MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WE'VE BEEN ADOPTED?

Well, Ugly is getting fairly friendly with MrWE2, let him scratch his back, scratch his chin and even did the "meow" to him! But...when I approached, he stood up and turned his back to me like he was ready to run so I backed off. Looks like he's had some serioius damage to his mouth or upper lip on his right side? That's why we call him Ugly. We just thought he "looked funny", but MrWE2 says he's got a tooth sticking out that keeps one side of his upper lip pulled up (sort of like a snarl). There's no blood or anything, so we're thinking it's an old injury...perhaps another cat or a car? Anyway...he's still hanging around at night (won't go into the house) and prowling during the day. We'll just let him be :-) I'll try to make friends with him later. Right now we just want to make sure he gets fed and has a safe shelter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe when its warmer you could take a chair out and crochet a dishcloth where he likes to sit and just talk to him occasionally and let him come to you. I did alot of that with my cat when I first got her. I take months to do one small step with her, but she is getting better with her ptsd and shy aloofness and loves her belly rubs and massages ,which really shows her trust level is very good, and will now come sit beside me for her treats and hangs out , but because I am a restless sleeper and its a small twin bed, she tends to sleep in her chair and enjoys the window seat idea here a lot. She has one other little table that has nothing on it, I use it to hold the old office chair steady in part of the living room and that all is her other favorite spot.

I use her treat times a lot to get her to sit with me a bit. She purrs like crazy too, she doesnt pester me, she doesnt insist on climbing on me, she doesnt rub against my legs when i walk in and thats good cause I would fall down these days probably if she was in that habit, and she does not come to greet me or would do that like many cats but we are working on stuff and she makes progress.

She has her moments of gallivanting and will use side table if they are clear of stuff and doesnt get on kitchen counters at least , she does 'talk' and is really cute about it with me, sometimes its definitely easy to understand her meaning. But all in all she is doing well and trusts me deeply and if she gets scared of noises outside I just talk her down in a calm voice and the next time she hears the same noise, shes a little better about it.

If I rush around my place she goes to scared mode and will find safe havens , so with anyone new, it would take a lot of effort to introduce her and they need to be very calm and gentle with her. Most cats are sturdier in those ways. They might march right up to any one and greet them, she is content to hang back and wait to see if you really want to interact. Macy is pretty compassionate. She even gets concerned about some sad country songs, and kittens if she hears them, she would go find them and rescue them, but adult cats. huh. I am pretty sure she wouldnt mind the average dog.

So, we are figuring it all out over time. I just really try to be mellow moving around her and when i do go give her attention, keep it smooth. and that helps her a lot. But this all has taken years. Teaching her it was ok for me to pick her up, but she likes it now for sure. So I can go put her down somewhere else and such. Teaching her on the subject of there are no monsters on the floor and such .... It takes a lot of calm patience but once she starts reckoning with it , whatever is bugging her, she makes improvements and eventually it gets very easy to do.

Mission accomplished! I walked out and began to talk to Ugly, scratched his neck (he was curled up & sleeping) and he looked up and looked at me as if "whatcha want?" I talked to him in soft baby talk about how I was going to take that old flea collar off. He let me do it! So then I gave him a thorough neck scratching and then a neck massage! I'm bettin' I'm his friend now! LOL Wanna see that old thing that was wrapped around his neck & stiff as a board? Needed to ps...that he's not leaving as much for the days now. But, it's been rainy so maybe he's staying dry and warm.

post-9087-0-81766000-1452271892_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

If its a him it might just need a good worming from the vet once you can get him to the vet for a good check up. ( round belly) or you might discover its a momma cat soon. Obviously could get that taken care of the sooner the better but it is at least making lots of progress with Mr WE2 .

Good point about the worms Sassy. There are tablets now that taste nice that rid worms and fleas at once.

Ugly would benefit from something like that.

You're so nice to your cat, well done.

We'll pick him up up some palatable treatments and mix it with his kibble and some broth. He slept in his house for the first time last night (so glad since it got down to 6). MrWE2 was really surprised to see him in it, looking out at him :-) BUT...when Abby-girl was let out for duties, Ugly was gone (not unusual) but another cat was curled up beside the doggie/cat house (but on the other side)...NOT GOOD! It skiddadled when MrWE2 took Abby-girl out. We'll not put any food out until Ugly's there to eat it. We're a bit fearful that another tom has run our Ugly off! Won't do it no good. The food and house are for Ugly only!

The other cat only stayed the day. Ugly was back IN HIS HOUSE last night! Yippee! But...when he left, the other cat climbed in :-( It's awefully pretty but very feral. Jumped out and ran when I approached Ugly's house and ran into the old shed next door. MrWE2 just went out to check if Ugly's home and he's not...:-( There may be a residential dispute?

Seems Ugly comes and goes as he wants :-) We only put his kibbles out when he's in HIS house :-) If the other cat ventures around or in, we're thinking Ugly runs it off? Anyway...it will get the idea probably? There's plenty of other places for it to shelter, and it has extremely long black & white hair so it's much more able to keep warm than Ugly. MrWE2 went out a bit ago and put Ugly's supper in his bowl (inside his house is where we put it) :-)

• 2 months later...

Ugly's not been around for at least a month. As soon as the weather started warming up he disappeared. But...that was also about the time the niece and her husband moved into the house next door (that had been empty with much sadness) and they have two puppies. Maybe he just felt too many dogs that close? Anyway...the house is still there should he decide he needs to take shelter.