and others have said, start gradually. This will let your body become accustomed to the new way of life gradually and will be easier to maintain.

To help us all to be better able to persue this diet, I'm going to start another thread with a resourse list to help us with the Traditional foods diet. Keep this one going for discussion purposes and keep the other one for a quick reference.

This is truly a :thumbs: thread.

:bighug2:

Thank you, Mother. Your support (along with everyone else's here) is truly awesome! I agree that it belongs here as well, because by simply changing your diet, you can alleviate &/or eliminate so many health issues. Simply by eating the foods that Nature offers.

You mentioned the Caveman diet. I recently found a primal blog: http://www.sonofgrok.com/

Nourishing Traditions is one of my main go-to cookbooks for TF. I've tweeked some of the recipes for our tastes, but yes, it is exactly like Nourishing Traditions.

eta: I checked out that blog and it's great! I really like it, so it's bookmarked now! Thanks!

Oh good. Then I know what you're talking about! :D

I tend to do really well on the hunter gatherer type diet. But I do like whole grain breads, and the occasional cookie or pie or piece of cake on a special day. There are groups on yahoo, Paleo something or other, but I don't want to read the ninny's stuff that is posted so often, but it really is good for basics. I also like dairy and figure God put cows and goats on the earth for a reason, and also come from northern stock and I am accustomed to dairy products and will continue to have them in my diet, so maybe TF is a logical thing.... which it is!

Speaking of which, I have a pie that is coming out of the oven.

• 3 months later...

Hi. I've been away from the boards for a while. I tend to run in spurts with computer usage.

Anyway . . . I follow a vegan whole foods diet. It is amazing! I lost 25 pounds and 25 inches in 5 months. All my Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) symptoms disappeared and I haven't had so much as a head cold the entire time since switching.

It is really easy to follow. Just whole grains, dried beans, raw nuts and seeds, fruits and veggies. I have used 1 quart of olive oil in 5 months. So the diet is pretty cheap.

It makes prepping even easier. A bucket of each type of grain and bean that I eat, nuts and seeds in the freezer or a cool room, and fresh or dehydrated fruit and veggies. It takes very little space to store it all. Before the switch we had an entire room set aside for food storage, now it fits in a regular pantry along with a stack of buckets.

Be well,

Kim

• 1 year later...

I still think I have a copy of Diet For A Small Planet somewhere...that was also one of the first books on healthy living I read. Mother, did you start a thread for resources. I've been searching and can't find it.

This is a really excellent thread I somehow missed...

Archived