MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

feeling useless

:balloons: Oh VERY good news!!!!!!! Not that surgery/rehab will be a picnic. But looking forward to being on two solid feet again will propel you through that period of time.

Make sure you address the corrections/adaptions the REST of your body has made since you've spent soooo long crooked. All those muscles and ligaments alllll over will be in the wrong postions. Try good body massage or chiropractor. Or....at the very least, make sure your PT addresses that. It will speed your progress and comfort.

MtRider :cheer: [ PS...you weren't worthless while disabled anyway..... ] :P

Kappy, you're gonna be a new gal! Woohoo! My first/late husband went through the hip thing and had a new hip "installed" LOL Just be sure to let them take you through ALL the rehab exercises etc. The surgery revealed on him just about the same thing they've told you...they were amazed that even with crutches, he could get around. The surgery took awhile, but with pain meds, they had his leg & ankle/foot strapped into a machine thing that was bending his leg/knee etc. down and back towards his hip, before he was even awake! They had such knowledge and I'm sure they've got tons more now!!! I'm so happy for you...go girl! LOL

• 1 month later...

Well, the hip is 'done' and I have been home a little over a week. The therapy folks have been by, giving me exercises, which I do religiously. It is really exciting to be able to look myself in the eye in the mirror again, and my pal Mary nearly cried when she was me standing up straight again. (I gained 3 inches in height!)I still tire easily, but can see improvement daily, so I keep on plugging along, doing just a smidgen more every day. (I keep notes of my progress in the same notebook I use to keep my weight loss diet notes in.) BTW I lost almost 40 lbs since I started that project, and had to dig out my smaller clothes again. They are prettier than the bigger clothes, so I'm feeling happy about that, too. So things are progressing well! Woohoo!

Well, the hip is 'done' and I have been home a little over a week. The therapy folks have been by, giving me exercises, which I do religiously. It is really exciting to be able to look myself in the eye in the mirror again, and my pal Mary nearly cried when she was me standing up straight again. (I gained 3 inches in height!)I still tire easily, but can see improvement daily, so I keep on plugging along, doing just a smidgen more every day. (I keep notes of my progress in the same notebook I use to keep my weight loss diet notes in.) BTW I lost almost 40 lbs since I started that project, and had to dig out my smaller clothes again. They are prettier than the bigger clothes, so I'm feeling happy about that, too. So things are progressing well! Woohoo!

Congratulations! Not only successful in recovery but successful in weight loss! Good thing you've got the smaller sizes...LOL

That is basically what I am doing...I promised the PT people I wouldn't jump ahead, but might do a few extra reps, etc. of the stuff they have me doing. Thursday we are going to start working with a cane. It has been several years since I used one, so I'm looking forward to it. Staples came out today too (good thing, they were starting to itch!)

Sounds like you're progressing wonderfully! Have several friends that have had hip or knee replacements, and they've found that dancing is definitely good for them...as long as it's not twisting those joints. That's one reason we love the ballroom-type dancing...slow and easy and lots of fun. One of our friends teaches dance at our local college, and line dancing for the ladies is very popular...and age isn't a factor...believe me! We've been astounded to see ladies in their 70's+ out there doing the "Electric Slide"...yeh for the seniors!

• 7 months later...

Well, I'm down to a cane now, and scoot around the house without it quite a bit. Now I'm working on retraining my muscles so I can stand straighter. Thank you for the encouragement.

I do have a question though...why is it that people who claim to love someone nonetheless feel free to judge their choices in life? I have never judged other's choices, just took them at face value and rejoiced with them when things went well, and commiserated when things did not. I always felt that since I was not in the other persons' shoes, and did not have their perspective and knowledge of the whole situation, that judging them would be hypocritical and just plain wrong. But I seem to stand alone on this...I love my family, but I loved my spouse, too, and it hurts when they casually pass judgement on his character, actions, and our life (30 years) together, when they know nothing of it. The man is dead and cant defend himself, only God should be judging him for Pete's sake. Oh well....thanks for the venting.

((((((((kappydell)))))))

Nice to see you again and hear you are walking better.

I am sorry, but I do not have any answers for you. I do know the feeling tho, too many people in my life have fluently shared their opinions….. sad, simply disheartening. You are right, "...only God should be judging..."

:sigh:

:pray: