MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

sadness for my sister

January 2015 my brother in law was running a 5k and at age of 53 had a heart attack.

He was lucky the ems was right behind him and got his heart going again.He recovered nicely and was back to running races. This past January he ran in the same race and had dinner with the paramedics that saved his life,

Christmas eve 2016 his 56 year old brother had a heart attack at his home. Sadly he didn't make it. Three weeks later my brother in law had a massive stroke. He was recovering when he started to have setbacks, finally he got a blood infection which he didn't recover from. In the space of 6 weeks my brother in laws family lost 2 sons. My sister is devastated, She and my brother in law just had their 29th anniversary. I feel so bad for my sister and although I went to the funeral I live 500 miles way and can't be there for her. Phone calls only go so far.

Don't discount those phone calls' value though. Being a widow is a very hard adjustment and those phone calls are life preservers to a drowning person. And you will notice changes as she grapples with being involuntarily and suddenly "single" on top of grief and shock. All you can really do is keep in touch and let her know you are there for her in spirit. She will understand.

Edited by kappydell
  • 2 years later...

You don't have to treat death like grief. This is a continuation of life, so you need to move on. Unfortunately, I know what I'm talking about, from my own experience, I've also had losses in my family.

Support your loved one as much as you can, but try to convey this idea to them, otherwise they may shut down and everything will be much worse.

• Like 1